Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Aerosoft Piper Cheyenne Install Problem

My FSX is installed in the 64 bit default location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X). I am running Acceleration. I have full read/write privileges for FSX.

I bought the Version 4.00 and downloaded it. I ran the .exe as Administrator with my AV turned off. When I enter my e-mail address and Serial Number it starts to install but stops with an APPDATA error as shown in the attached jpg.

I tried sending them a ticket and so far I have not received any useful help. I told them on the ticket that I had WIN7 64 bit and they responded asking me what my operating system was!

Has anyone experienced this error and if so how did they resolve it? I did a Google search and someone else had this same problem but there was no answer as to a fix. Bob. 

See this thread:

It is the same problem I have and note that there is no answer. Bob.

attachment.php?attachmentid=190393&stc=1

C:\Program Files (x86) causes issues with FSX/Acceleration/Gold. FSX should be located on the drive in a separate folder.  You can search that.

Look in your AV history and see if it quarantined any files and restore.

Have you tried downloading from Aerosoft again, possible corrupt...?

Don Nelson

Thanks. I really appreciate your suggested installation folder. I know of many other users that have it there too. I have had FSX in (86) since I installed it in the default location many many years ago. I know many other users that have it in (86) with no problems. I have set the properties of the entire FSX folder and the other related FSX folders to allow read/write by User or Administrator.  I have installed hundreds of freeware and many payware planes with no problem.

My AV advises me if any files require quarantine and there never haves been any FSX related files. I looked in the Quarantine folder and there are none.

I use FSPS and have modified many many panels with no read/write problems. I have edited many many aircraft.cfg's, scenery cfg's dll.xml and exe.xml files with no read/write problems while FSX was running and when it was not.  I do not have to copy the file to the Desktop, revise it, and put it back in FSX.

If the installer was written right it should have installed the Piper with no problem just as all the other installers have done.

They even state in their readme:

The global configuration file (<FS>\Digital Aviation\PA31 Cheyenne\PA31.cfg) has been moved to C:\Users\<Alias>\AppData\Digital Aviation\PA31 Cheyenne\PA31.cfg to avoid problems if FS is installed in its default location (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X).

The default FSX installation path is C:\Program Files (86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X).

Thanks, regards, Bob.

Here are my paths:

Main FSX Path

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Scenery.cfg Path

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.CFG

DLL.XML Path
C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml

FSX.cfg Path

C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

I think I may have found the problem with the installer. I found several sites that said:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Windows Account Name)\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
Windows Vista: C:\Users\(Your Windows Account Name)\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
Windows 7: C:\Users\(Your Windows Account Name)\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

The installer points the Flight Simulator X Files to C:\Users\(Your Windows Account Name)\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files. For WIN7, which is what I have, it should be:

C:\Users\(Your Windows Account Name)\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files.

The difference is in the Documents vs. My Docunments.

I hope to hear from Aerosoft Monday.  Bob.

I have Windows7, FSX Gold. I've owned the Cheyenne since it was released. The v4 update is AS_PIPERCHEYENNE_FSX    Compressed zip     216,335Kb.

I looked in the Flight Simulator X files, there are no Digital Aviation PA31T files.

The last line My Documents is correct, don't know if that has much to do with putting the files into the main FSX folder. This is what I have:

FSX Main has a Digital Aviation folder

Gauges has eight DA.PA31.dlls

Effects a halo texture

SimObjects/ Airplanes has four DA31 models

Don Nelson

Hi. Thanks. Did the installer say Documents or My Documents? The installer I used has Documents which is not right for WIN7. I have a My Documents folder. Aerosoft has been of no help. If they don't send me a correct installer for WIN7, or all the files so I can install them myself, I am requesting my money back and will never buy another of their products. 

They are trying to say it is a registry problem which is NOT correct. My FSX is correctly registered.

Every other payware installer has worked for years.

See the comment I made above:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Windows Account Name)\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
Windows Vista: C:\Users\(Your Windows Account Name)\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
Windows 7: C:\Users\(Your Windows Account Name)\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

The installer points the Flight Simulator X Files to C:\Users\(Your Windows Account Name)\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files. For WIN7, which is what I have, it should be:

C:\Users\(Your Windows Account Name)\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files.

For WIN7 it should be My Documments not Documents. I have not renamed any default files.

Regards, Bob.

Documents   OK, just for kicks I uninstalled and reinstalled looking for anything unusual. I'll PM you with some info I copied from the install, as this forum window won't let me cut and paste for some reason. I have a dedicated folder called FltSimX on C:drive.

Don Nelson