Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Windows 10

Hi All Fly enthusiasts,

I am wondering if any of you have upgraded to Win 10 and, if so, how  does Fly run?

Ian

Hi Ian - it's been a long time! I was checking some items in the forum history and saw your post.

I'm staying away from Win10 for now as it is absolutely not compatible with several of the professional media production programs I use in my work.  However, I am curious about Fly!II and Win10.  My wife's new laptop is Win10 - give me a week or 2 - when I have an opening in my schedule I'll drop my Fly!II directory in and see what happens.

ATB!

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall,

Good to hear from you after so long.

Installed Win 10 and Fly2 was impossible to use as graphics terrible.

I posted on the Simvol forum and Ken Wood replied.

It could be a Direct X problem but as yet we don't have a satisfactory solution.

Installing on a separate Partition should work but we will keep looking into it.

Hopefully someone with superior computer knowledge may work out a more practical solution.

best wishes,

Ian

G'day all!

Not sure why I am not receiving notifications of posts in any of the Fly! / Fly!II forums (being signed up to "Follow" these forums), or I might have responded earlier.

I can attest to the fact that Fly! II will not work under Windows 10. I can run it fine under Windows 8.1 with latest nVidia drivers and DX10, but latest drivers and Win10 - nope, nada. I have even tried to install earlier DX 9 or 8 but to no avail. DX8 appears to not work with 64-bit systems, and DX9 complained about "newer version installed" and always halts the install. So it would appear to be an issue with DX11. Have tried on both desktop and laptop but no luck. Took the desktop back to Win8.1. Of course, during that, my backup HDD to a small drop and the motor is ruined. All my Fly!II files were on there as well as a near 20GB of Fly!II fully decked out with TS scenery backup. Thankfully I still have TerraScene and the data disks, but these latest DVD drives don't always read the older CD/DVDs. Ah, well.

Trust all are doing well!

Cheers!

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Hi All Fly 2 fans,

Great news.

After installing Win 10 Anniversary Edition have been able to fly again.

Just did a circuit around LFMN and all seemed ok.

Haven't tried to download latest video card drivers or do anything else that I can think might have corrected the problem with the first Win 10 installation.

Randall has your wife installed Win 10 anniversary on her laptop and if so have you treid Fly2 again?

:smile:  

Ian

Hi Ian!

Thanks for that update. I can confirm that indeed Fly! II is running under latest version of Windows 10. Since I know we are a very small minority - especially with this simulator being 16 years old - would like to think that any of us who sent in reports to Microsoft about this particular issue were listened to.  :wink: I will say that I sent in reports with each preview build, and all "crash reports" for the sim. So either someone listened, or we simply "Lucked Out". 

Best regards!

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Hi Ken,

I didn't even think to send any reports to Microsoft so can't claim that my efforts may have had anything to do with the good news. If your reports or possibly those of others had anything to do with Fly! II  now working we can all be grateful.

kind regards,

Ian