Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Austin Meyer (creator of X-Plane) updates us on his patent troll problem

I'm sure we've heard Meyer's problem with patent trolls suing him for "infringing" on vague patents.

Here's the update, uploaded a few days ago:

Very infuriating stuff... Thankfully, his videos are receiving quite a lot of coverage and hopefully some action will be taken against those that participate in this.

• Upvote 3

Unbelievable!

Thx for sharing, and a good reason for supporting X-Plane 10...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

That's only one point within ~100 or so Meyer will need to defend. Basically the US patent system is rotten dating from the 19th century. Obama wants to help but gets blocked by republicans, lawyers and big companies like MS. They will need to look at EU laws and learn, sooner or later, as it's a threat for us economy.

That's only one point within ~100 or so Meyer will need to defend. Basically the US patent system is rotten dating from the 19th century. Obama wants to help but gets blocked by republicans, lawyers and big companies like MS. They will need to look at EU laws and learn, sooner or later, as it's a threat for us economy.

I'm happy to live in Europe and find some people over there lost there minds.

Hence I think from an European perspective the Justice system is so of track you can't speak of justice but almost a criminal system ;)

• Upvote 1

André

As a European, it's hard not to think that America has seriously lost its way which is worrying for the world.

• Upvote 8

'Merica = Land of the free, home of the lawsuit! What a sad state of affairs. I feel for Mr. Meyer, and anyone else getting shafted by these crooks.

Wish him the best of luck.

• Upvote 1

Did anyone catch that Uniloc is an Australian Corporation suing in USA?

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

As a European, it's hard not to think that America has seriously lost its way which is worrying for the world.

Don't worry, we think the same thing about you guys. 

• Upvote 3

How about we refrain from partisan politics around here - we get enough of this junk in the real world...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 6

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

The problem is not limited to a country or region. It is deeply rooted in the dilapidated status of the legal profession, being a member of which I am sometimes ashamed of. Congrats to Mr. Meyer for standing up and resisting to be silenced through a settlement. He is innovative and courageous. 

• Upvote 3

Hans

How about we refrain from partisan politics around here - we get enough of this junk in the real world...

Regards,

Scott

No interest in getting into a politics discussion here either but CyberMike's comment is factually inaccurate.  I looked into this a while back.

Carry on...

• Upvote 2

I totally agree with your thoughts, sad but true.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

No interest in getting into a politics discussion here either but CyberMike's comment is factually inaccurate.  I looked into this a while back.

Carry on...

What is inaccurate? What did you look into? I remember Austin to have said that this is only one point and he expects more to follow. The us patent system dates from 19th century, don't remember where I read this, but should be true as well.

As an American myself, it makes it hard to say, but I totally agree.  This country is not headed in a good direction at all.  If it wouldn't be for not wanting to move my daughter away from her family here, I'd be moving out of this country in a heartbeat.  In fact, if things do continue to get worse, I may move to get my daughter somewhere better/safer.

The political and legal system here are absolute jokes.  Both need to be completely torn down and done over!

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024