Sign in to follow this  
armenius

Cyril Pioffet AS 341G Gazelle

Is anyone running this heli on FSX. I originally tried the FS2004 version, all the windows are solid, no transparency. Never had this issue converting older aircraft with ModelconverterX. Then I found a newer version, GazelleX, updated for FSX with DDS textures. Same issue, even pre-viewing in ModelconverterX. I'm stumped, would appreciate any input on this.

Hey armenius,

Just for Poops and Giggles, I went over to Hover Control and downloaded Their Gazelle, for Fs 2004, Loaded it into FSX !! I had to rename the Texture Files ( 1,2,3,4), fired it up and away We Went !! You do have to do the Update, and install the Config Files, and You will have to do a little work on the Panel, Outdated Gauges, And this can be taken care of with Fspanel Studio, and You may want to use DxtBmp to raise the Alpha to around 220, Things are a bit Glossy, But the Paint Looks GOOD, the Glass Looks GOOD, and the VC Works, Except for Missing Gauges ! They may have an FSX version, I didn't Check ! - Good Luck - Let US Know how You make out !! Johnman B)

Yes, I've tried the 2004 cfg file. Didn't change anything. I can see forward out the front glass, but all the side windows are white. Externally I cannot see into the cockpit at all, side windows are white and nose glass is a goldish color. Looks the same in ModelconverterX.  Somehow I have to figure this one out.

Did You go to "hovercontrol.com", and download and Install THEIR Files ???, These Files WILL Work !!. The Helicopter Looks Great !! , If YOu Need Help Installing the Files, I'd Be Happy to. !! Johnman B)

Went to hovercontrol, downloaded the FS 2002 package and the 2004 cfg update. Just ran it thru ModelconverterX to preview. Same opaque windows, except the roof windows are now a dark yellow and 2 of the side windows are light yellow instead of them all being white. Thanks for the offer, I'm proficient at installing files, just no experience at alpha channel issues. Video card issue?, its a new card, never seen anything like this with hundreds of aircraft I've downloaded, even FS2002 and FS2004  aircraft I've updated. If its a card issue, I'm not sure what to look at there..I'm going to spend some time to figure this out, on top of the several hours already invested.

OK - If You are Interested, I will try to Walk You through the Valley of "Alpha" ! The Very Base Nougat, of how I Handle Alpha is a Little Program Called "DXTBMP", Its a free Program By "Mwgraphics", and can be downloaded from their Website. You also Need a Paint Program that can handle Layers, I use Photo Shop, You can use Gimp, or Paint Shop Pro, I don't think that Windows Paint does Layers, but if it does You can use that !

When You first use DXTBMP, It will ask You what Your Paint Program is, Make Your selection, I Believe You point to its *.exe file.

First You want to Make a copy of "gazelle_t.bmp" in the first Texture File, in the Aircraft Folder, Copy and Paste is fine, The Name Doesn't Matter, as long as it is different. Next You want to Load the file "gazelle_t.bmp", into DXTBMP. On the Right side of Its Window You will see an Area for the Alpha channel, You should see Shaded Outlines of the Objects in the texture file, that is The Alpha Channel !

Below the Window for the Alpha Channel, Hover over the Boxes, and select the one that says, send to editor. this will Open Your Paint Program, and You will see an Open Window called Texture.bmp, , It should also show the Shaded Outlines of the Objects in the Texture file.

What We want to do is make this Image Slightly Darker, which makes the Glass in the Texture a Little Less Opaque !

Create a New Layer, and fill it with R:220, G:220, B:220, Now set the Opacity of the Layer, So that You can see the Outlines Clearly, However a Little Bit Darker ! When You are satisfied, Flatten the Image, then Go to the File Menu and Hit Save !

For now You are done with Your Paint Program .

Go back to DXTBMP, and next to the Button that You sent Your Alpha Channel to the Editor with, Click the Button "Refresh after Edit", You should See Your Altered Alpha Channel. Go to the File Menu and Click "Save".

That's it, You have Altered The Opacity of the Windows, of the Helicopter, for that Texture, This Process needs to Be Repeated for each Aircraft Texture. You May want to Repeat to Adjust the Opacity, Keep the RGB numbers the same, 256 being Max, of course 0 is Min. Also some of the Windows on the side and top are Colored Yellow, this Process will change their opacity !

Hope this Helps, Questions are Appropriate, Let US know How You make out !

Johnman B)  

Yes, thank you I am very interested to learn this. I've got DXTBMP. Have an older version of Photoshop, here's where I'm stuck. After Alpha channel is sent to PS, when I go to click layer/new its not highlighted so I cant select that. I can go File/new and then layer is enabled. Also how do I fill with R:220, G:220, B:220?

