Sign in to follow this  
Alpenman

A New Convert

Not a new convert. had 10 for a while, but finally getting into it. Just a pain to stupa and understand its innards. At lleast ATC dont mess around with wrong alitiudes and do ling you up wit hrunway, and it seems there are some ATC improvements in 10.5 hopefully help get rid of 737's trying to take off from ga airports. Even splurged on saitek coms panel and soon teh Ap panel. makes it a little bit easier in xplane.Need to get Trackir sorted. Works but has funny behaviour. Found a plugin should help stop my head popping out the cockpit when panning aroud.

I'm the guy who keeps searching for the perfect sim....

From time to time I uninstall XP10, and then, after a while, sometimes a good while, and having said Zulfi and others I will never install v10 again and rather wait for v11, I find myself reinstalling it :-)

The first justification is usually that it still provides by far the best Visual Generator for Aerowinx PSX in terms of smoothness, specially for me who use both in a single PC and display. But after 1 day I start installing back my stuff, now from a recent X-Plane walk the FSLabs C172, and that MLDAG Bf109 G2 which feels superb from update to update, and helps making me forget about the combat sims, DCS and il2 BoS which both have, by far, the most weel designed aircraft, even if I believe a well designed and fully tweaked aircraft for X-Plane can get to the level of both those sims...

I've been following two recently released add-ons : Felis Tu-154 and of course the PMDG dc-6. Both are certainky worth the buy, but I do not really like the Russian style of avionics, and don't understand most of what's written in their cockpits, and both aircraft are supposed to be used on long rides, which is the kind if simming I don't do other than with Aerowinx PSX...

But indeed, after having reinstalled XP10 this last weekend, then SMP3.2 and the connector, Real Terra HAze ( a MUST !!! ) I am back enjoying this sim which has really some unique and amazing features!

I use P3D more as a way to beta test for HiFITech as a long time member of their beta team, and to use the PMDG 777. I really like the graphics quality in P3D too, specially the way weather is rendered, as well as some weather effects, but then again, X-plane's turbulence and wind shear is closer to the real thing IMO... I just miss a bit more of vertical component... specially when crossing or nearby convective clouds, or around a thermal, which in X-plane 10 only offers lift, but no increased sink in the surrounding areas - an area for improvement for Xp11 for sure...

Then, there's Aerofly FS v2 - another one under my daily radar scans :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I had some renewed interest in XP10 after getting the IXEG 733, and put my other sims to one side for a while. As a developer I'm eagerly waiting for AeroFly's SDK to see if I can get OSM into it and start making some airports. I still use P3D as well, since it has good scenery for some areas I like such as New Zealand and Australia. I haven't picked up PMDG's DC6 yet as it's not really a plane that interests me although it does look incredible. All sims have their benefits and failures, and it's great we have so much choice again.

From time to time I uninstall XP10

He he,you certainly live up to your username. In all honesty, storage is so cheap these days that it's easy enough to keep them installed. I have XP on an external harddrive which is there when I need it. With XP, you can just zip up the entire folder and keep it somewhere for later (with all your settings, scenery, .etc). This is much harder to do with FSX or P3D.

yes Tony, one of the biggest pluses of xp10 is the ease with which i install / uninstall it :-)

I too look fwd for the news coming from IPACS... Let's see what this first SDK brings ... How are you finding the flight dynamics in v2 ? Do the aircraft feel plausible flying ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

one of the biggest pluses of xp10 is the ease with which i install / uninstall it :-)

Which has to be a major selling point with you, given the rapidity with which you repeat the uninstall/reinstall cycle for so many sims!!

Seriously mate, why not keep the core 2 or 3 installed so that you don't have to keep redoing it all? It would drive me nuts!

In fact, the time and work involved with keeping P3D up to date (along with a slew of installed addons that must always be updated in concert) has resulted in me dropping it altogether as a flying sim; I now am only keeping a vanilla copy around for beta testing purposes.

I must say, one of the major pluses (for me) with XP is that updates are easy and something I look forward to.

• Upvote 2

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Seriously mate, why not keep the core 2 or 3 installed so that you don't have to keep redoing it all? It would drive me nuts!

If he did that, he would have to change his name again to The Installed

• Upvote 1

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

:smile:

Yep, keeping p3d up2date is a "Nightmare" compared to other sims.

IL2 BoS and DCS are also piece of cake to keep / update ....btw.

Main Simulation Rig:

How are you finding the flight dynamics in v2 ? Do the aircraft feel plausible flying ?

Just like V1, apart from the somewhat weak scenery, this sim gives me the best feel of flight of any sim I've tried (but it's lacking in any depth). Most sims can make planes fly spot on to the numbers, but IMO no sim can make you feel like you are actually going somewhere. I think the sim has a bright future

• Upvote 1

Thx Tony!

Main Simulation Rig: