Sign in to follow this  
maddog7800

Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files...

I posted about this issue on the Steam forum, although I don't know if it is unique to the Steam version of FSX, so I thought I would post it here as well.

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and have been unable to get FSX-SE running. When I try to start, a message box immediately pops up that says "Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation." I've tried messing with compatibility settings, running as Admin, verifying game cache integrity, reinstalling the DirectX 9 and C++ redistributables, even a total reinstall.  All resulted in the same error message.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any log file created anywhere to give me any additional clues.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and been able to resolve it? I'm running out of ideas...

It's posts like this which convince me not to upgrade from Win 7 ultimate :(

Sadly, I don't have any ideas for you - I would have suggested verifying the game cache, but you've done that!.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I know what you mean.  Ironically, I haven't had much trouble with any other software, just this one originally made by Microsoft...

Tried another re-install - still no luck.  This time I tried to go as scorched earth as possible when removing FSX.  I removed all traces in the registry, uninstalled the few add-ins I had installed, and deleted all FSX-related folders outside the main installation (appdata, etc.).  Same error message - sigh...

I haven't given up yet, too many people have Win10 and FSX-SE working to think there isn't some obscure issue that I should be able to overcome.  But I am running out of ideas...

The first thing that is loaded when you start FSX is all of the modules in the dll.xml and exe.xml.  If any are unsuccessful in loading, the sim will not start up and you will get a program error.  There may be a case where you are asking the sim to load a module and it is not there.  To check, edit the dll.xml as shown on page 13 of the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature or see the right sidebar).  It is probably best to reinstall or do a repair of all of the modules you might have in your dll.xml.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for at least giving me some new things to look into, Jim, but no luck so far.  During my last reinstall, I deleted the FSX folder under appdata (where the .cfg file is).  When I tried to reinstall (from Steam, run as admin), that folder was not created, so there is no fsx.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml to investigate.  I don't know if that folder should be created on install, or the first time FSX is run, but it's not happening.  I've tried running FSX both from within Steam and directly from the FSX folder (running FSX as admin) - same result.  I haven't tried using AppCrashView or WindowsEventViewer as mentioned in the guide.  I'll try that next (probably won't be until tomorrow).  Thanks for trying.

Looking at the Event Viewer, I did get a "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Kiosk.exe". Dependent Assembly" error either during installation or when I tried to run it.  I'll have to dig into that message to see if that gives any clues...

Well, I downloaded AppCrashView, but no events show up when I try to run FSX.  The WindowsEventViewer entry seemed to be tied to SimConnect, so I manually reinstalled that, but I still get the same message box when I load FSX.  I'm stumped...

I deleted the FSX folder under appdata (where the .cfg file is).  When I tried to reinstall (from Steam, run as admin), that folder was not created, so there is no fsx.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml to investigate.  I don't know if that folder should be created on install, or the first time FSX is run, but it's not happening.  I've tried running FSX both from within Steam and directly from the FSX folder (running FSX as admin) - same result.

This is not good deleting the fsx-se folder.  When you start up fsx-se, the fsx.cfg will be rebuilt but, if there is no folder, not sure what would happen.  Okay, I moved mine to a temporary folder just to see what would happen.  After moving the fsx folder, I restarted FSX and a whole new folder was created and FSX started up normally with default settings as if I had just reinstalled FSX.  So, I'm wondering what fsx folder you deleted?  It wasn't the folder that has the fsx.cfg in it.  You do know the fsx.cfg file and FSX-SE folder is hidden?  See page 6 of the AVSIM CTD Guide on how to view hidden folders and the location of FSX-SE.  You might want to check out the following guide for uninstalling/reinstalling FSX at the following link -  http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx.  It pertains to FSX but FSX-SE is the same as FSX (it's just that it is downloaded and installed from Steam and not from a CD/DVD).

There is no need for you to even think about SimConnect when you install FSX-SE.  It does it all automatically for you.  All of the versions required to run your add-ons (if required) are there as FSX-SE includes everything, FSX Deluxe, SP1, and Acceleration.  Now, if you are networking computers I think you have to install a version of SimConnect on each computer so they can "talk" to each other but otherwise, it is all done for you.  Automatically.  No need for human intervention.  You just sit back and start up your sim, set up a flight and enjoy.

