Sign in to follow this  
henrimarch

PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster x-plane test

Have a look at the Flightsimlabs Concorde tutorial flight document (revised link above) which is about 150 pages. I find the 2 DC-6 tutorials to be comparatively sparse in terms of detail, because they both rely on the AFE to do much of the work.

I've seen them. I've had their Concorde product since the day it came out. Instead of some vague assignment to go read something, what - specifically - do you desire in a tutorial?

Contrary to documentation I cannot change the AFE settings.

Where in the documentation does it mention being able to change AFE settings?

Kyle Rodgers

I've seen them. I've had their Concorde product since the day it came out. Instead of some vague assignment to go read something, what - specifically - do you desire in a tutorial?

Maybe a couple more tutorial flights from different eras, for example the first tutorial may be from the perspective of a current DC-6 operator, like Everts. The route could be from Anchorage to Barrow. Talk about cold weather operations, cargo ops, GPS/RNAV, AFE, fuel planning, top-of-descent planning, icing etc. Also talk about features/limitations of XP10 as well as any tips.

The second tutorial may focus on classic airline operations at a specific point in time e.g. 1952. The route may be an eastbound leg of a transcontinental service, a Hawaiian run, or transatlantic flight. Talk about more detailed procedures without the AFE, climb performance near MTOW (Especially for the eastbound transcon due to the Sierra Nevada mountains), power settings and fuel tank management for max range, vintage navigation methods (for information only) and airline operations trivia. The tutorial may split into 2 ways by intentionally failing an engine near the mountains, or at equi-time point in an ocean crossing. Start talking about OEI cruise/driftdown, and correct power/fuel management.

You can add some scenery for the missing navaids, and if you're doing the transcon maybe you can build a classic airport as well, like Denver Stapleton. XP10 has a very nice Lego-style scenery builder.

Where in the documentation does it mention being able to change AFE settings?

Introduction, pg.13.

There are many different possible cruise configurations in the POH, so we picked a good, all-round middle-range cruise configuration. If you prefer a different cruise setup, open the AFE panel, click Abort and set it to your preferred setting.
  • Upvote 1

Maybe a couple more tutorial flights from different eras, for example the first tutorial may be from the perspective of a current DC-6 operator, like Everts. The route could be from Anchorage to Barrow. Talk about cold weather operations, cargo ops, GPS/RNAV, AFE, fuel planning, top-of-descent planning, icing etc. Also talk about features/limitations of XP10 as well as any tips.

The second tutorial may focus on classic airline operations at a specific point in time e.g. 1952. The route may be an eastbound leg of a transcontinental service, a Hawaiian run, or transatlantic flight. Talk about more detailed procedures without the AFE, climb performance near MTOW (Especially for the eastbound transcon due to the Sierra Nevada mountains), power settings and fuel tank management for max range, vintage navigation methods (for information only) and airline operations trivia. The tutorial may split into 2 ways by intentionally failing an engine near the mountains, or at equi-time point in an ocean crossing. Start talking about OEI cruise/driftdown, and correct power/fuel management.

You can add some scenery for the missing navaids, and if you're doing the transcon maybe you can build a classic airport as well, like Denver Stapleton. XP10 has a very nice Lego-style scenery builder.

Thanks for the feedback.

Introduction, pg.13.

That's not what it's saying. It's saying "turn the AFE off and set the throttles and RPM on your own."

Kyle Rodgers

That's not what it's saying. It's saying "turn the AFE off and set the throttles and RPM on your own."

OK, I must have read it wrong as I thought there were different AFE cruise setups.

Just to chime in here:

The aim of the tutorials was to get the end-user up-and-running in the shortest possible time and also pointing out the various features of the aircraft from a PMDG perspective.

A lot of new users bought X-Plane just to get this product, and it's a gentle introduction to both X-Plane and the DC-6

The last thing you want to do is discourage users from getting started on this file aeroplane,and feel that they have wasted their money. I'm all for this approach, and it works well for this product.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

The last thing you want to do is discourage users from getting started on this file aeroplane,and feel that they have wasted their money. I'm all for this approach, and it works well for this product.

Yeah, that's our aim, and has been for our other aircraft tutorials, too.

Now...Tutorial #3 on the other hand... :ph34r:

I'm hoping people have fun with it when it's ready.

(For those who didn't catch that "when it's ready" and ran off to the docs folder...it's not ready yet)

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

The POH systems description is indeed sufficient, but what most people need is how Pan Am, United, American etc. operate these machines in real life, and a typical flight profile. I'm talking about SOPs, flight plans, vintage IFR enroute charts and approach plates, notes from pilots on handling and systems etc. IMO good, well written tutorial flights similar to the old SSTSIM Concorde will do wonders for this product.

I'm going to hazard a guess that there isn't anyone at any of the airlines you mentioned that could tell you how this aircraft was operated. Those folks retired long ago.

• Upvote 1

NAX669.png