Sign in to follow this  
airman17

Opinions on Clean Install

Well, the inevitable happened. My plucky 250GB SSD has officially run out of space (due largely in part to my insatiable appetite for add ons...). A new 500GB SSD is already on its way, the real question is what to do software wise once the new drive arrives. As I see it there are several options:

1. Using the appropriate software make a disk image of my current drive to the new one and run windows and FSX-MS as before, I don't really like this because if something goes wrong my computer essentially becomes a very large and expensive door stop 

2. Keep windows on the old drive and do a clean install of FSX-MS on the new drive, I like this idea the most but I remember reading that MS no longer is activating copies of FSX and I am afraid I won't be able to re-install. Also I recently moved and there is a good chance my original FSX box was lost in that process (I will have to go digging...)

3. I have a copy of FSX-SE which I have not installed (purchased when it was on sale in case of a rainy day), I have messed around with add ons of other steam games and am not a fan of the file tree I would have to deal with. Furthermore it is my understanding that some older add ons do not play nice though this may be due to user installation errors rather than real compatibility issues

4. Make the leap to P3D. This is the most expensive option as I have and enjoy a variety of PMDG products, though this is something I have been thinking about more seriously as the gap between FSX and P3D widens

I'm curious to see what you guys think/if there are any other ways of going about this. 

Thanks!

PK

(PS Mods I thought this was the best forum for this question but please feel free to move it as needed)

2 is good, but 3 "should" be better. After all FSX:SE already has some of the "tweaks" built in and OOM problems aren't as prevalent I believe (only from information I've gleaned off AVSIM and the internet - I never had FSX:MS).

File tree? I'm not sure what you mean. My install is on my F drive. SteamLibrary>steamapps>common>FSX - easy enough to deal with, surely?

Can't comment on P3D, but note that PMDG do a rather fine DC-6 for that platform if you like flame-spitting radial engined beasts.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

File tree? I'm not sure what you mean. My install is on my F drive. SteamLibrary>steamapps>common>FSX - easy enough to deal with, surely?

If i remember correctly you need hidden folders turned on which is no big deal. I'm just worried that things like Pro ATC X, ASN, PFPX, etc might not work with it, but as you say it's likely just a matter of pointing these programs to the right place and everything should be ok. Another benefit for 3 is that the steam overlay would allow me to use the internet while in flight which is kinda cool.

What windows are you using? I have a 250SSD with FSX on it, but I've put all my addons, sim-objects etc etc onto my 1TB HDD by using "Dirlinker". I don't think this works on Windows 10.

I can only recommend jumping to P3D, as it's the move I made and never looked back. If you budget permits, of course.

Can't comment on P3D, but note that PMDG do a rather fine DC-6 for that platform if you like flame-spitting radial engined beasts.

The PMDG DC-6 is currently only available in xPlane10, and i have to say it is really something special. (I also use xPlane, and am loving it move each day!)

• Upvote 1

My bad. Apologies!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

What windows are you using?

I just updated to 10 so I guess that wouldn't work.

I can only recommend jumping to P3D, as it's the move I made and never looked back. If you budget permits, of course.

I know that would be ideal, but with other options on the horizon I don't want to put all my eggs in one expensive basket only to end up switching to something else soon after. 

I decided to go the steam edition route. I figure this is very straight forward but any tips to make the move easier?

I decided to go the steam edition route. I figure this is very straight forward but any tips to make the move easier?

Not to add to the confusion, but have you considered xPlane? I was a msfs user forever and I just recently joined the xPlane party. I always said it wasn't for me, oh how wrong I was.