Sign in to follow this  
gnomegemini

Fuel distribution and using

Hi there,

I read it 3 times and 4 times. Still don't get the clue.

When you start with full tanks you'd switch to alternate after 20mins after takeoff. When to consider the alt tanks to be empty? If it's zero or if it's let's say 200lbs left because of inaccuracy of the fuel measuring device?

Then, and this is the main question not clearly written for dummies in the POH, do you use the main inboard tanks until 79gal left and then use outboard or do you aim to level outboard and inboard and use tank to engine until land?

Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

Hi there Stefan,

I will be answering your question re. the fuel distribution. Tell you what - let me have a chat with Sam (our DC-6 Flight Engineer who consulted on this project) hopefully tomorrow, latest Monday (it is weekend after all). I will discuss your questions with him and then get back to you with good information. 

• Upvote 2

Cheers,

Henning

dc6_devteam_banner.jpg

I'll be looking forward to hearing back re:fuel management.  Could you also include the proper procedure for switching tanks and using x-feeds?

On a recent flight I tried to feed engines 1 and 2 from main2 and engines 3 and 4 from main3.  I put all main pumps to low, and moved the x-feed levers to the middle position.  I then pulled the tank valves for 1 and 4 to off - most aft position.  Engine 4 ran correctly, but engine 1 died.  Shouldn't it have been feeding from main2 and continue to run?

Thanks!

Evan Purcell

I will discuss your questions with him and then get back to you with good information. 

I really appreciate that! Thanks. :)

Hi Evan,

I am busy testing your scenario at the moment. Currently set up exactly as you described, with engines 1 & 2 feeding from Main2 and engines 3 & 4 feeding from main3. X-feed levers are in the 1-2/3-4 positions respectively. Tanks 1 and 4 are off (most aft position). See attached pic. So far I am not seeing any issues. I will keep flying and monitor this.

1-2_3-4_draw.png

• Upvote 1

Cheers,

Henning

dc6_devteam_banner.jpg

Hi Henning,

It's a funny thing because I've been able to get it working successfully also.  I'm not exactly sure what I did differently to make it work, but I'll keep looking.

I'd be happy to make a video of the problem, but I'll have to look into how to get that setup.  Any recommendations? :)

Thanks for your help,

Evan

Evan Purcell

I give up... I just did a test flight and was able to successfully make the tank switch and x-feed without any problems.  It must have been pilot error :)

Thanks for your help anyway!

Evan Purcell

Hi Evan,

The FE suggests to leave 120 lbs as safety measure to correct for gauge error.

It is advisable that you have more fuel in the inboard tanks vs. the outboard tanks to prevent high wing loading. In other words, best practice is to equalize your main tanks.
  • Upvote 2

Cheers,

Henning

dc6_devteam_banner.jpg