Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

Commander Merlyn Turbo Charger conversion

I am thoroughly pleased with the handling characteristics of the AC 500S as released. I am no Bob Hoover or Dave Womacks but aerobatics in the Shrike are superb. However, just as in real life, we always want more performance for our aircraft. Merlyn Products have been making  after market turbo charger for decades. They have  290HP, 300HP, 320 HP and even a 350HP conversions available. Here is their information on the 320HP conversion:

Merlyn Shrike 320 Hp conversion

Merlyn products newest Commander program provides dramatic increases in performance and payload for the 500B, S, and U at a moderate price. The opportunity presents itself as current production Lycoming TIO-540-AE2A engines have become available to us. MPi converts the engines by installing a single high efficiency turbo, new cylinder, valve, and piston assemblies and gives it a rating of 320 Hp. No modification is necessary to the existing airframe and your current HC-C3YR compact hub props are applicable. Along with a host of updated accessories and components, this conversion offers the Commander owner outstanding performance with new parts availability for years to come. If you are looking for versatility, the 320 is the best value for the buck!

Some Benefits:

• Low time TIO-540-AE2A turbocharged engines
  • Full 320hp @ 18,000 ft.
  • 41” Maximum MAP
  • 2000 hr TBO!
  • Single engine service ceiling to 16,000 ft.
  • 450 lb gross weight increase (650 lb with MPi 70 gallon fuel system)
  • 204 KTAS @ 12,000 ft. and 70% power
  • Increased takeoff and climb performance
  • Engines are fully supported Lycoming
  • Reliability
  • STC SA01212SE

As Merlyn  stated, this makes a huge difference in high altitude operations and climb. It is easy to do in FSX or PD3V3. So that you can have the released version and a converted version, I suggest you copy your entire Commander folder and rename it to Carenado Aero Commander 500S TC. It is very important that you rename the title of each livery by including a TC in its name in the aircraft cfg. Example follows:

[fltsim.1]

title=Carenado 500S TC Aero Commander N786E
sim=500S
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=N786E
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=N786E
ui_manufacturer="Carenado"
ui_type=500S TC Aero Commander
ui_typerole="Twin Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="Carenado"
ui_variation=N786E TC
description="500S Aero Commander Merlyn Products 320 HP Turbo System"
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=1

The engine and prop changes are noted below:

[piston_engine]
power_scalar =            1.2 // was 1.0                     //Piston power scalar
cylinder_displacement= 91.7                     //Cubic inches per cylinder
compression_ratio= 8.0                          //Compression ratio
number_of_cylinders= 6                          //Number of cylinders
max_rated_rpm=   2575                           //Max rated RPM                                         
max_rated_hp=     320 // was 290                          //Max rated HP                                                
fuel_metering_type= 0                           //0=Fuel Injected, 1=Gravity Carburetor, 2=Aerobatic Carburetor
cooling_type=       0                           //0=Cooling type Air, 1=Cooling type Liquid
normalized_starter_torque= 0.3                  //Starter torque factor
turbocharged=       1 // was 0                          //Is it turbocharged? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE                      
max_design_mp=      41  // was 0                         //Max design manifold pressure, (inHg)                     
min_design_mp=      1  // was 0                         //Min design manifold pressure, (inHg)
critical_altitude=  18000                           //Altitude to which the turbocharger will provide max design manifold pressure (feet)  0000
emergency_boost_type= 0                         //0=None, 1=Water Injection, 2=Methanol/Water injection, 3=War Emergency Power
emergency_boost_mp_offset=   0                  //Additional manifold pressure supplied by emergency boost
emergency_boost_gain_offset= 0                  //Multiplier on manifold pressure due to emergency boost
fuel_air_auto_mixture= 0                        //Automixture available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
auto_ignition= 0                                //Auto-Ignition available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar= 1.0       //Scalar on maximum RPM mechanical efficiency
idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar= 1.0      //Scalar on idle RPM mechanical efficiency
max_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0                    //Scalar on maximum RPM friction
idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0                   //Scalar on idle RPM friction

