Sign in to follow this  
Avantime

This is what future flight sims should look like

WOW! That is photorealistic weather rendering! 100x better than we have now in any flight simulator.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hello 2FPS

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Guest Mik75

Breathtakingly beautiful. But I could imagine, adding high res and quality ground and airport scenery, a high fidelity add on plane, with in depth system simulation and flight model, would be a bit too much for today's consumer computer systems.

I would love to see a revolutionary first person game with graphics like that, together with realistic tides. By "revolutionary", I mean a game that has more to do with "exploration and discovery" than relentless combat.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

what got me there was the cloud cycle. The formation and dissipation of the clouds was super realistic. This was done with Outerra? It seems to that the smart first step with this program to make a flight Simulator would be to make a gliding simulator. Visually everything is there. Glider pilots depend on environmental visual que's. If the they can model wind and turbulance and make the visual que's consistent and build a few decent gliders with precise flight dynamics they are there. Typically, a glider pilots flying cross country is looking within 15 degrees of his track for the wisps of the early formation of a cumulus cloud. Flying toward that wisp by the time you get there if you good is already formed into a working cumulus with a nice thermal right underneath it. That's a simplification but that video is the only time I have seen the cloud cycle done that well. Seem to me that a Outerra is made for a highly details gliding simulation and a full blown flight simulator first step.

In 2006 I hoped that in 10 years time, flightsims would look this way.  We are still not quite there.

By "revolutionary", I mean a game that has more to do with "exploration and discovery" than relentless combat.

Totally agree,

• Upvote 1

Easy to do when you are simulating a small area, look at GTA V, people were stating that was the future of flight sims...problem is, these effects and complexity just don't scale.  GTA V was a 60Gb download, i can't even imagine what that amount would be scaled up to cover the world; that is before you get to the hardware needed to run it.

I'd be quite happy with a 64-bit version of P3D with X-Plane's night lighting, DCS's flight dynamics and a decent ATC system.

Ian R Tyldesley

Looks pretty good, but I spotted one mistake with the night cycle view of the sky. They showed the Milky Way the way it looks in a long camera exposure, with colors the eye can't see. You can see color in individual bright stars at a dark sky location, but the Milky Way itself has no visible color. It's also not that detailed. Makes for a splashy effect in the demo, but it ain't realistic.

I did like the way clouds would constantly change shape. Very realistic. Also the approaching rain cloud was pretty good.. 

As mentioned above though, this isn't too far from what we can already get with hand-animated weather graphics in contemporary AAA games. The Witcher 3 game has some pretty impressive weather effects that I wouldn't mind seeing in a flight sim. The trick however, is running all of this in a realistic way that includes changes in temperature, wind velocity and direction within large cloud systems that affect a plane's flight model. Otherwise it's just pretty eye candy. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Why has this been moved to the Outerra forum? That software has nothing to do with Outerra.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I think it is rendered in Outerra? It says so in the video

Edit: My bad, I though it said Outerra in the upper left corner of the video but it actually said Outer Atmosphere. So I figure it has nothing to do with Outerra :Whistle:

I was fixing to ask the same thing! This is not "Outerra" at all! :Shocked:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I was fixing to ask the same thing! This is not "Outerra" at all! :Shocked:

Nope. It appeared in the Outerra forum as an inspirational post, (to spur on the developers) and was then posted here, and now it's in the Outerra forum here.  :smile: 

Quite a journey!

But it's not Outerra. :-)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5