Sign in to follow this  
maddog7800

Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files...

Yoo too poppet! :smile:

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Steve / Poppet,

After installation, when I run FSX from Steam for the first time, I do get the EULA message and a few additional installation processes run.  After they finish, the error message pop up.  If I try to run FSX a second time after that, it just goes straight to the error message.

I'm not at my home computer now, but when I get a chance, I'll list what does and doesn't get created during my installation as well as my registry entries.

I really appreciate you guys helping out with this.

Okay, here is what my system looks like after FSX is installed:

• FSX is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
  • There is no FSX folder in Libraries\Documents
  • User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX includes dll.xml and exe.xml (with date\timestamps corresponding with installation)
  • User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ has no FSX folder
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX\Exe_Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX\Install_Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition has 4 keys: (Default), Co-Existence, FirstTime, and Language; there are no additional sub-keys (no \10.0\AppPath, etc.)

Uh, oh.  No responses in a couple of days.  I guess you guys have run out of ideas, too.  I'm going to try posting my issues at Dovetail, but I guess I'm grounded for the time being...

It's possible there's always been a remnant of the installation left over which causes the FSX-SE installer to malfunction. The only way to get this going is to completely remove all parts of the FSX installation before installing FSX-SE.

What you are saying makes sense, and that's what I've tried to do by wiping out the registry entries, AppData folders, etc.  Any ideas where else I should be looking?  I've even wiped out old addins (I only had a few, mostly from Orbx).  I do have Flight and FS9 installed, but I can't image they are causing the problem...

It has to be something like that. I've installed FSX-SE in all manner of ways, there's no problems encountered so long as the setup starts with the system in a safe state. Any remnants of FSX other than SimConnect and it will go badly. Have another go, check all registry hives including user hives. Reboot as well before trying the setup again.

MADDOG:

I thought the important caveat for installing FSX either by disc, or thru Steam was NOT to let it be installed in the Program Files, or in Program Files (x86), which is also re-stated in this thread?

But, if it finally runs error-free for you, than good luck...

BTW, I recently had to re-install FSX-Steam after an incredibly nasty virus totally infiltrated my PC - the only fix was to pay a computer geek to re-install Windows 10, who also switched me to a licensed version of Viper (replacing my apparently ineffective McAfee anti-virus program).    

I thought the important caveat for installing FSX either by disc, or thru Steam was NOT to let it be installed in the Program Files, or in Program Files (x86), which is also re-stated in this thread?

Re-read what was stated in this discussion.

A good reason to install FSX-SE into a non-default folder is to avoid very long paths, which can effect the installation of some addons.

The reason the idea to make a new folder for FSX came about is because it inherits the access rights of the owner, the user that makes the folder can write to it. Some addons were developed during WindowsXP and the ordinary user had Program Files folder write access in those days. They changed it to help avoid problems whereby people get viruses and malware due to poor security.

Well, you convinced me to make one more try.  I uninstalled, cleared out the FSX and AppData folders, and deleted the relevant registry keys.  Then I searched through the registry for any additional keys containing "FSX", "Flight Simulator", "DTG", "Orbx", and anything else I could think of.  Nothing really turned up except an Orbx entry, so I made a point to clear any Orbx-related software off my system.  I also did a hard drive search for similar key words.  When I was finished, I couldn't find any trace of FSX or FSX-related addons on my system.  And then I reinstalled and...

Same result.

Sigh...

May have been handy for me to check you out before you tried installing again. Presume you also removed the user docs and pic folders?

Yes, I had cleared those out a couple of reinstalls ago and FSX never regenerated them.

I do have FS9 and Microsoft Flight still installed - you don't think those could be causing interference, do you?

I just wish the error message was more descriptive or that a log file was created.  It's just not clear to me if something is missing that is inhibiting the installation (some driver, etc.) or if something is interfering (remnant of an old install, some permissions issue, etc.)

Really is an odd problem. FS9 would not cause an issue. I cleaned out an old FSX system and installed -SE a few weeks ago, presented no trouble at all so it 'should' work. You say those doc and pic folders are not created? It makes the folders of boxed FSX if the system is clean of it. Did you contact DTG maybe they have feedback that resolves this issue.

The only folder made during installation (outside of the FSX folder itself) is User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.

I did put in a ticket with DTG a few days ago.  So far, all I've received in response is an automatic response and a link to the Windows 10 / FSX-SE knowledgebase, which I had already looked at.

Absolutely baffled.  I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious, but I sure can't think of what it is.