So, here's where I'm at. Could not select new layer after importing Alpha. Looked at Image/mode ; indexed color is checked. If I select RGB color, then Layer/new is enabled. I can add a layer, filled with paint bucket from color palette, selected black at 75% opacity. Still unsure of how to fill  R:220, G:220, B:220? Flattened image, saved. Then DXT, refresh after edit, Darker Alpha shows in window. Save. When I open in MCX, no change. Open texture again in DXT and the Alpha appears as original, not the darker version I saved. Has this to do with the image mode?

Hey armenius,

Sorry, My Bad, We're dealing with a Channel here, Ain't No Layers, We can still work it Out !!

First You want to Make a copy of "gazelle_t.bmp" in the first Texture File, in the Aircraft Folder, Copy and Paste is fine, The Name Doesn't Matter, as long as it is different. Next You want to Load the file "gazelle_t.bmp", into DXTBMP. On the Right side of Its Window You will see an Area for the Alpha channel, You should see Shaded Outlines of the Objects in the texture file, that is The Alpha Channel !

Below the Window for the Alpha Channel, Hover over the Boxes, and select the one that says, send to editor. this will Open Your Paint Program, and You will see an Open Window called Texture.bmp, , It should also show the Shaded Outlines of the Objects in the Texture file.

What We want to do is make this Image Slightly Darker, which makes the Glass in the Texture a Little Less Opaque !

Go to the 2 boxes at the bottom of the "Tool Box", and Click on the top Box, which opens the Color Selector, Click on Picker, This opens a New Window, on the Right side, in the Left Column, You will see 7 Boxes going down. We are interested in the R. box, G. box, and B. box. Stands for Red, Green, Blue. Change their values to R. 220, G. 220, B. 220, Color Boxes should Change to a Light Grey Color, the Top Box, at the Bottom of the Tool Box, should also be a LIght Grey Color. Click on Your Paint Bucket Tool, and Dump it on " Texture.bmp. Go to the File Menu and Hit Save !

For now You are done with Your Paint Program .

Go back to DXTBMP, and next to the Button that You sent Your Alpha Channel to the Editor with, Click the Button "Refresh after Edit", You should See Your Altered Alpha Channel. Go to the File Menu and Click "Save".

That's it, You have Altered The Opacity of the Windows, of the Helicopter, for that Texture, This Process needs to Be Repeated for each Aircraft Texture. You May want to Repeat to Adjust the Opacity, Keep the RGB numbers the same, 256 being Max, of course 0 is Min. Also some of the Windows on the side and top are Colored Yellow, this Process will change their opacity, They will remain Yellow !

Hope this Helps, Questions are Appropriate, Let US know How You make out !

Johnman B)

• Upvote 1

Well... this is rapidly becoming exasperating. I'm getting proficient at the procedures but not seeing any positive results. I've tried your instructions, no change, tried inverting the Alpha, same. Made all the windows on the Alpha black, still nothing, only the nose window is now white instead of its goldish hue. I've read numerous posts an different forums and this should work. I've even tried creating my own Alpha channel. Nada. Someone suggested it might be a video card issue, Because others are seeing transparent windows and my opaque windows are both in FSX and MCX. Not sure where to go from here.

Hey armenius,

Just so You Don't think I'm Jerking Your Chain, I want to include a couple of WIP's,

Screen%20Shot%2006-12-16%20at%2012.10%20

Screen%20Shot%2006-12-16%20at%2012.13%20

Note Yellow Windows

Screen%20Shot%2006-12-16%20at%2012.11%20

Screen%20Shot%2006-12-16%20at%2012.12%20

Screen%20Shot%2006-12-16%20at%2012.12%20

These are all Straight from Hover Control, with NO attempt to change Glossiness, or Opacity !, as there are No "Glass" Textures, in the Texture File, so Glass Opacity must be Controlled in the MDL File ?? Maybe Someone of Higher Knowledge can Confirm this ??, and there is No way it can be altered, without the Gmax file.

Why You are Not Getting, what I'm Getting, Using the Same Files I'm Using, Beats Me like a Drum !!??, Maybe, if You Completely Delete, Every thing You have done so far, Delete all the Files, and Start Over again Completely, using Only the Hover control Files, I don't think Hardware is the answer, and You can Bet that it is going to be Some thing Simple, but I would Really like to See You, Jump into this Beauty, and FlippityFlop off Toward the Horizon !! - No one ever said. Having Fun was Easy !! - Johnman  :fool:   

I have deleted everything and started over using the 2004 Hovercontrol version as well as the GazelleX FSX version. Still no Joy. Will put this on hold for a while as its become frustrating beyond belief. Like some sort of Twilight zone episode. While most are seeing transparent windows, one other person told me they have this problem also. Will return to working on my latest airbase project. Might do some more reading on the subject and tinker with this later. Thanks for your help.