Sign in to follow this  
interpreter

Windows 10 Upgrade FS9 fails to start

I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 but although all else works FS9 has a problem. Using disk 4 I can get nothing but by inserting the no cd file the programme loads to the central splash screen as normal and then the usual wait for the Settings/Flight panel. However, all I get is a black screen with a very much enlarged blue "wait" circle and eventually a totally black screen with a much enlarged white cursor arrow. To exit I have to type Ctrl-Alt-Del which gives me the various exit options BUT whichever one I select I get an instantaneous flash of the Settings/Flight panel in very large format.  It is possible that somewhere the screen dimension settings are corrupted with windows 10 but how can I change them when I cannot get to the panel to make the changes?  Can anybody help? Especially someone who has switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Thank in advance for your help.

It is possible that somewhere the screen dimension settings are corrupted with windows 10 but how can I change them when I cannot get to the panel to make the changes?

Try deleting the fs9.cfg file and let the sim automatically build a new one when you fire it up again.  This is where the opening screen settings are stored.

Dijvid

This is where it's installed under Windows 7 - may be slightly different for Windows 10, which I don't have:

C:\Users\Your name here\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9

This is a hidden folder so you will need to do a Google for info on how to display hidden folders in Windows 10.  Alternatively, use the Windows 10 search facility to find where FS9.CFG is located but you will have to have display hidden folders turned on first.

Dijvid

There is an automatic update for windows 10 that modified the fs9 software to the point that it will not launch unless you have a "no-cd required" utility installed.  You also have to rename the original launch file so that it is disabled.  There are two solutions: 1. Find a "no cd" file.  2. Delete the update that was automatically installed.  Both require you to be able to get into the file structure of FS9. This may be too complex for you to do.  

I would search here for the id code for that auto update and how to delete it.  That should be doable for you.  Remember that FS9 is no longer a supported application and MS has no obligation to make that old software usable.  There is plenty of guidance available here to do any of the above, but you will have to search for it.

You are going to have to learn how to grant permissions for file modification in Windows 10.  Perhaps you have someone who could personally assist you with this.  Good luck.

Vector, Forkedtail.   Thanks for your comments. I have progressed some way. I removed all the non supplied FS9 aircraft to another folder and with the no cd file in place the programme loaded - almost normally. I then re-loaded the aircraft with no problem. However, I am unable to trace the FS9.cfg file using all the links provided so far. When the programme loads I have the aircraft panel but although all the sounds are there the gauges do not move and the aircraft does not move. Likewise the S key does not change the viewing mode BUT the sound changes to suit the mode e.g. from side view etc. Also even with numlock in place I get no changes.

One noticeable thing is that when I press the S key the panel stays where it is but the aircraft top is just visible over the top of the panel. I feel I need to check the video card but how I do that I do not know. We're making progress but after about 27 hours at it I should hope so.

Can anybody show me how to find the FS9.cfg file with Windows 10?  Or whatever.  Am away for about 15 days so will pick up where I left off after my return.

Sorry to hear you are still having problems.  It's just problems like these which convince me not to go over to Win10, freebie or not.

Dijvid

Hey!

Wiondows 10 is just fine! It works perfectly.

You only have to search for the patch which lets you start without any disk4. You will find that patch named 'FS9-noCD.exe' or also 'FS9.1-noCD.exe'..

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

Make sure all your files are unhidden:

Open up file explorer, your c:\

Click on 'View"

Click on 'Options'

Click on 'View'

Click 'Show hidden files, folders & drives'

then.....

Download 'Everything' from www.voidtools.com

Run it.

When it has installed & scanned your drive, it will do this once, start typing 'fs9.cfg'

iIt will find it for you!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...