Sign in to follow this  
BrianG

New release interest: PMDG DC-6 vs 777

Interesting to see the contrast in new topics that appear on Avsim between the Dc-6 and T7 a week after release. The T7 flooded the topic of conversation on Avsim for 2 years solid after it's release. Now, a week after the DC-6 was released, hard to find mention of it when you log onto Avsim.  Of course, the DC-6 was never meant to be a commercial blockbuster, rather an intro for PMDG into X Plane. But personally, I find the DC-6 much more interesting an thought provoking compared with the T7. But I'm in the minority I know. Speaking of marketing on PMDG's part, as Dire Straights would say," Them guys ain't dumb." They know what sells and what doesn't. So all those who constantly cry out for a PMDG 757 or 767, the interest of the DC-6 ( or lack of) really illustrates these guys know what will turn the wheels of commerce and what won't.

I'm glad this experiment turned out to be an AC that really gets me going. Lucky for me.

Interesting to see the contrast in new topics that appear on Avsim between the Dc-6 and T7 a week after release. The T7 flooded the topic of conversation on Avsim for 2 years solid after it's release. Now, a week after the DC-6 was released, hard to find mention of it when you log onto Avsim.  Of course, the DC-6 was never meant to be a commercial blockbuster, rather an intro for PMDG into X Plane. But personally, I find the DC-6 much more interesting an thought provoking compared with the T7. But I'm in the minority I know. Speaking of marketing on PMDG's part, as Dire Straights would say," Them guys ain't dumb." They know what sells and what doesn't. So all those who constantly cry out for a PMDG 757 or 767, the interest of the DC-6 ( or lack of) really illustrates these guys know what will turn the wheels of commerce and what won't.

I'm glad this experiment turned out to be an AC that really gets me going. Lucky for me.

The DC-6 is a niche product in a niche hobby. Not surprising that the 777 was the talk of the town for so long; it has much more "mainstream" appeal.

Prepar3D and FSX still have the biggest user base. I'd say this partially explains the difference between the two receptions.

This scenario might change in five years or so, anyway, and I'm pretty sure PMDG takes this possibility into account -- hence their move in X-Plane environment...

Yes- two good points mentioned above in the two replies. Here's to hoping that once released for FSX as planned,  DC-6 sales will soar in hopes that PMDG will release more vintage airliners. If this happens, I hope I'm still among the living to see it.

Exactly, just wait the FSX/P3D version to see things move ! I just hope it will be very soon !

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I have to say that I love this DC-6 in X-Plane. I use both P3D and X-Plane, so I will buy it again for P3D since I love this DC-6 so much, but X-Plane seems to give the more realistic feel of flying of all of the sims.

Right now I don't know when I will get into my more modern aircraft again.  I'm just so addicted to this DC-6 that I dream about it when I go to sleep (it's true!).

PMDG did a remarkable job with this aircraft. I would say that they can do anything that they want to in X-Plane.

• Upvote 1