You may want to just uninstall FSX-SE and make sure all of the hidden folders are removed too, run a registry cleaner like CCleaner, and then reinstall DTG's version of FSX-SE from Steam.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I deleted that folder only during the process of doing a reinstall.  The first time I reinstalled, I just uninstalled, rebooted, then reinstalled.  That didn't work, so then I tried uninstalling more like what you said in your last sentence.  I uninstalled, deleted the FSX folder in steam, deleted the FSX folder under appdata, and used CCleaner to remove all FSX entries in the registry.  Then I rebooted and reinstalled.  The FSX folder in appdata was never recreated at that point - during installation or when trying to run FSX.

As far as SimConnect goes, the only reason I reinstalled that (other than desperation) was because the only error in WindowsEventViewer mentioned SimConnect, so I manually reinstalled it.  Obviously it didn't make a difference, and I'm not sure where the listed error occurred in the re-install process.  It may have taken care of itself by the end.  I suspect the SimConnect thing was a red herring...

Maddog,  When your doing a full Uninstall and Reinstall of FSX you need to Delete all five folders

After Uninstalling FSX through the Control panel or though the Steam control panel,  Locate and Delete these folders,  All Five  

► Computer ► Your FSX Location ► Steam ► steamapps ► common  ► FSX 

► Libraries ► Documents ► FSX 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Microsoft ► FSX 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Roaming ► Microsoft ► FSX 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Local ► Microsoft ► FSX 

How Do I Uninstall FSX Steam Version         ►              ►              ►     http://www.avsim.com...-steam-version/

As per Jim's link 

""IMPORTANT - we do NOT recommended installing to the default file location in Windows Vista or Windows 7. (Program Files or Program Files (x86)) - Windows "protects" anything within these folders and has been shown to cause numerous problems with the install and configuration of addons""
  • Upvote 1

That is the exact guide I used the second time I did a reinstall, Poppet.

I'm trying it again right now just in case I missed a step.  The Documents, ProgramData, and both AppData folders were still empty from last time I did a reinstall (they were never re-added during the installation process).  So the only step that I could have botched is maybe the registry entries, although I think I got those before.  I guess we'll see when the reinstall finishes...

My entire Steam folder is in Program Files (x86), so that will be a bit of a last resort to move all of that.  I wish I could just move a single program to a different folder instead of the entire library...

As per Jim's link 

""IMPORTANT - we do NOT recommended installing to the default file location in Windows Vista or Windows 7. (Program Files or Program Files (x86)) - Windows "protects" anything within these folders and has been shown to cause numerous problems with the install and configuration of addons""

This is FSX-SE, and the Users group already has Modify access to those files in the steam folder so there's no need to install in one's own folder.

In any case, installing in one's own folder means it is owned by you, and only you, and so the Users group should really be given access to your own folder if you are installing software into it in case of profile problems later on, defeating the object of making one's own folder if that is the purpose of it - to gain Modify access.

All one need do as far as regular boxed FSX is concerned is to add the Modify permission to the users group on the installed to folder, since it is simply the missing permission that creates the problem for software written pre-Vista that ignored the security of the location.

Since we become members of the Users group when we log in to Windows, and we don't ordinarily have Modify access to the stock installed location with FSX boxed, we need only set the Modify permission to circumvent all issues. Making one's own folders and installing software to it and Running as Admin rather than letting software elevate privileges where it needs to, can be the root cause of some weird problems arising like this, especially after updating to Win10 or other updates.

The reason that FSX-SE starts with admin access is that the Users group does not have permission in the ProgramData folder, possibly a throwback to how the steam setup works. However FSc does have the Modify permission for the Users group in both the ProgramData and SteamApps\common. FSX boxed comes from the pre Vista era and that group is called Authenticated Users from the NT security system and its ProgramData location is present with the Modify (Write) permission.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Well, I re-followed Poppet's directions to the letter.  Same result: "Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation."  I'm officially out of ideas. 

So you install it and run it and you get the EULA, and OK to that?

Does it somehow not set up simconnect?

Can you try:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib\SimConnect.msi

Presumably after installing you checked the locations Poppet described and they all exist?

If so one other thing to check is the Registry items are written correctly:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX

check exe_path for correct exe file

exe_path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

and install_path

install_path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

and can also check

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0

check the AppPath item shows the correct path

AppPath = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\

make sure these correctly contain your locations.