[propeller]
thrust_scalar = 1.1 // was 1.0                             //Propeller thrust scalar
propeller_type= 0                               //0=Constant Speed, 1=Fixed Pitch
propeller_diameter= 6.4                         //Propeller Diameter, (feet)
propeller_blades= 3                             //Number of propeller blades
propeller_moi= 4.0                              //Propeller moment of inertia
beta_max= 45.0                                  //Maximum blade pitch angle for constant speed prop, (degrees)
beta_min= 15.2                                  //Minimum blade pitch angle for constant speed prop, (degrees)
min_gov_rpm=       1900                         //Miminum governed RPM
prop_tc= 0.1                                    //Prop time-constant
gear_reduction_ratio= 1.0                       //Propeller gear reduction ratio
fixed_pitch_beta= 0.0                           //Fixed pitch angle of fixed pitch prop, (degrees)
low_speed_theory_limit= 80.0                    //Speed at which low speed theory becomes blended in (feet/second)
prop_sync_available= 1                          //Prop synchronization available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
prop_deice_available= 1                         //Prop de-icing available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
prop_feathering_available= 1                    //Prop feathering available?  0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
prop_auto_feathering_available= 0               //Prop auto-feathering available?  0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
min_rpm_for_feather=                1000        //Minimum RPM for prop feathering                           700
beta_feather= 82.5                              //Feathering pitch angle (degrees)
power_absorbed_cf= 0.9                          //Coefficient of friction for power absorbed by propeller
defeathering_accumulators_available= 0          //Defeathering accumulators available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE 
prop_reverse_available= 0                       //Prop reverse available?  0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
minimum_on_ground_beta= 0.0                     //Miminum pitch angle on ground, (degrees)
minimum_reverse_beta= 0.0                       //Minimum pitch angle in reverse, (degrees)
propeller.0= 4, -1, -1
Propeller.1= 4,  1, -1

Please back up your aircraft cfg prior to making the changes!

No changes are required to the air file.

Enjoy,

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Thanks for this Greg, it looks very interesting and is likely the very boost many of us have been wishing for.

Cheers,

Jerome

Great idea. I will try that the next flying hours.

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Thanks Greg.  Do you know what to use for climb power?  I was doing 36" at 2500 rpms.  Then lean mixture around 10k.  Gives me around 150 kias / 2000 fpm at 50% fuel and 1 160 lb pax. (about 5075 lbs)

At FL190 I'm doing this:

FL190TC.jpg

Just came to mind that plane might not be pressurized...  Anyone know if it is?

Anyway, a pic:

500stc.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks Greg.  Do you know what to use for climb power?  I was doing 36" at 2500 rpms.  Then lean mixture around 10k.  Gives me around 150 kias / 2000 fpm at 50% fuel and 1 160 lb pax. (about 5075 lbs)

At FL190 I'm doing this:

FL190TC.jpg

Just came to mind that plane might not be pressurized...  Anyone know if it is?

Anyway, a pic:

500stc.jpg

At 19,000' you'll be without any oxygen, for sure!

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

So they advertise performance upgrades that help out of the envelope that the pilot can fly in ? or you just have to carry a personal oxygen mask and bottle? Weird.

Thanks, Greg, for the interesting contribution. I've tried it and the change in power is noticeable, for good!.

Cheers, Ed

So they advertise performance upgrades that help out of the envelope that the pilot can fly in ? or you just have to carry a personal oxygen mask and bottle? Weird.

You could also carry a bottle of whiskey and forget the oxygen need! :fool:

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

The Shrike  its not pressurized, with this upgrade you can fly faster and eat less AVGAS, if you want yo fly higher need oxigen mask for sure....

Robert Bernard

Hi Ryan,

I am using 36" for climb as well, 32" high speed cruise. As many have noted, the Shrike is not pressurized and supplemental oxygen would be required.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

You can also increase the aircraft max weight in the cfg file by 450 lb to carry full fuel with a full load for a much stabler model in turbulence and a quick stopper on the ground if descent and approach are well controlled.

I control MfP and leaning with reference to the fuel flow gauge which is quite well marked.

Not weird in the least.  My Turbo Arrow IV was designed to be operated well above oxygen levels, as are many non-pressurized turbo charged singles and light twins.  Some came factory equipped with O2 tanks and ports, and some (like my T-Arrow) did not.  This is where portable O2 tanks come in.

Scott

Nice to know since I'm just a sim pilot. I think I've only ever seen 1 video of a guy flying with a portable oxygen tank. I know slightly off topic but how high can you go with no pressurization and just an oxy bottle?

Nice to know since I'm just a sim pilot. I think I've only ever seen 1 video of a guy flying with a portable oxygen tank. I know slightly off topic but how high can you go with no pressurization and just an oxy bottle?

As high as the aircraft is rated to!

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

Not weird in the least.  My Turbo Arrow IV was designed to be operated well above oxygen levels, as are many non-pressurized turbo charged singles and light twins.  Some came factory equipped with O2 tanks and ports, and some (like my T-Arrow) did not.  This is where portable O2 tanks come in.

Scott

True Scott,

Back in the "day" when general aviation was thriving, there was a company called "SCOTT" (ironic) that make portable O2 setups that would strap on the back of the seat and included a regulator and multiple connections for the the pilot and passengers.  Quite common in those days.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument