Sign in to follow this  
Vinny002

DC-6 autopilot

Hi, the uninstaller!

Yes, I had the stability augmentation sliders leftmost, still makes no difference. Now what? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

It seems that, if it feels like it's acting up, it's worth fully shutting down the a/p (i.e. shutting the gyro and alt control off, clicking the spot above the turn knob and returning the mode selector to gyro) and checking you've not got any abnormal trim settings in the trim windows below the turn knob, before turning it all back on again. I've had a couple of moments where it's tried to turn when I wouldn't have expected it to (mostly following electronic disconnects) and it seemed to sort it for me.

HI, guys!

I don't know about the DC-6 autopilot. I tried everything you suggested, the control column still turn to the right even when on the ground as well as in the air. What now? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

I had to go back to beginning of this thread... why are you selecting LOC mode?  I assume you want the autopilot to hold a heading, so the switch belongs in the gyropilot position.  There are only a few steps required see POH pg 84 for engaging the A/P (note there are also step for preflight too, be sure you do those).

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi, downscc!

I did not have the AP mode on LOC. What pre-flight steps to follow to get the AP working properly before takeoff? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

What pre-flight steps to follow to get the AP working properly before takeoff? Thanks!

Vincent, in the POH.  Only a few pages before the reference I provided you.  Please become familiar with the handbook.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi, downscc!

I followed the POH. I checked the trims are neutral, I turned the gyropilot on, turned the autopilot lever on, disengage the gust lock for the control surfaces, the control column still move to the right. What now? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

I checked the trims are neutral, I turned the gyropilot on, turned the autopilot lever on, disengage the gust lock for the control surfaces, the control column still move to the right

This is happening during preflight on the ground?

Dan Downs KCRP

I saw the same thing during beta and reported it.  However, and this is important, I was not seeing an uncommanded roll with the A/P in flight when coupling the gyropilot, which I think is your original problem. I get confused with the problem description when there are different problems reported in same thread.

Vincent, now that you've done the preflight for the autopilot, take her up in the air and trim for straight and level and engage her... see what happens.

PS:  My name is on my post.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi, Dan!

Yesterday, I took the DC-6 up in the air, trimmed the airplane for straight and level flight still the same problem as when on the ground.

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

Are you trying to start from a loaded situation file, or do you start the DC-6 from cold and dark every time?

I'm noticing that there seems to be a problem with loading the situation files.  My yoke will stay off-center.  But if I start the DC-6 from cold and dark using the AFE, I have no problem with the yoke.  It centers perfectly.

The problem may have something to do with the gust-lock and situation files when saved and loaded.

Hi, FSXtreme!

I start the DC-6 from cold & dark every time.

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

I'm having uncommanded right turns as well...  trims all neutral, doing it by the book.

Joseph Chamberlain

FAA ADX