Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

LM will release hotfix for P3Dv3.3 in a few days

Re: Scenery Problem with bgl airport add-ons

Postby Adam Breed » Mon, 06 Jun 2016, 21:06

All,

We are working towards a hotfix to resolve this issue. It should be available in the next couple days. Again, we strongly encourage all third parties to continue to update their older scenery to work under Prepar3D's newer designs. While this change was not exactly intentional - it is a result of adding capabilities to support newer functionality. We publicly disclosed that BGL was not going to be supported moving forward (over two years ago - during v2). While BGL still works and we have no intention of disabling it, it is strongly discouraged and at some point shortly we will no longer be able to advance the system while continuing to support it.

Thanks for your understanding and support in solving this issue,

Adam

• Upvote 7

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Makes sense to me. Let's just prepare (sic) for a new sim environment and step by step cut the cord from the old technology. 

• Upvote 1

I hope all with issues understand that this is a TEMPORARY fix. They WILL discontinue using the old technology and if a repeat of this issue is to be avoided, the developers have to either get with the program or not consider P3D a market target.

Vic

• Upvote 2

B-but...if they fix it, I'll have to upgrade to it.  Ugh.  Decisions, decisions.

• Upvote 1

B-but...if they fix it, I'll have to upgrade to it.  Ugh.  Decisions, decisions.

Some are still having issues with VAS. 

Some are still having issues with VAS.

I wonder where and under what conditions.  Some folks are always having a problem with VAS.  Not saying they're not caused by P3D 3.3

I'm wondering if the VAS issues are related to the scenery issues. It is quite possible that when something "breaks" in one place, it may have an effect in another. 

I don't have any affected scenery and I also do not have any VAS issues. I have one flight that was guaranteed to OOM in 3.1 - was just able to get through it in 3.2 and actually have some to spare in 3.3. I notice that the VAS recovery seems better in 3.3 - just an observation - no specific tests run.

Vic

• Upvote 1

While BGL still works and we have no intention of disabling it, it is strongly discouraged and at some point shortly we will no longer be able to advance the system while continuing to support it.

My hope is that 3rd party devs will understand this means two BGL sets going forward IF the devs plan to support FSX and P3D.  

I'll be interested to see if there are any performance implications with this v3.3 hotfix and see how native P3D vs. FS2002 scenery works (specifically with long frames).  Native P3D scenery in current v3.3 is definitely rendering better than FS2002 scenery even with missing runways/taxi-ways (just not visible).

I hope all with issues understand that this is a TEMPORARY fix. They WILL discontinue using the old technology and if a repeat of this issue is to be avoided, the developers have to either get with the program or not consider P3D a market target.

Agree Vic, or not consider FSX as a market target. 

Cheers, Rob.

I'm wondering if the VAS issues are related to the scenery issues. It is quite possible that when something "breaks" in one place, it may have an effect in another. 

I don't have any affected scenery and I also do not have any VAS issues. I have one flight that was guaranteed to OOM in 3.1 - was just able to get through it in 3.2 and actually have some to spare in 3.3. I notice that the VAS recovery seems better in 3.3 - just an observation - no specific tests run.

Vic

Do you have Hawaiian Airports Vol 1 and 2 and KORD from FSDT?, scenery from UK2000?, KMIA from LatinVFR?, TFFF from Taxi2Gate?.

Cheers, Ed

It seems that we have people here that behave like they are actually working for LM, even if they're not!.

Btw, good move from LM to issue a hotfix to solve the issue. Whether it's temporary or not, we'll see!. I guess it will not be! (look what Fly Tampa says in its forums).

Cheers, Ed

What payware vendor ISN'T using .bgl still....let alone keep releasing products that keep dumping files into the P3D folder.

Edit: Besides Realair that is

This is interesting that LM has decided to appease folks - hope it doesnt put a kink in progress - should be an eye opener for developers - hope they can offer P3D native products - would be in their best interest imo 

As indicated by Adam's message, it'll be just for V3.3 (FS2002 support will NOT be around long term) ... I can't say anything more ... but going forward it will almost certainly be two paths.  One or the other or both will be up to the 3rd party devs trying to earn some revenue for their hard work.

These things will eventually sort themselves out, they always do and have done in the past ... we'll look back on this and probably have a chuckle.

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 3

Rob, back in the days of P3Dv2, LM commented on developing for v2 being continued up to v2.5. Have LM made any such comments towards how far they will carry P3Dv3?

Cheers, Craig

This is interesting that LM has decided to appease folks - hope it doesnt put a kink in progress - should be an eye opener for developers - hope they can offer P3D native products - would be in their best interest imo

Exactly...just to appease folks. I can empathize with people not wanting to lose their airports. I have many of these sceneries too. But we have to move forward. There are always going to be people that want to hang on til the absolute end. If we keep appeasing folks, we will never fully progress. They should just make 3.2 available so users that don't want to lose them yet can go back and stay there instead.
  • Upvote 1

They should just make 3.2 available so users that don't want to lose them yet can go back and stay there instead.

If we can continue to get the list of offending airports then it'll make it easier for people to migrate off of them.  The devs will just have to catch up.

• Upvote 2

Have LM made any such comments towards how far they will carry P3Dv3?

I don't believe the V3.x series and beyond is public knowledge yet.

Cheers, Rob.

Btw, good move from LM to issue a hotfix to solve the issue. Whether it's temporary or not, we'll see!. I guess it will not be! (look what Fly Tampa says in its forums).

Cheers, Ed

From Fly Tampa:

"Lockheed Martin are working on a hotfix for the issue. It would be very hard to fix our end as there isn't a real robust replacement for the older ASM groundwork."

"Lockheed Martin are working on a hotfix for the issue. It would be very hard to fix our end as there isn't a real robust replacement for the older ASM groundwork."

Do they say which airports this affects?

Do they say which airports this affects?

Apparently LOWW, Sydney, I'm not sure if there are more. Have not tested because I did not make the move (yet, waiting for the hotfix). Read that here at Avsim.

Cheers, Ed

Exactly...just to appease folks. I can empathize with people not wanting to lose their airports. I have many of these sceneries too. But we have to move forward. There are always going to be people that want to hang on til the absolute end. If we keep appeasing folks, we will never fully progress. They should just make 3.2 available so users that don't want to lose them yet can go back and stay there instead.

Well...they didn't even have to 'appease'.  Nope..

People could revert back to v3.2.3, and have everything running perfectly, with all their 'to date' 3rdP catalog.  That's all people had to do.

I've decided to stay with v3.2.3, (it works perfectly with everything) and just sit in the bush, and watch what plays out.

Of course as always, each to their own, as they see fit.