Sign in to follow this  
airernie

Probable direction that FSDT is going

Can't blame them for leaning toward P3D.  Seems wise.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

It is odd to watch all those who are so sure that FSX will never die. It is just like we humans and the certainty of our deaths. We know it's coming some time but our minds can always find ways that keep us ever hopeful. For some it's in the numbers from insane "medical studies", others look to some form of religion or cults. We are all guilty of it. We hold certain beliefs and can not imagine a different out come. Usually those beliefs are much deeper things than a hobby or game. FSXers seem to be an exception. They are a hardy lot for sure!! :angel:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I'd post there (but I don't want to go through the hassle of registration) - right at the end ipg1939 is using my statistics. It's a shame, because while he's aggregated the annual totals, the monthly totals for FSX vs. P3D show a very different story.

There have been a few transitions over the years (I have around 14 years of simulator version data). Right now we're on the cusp of the big switch over to P3D. I'm not sure what effect DTG's sim will have on things, but the sim of choice is definitely in flux right now.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

FSXers seem to be an exception. They are a hardy lot for sure!! :angel:

I am still on FSX. I am not making a stand or being stubborn, I just have a lot of add ons, etc.... with FSX and it is working nicely enough.

Changing to P3d means getting all those add ons, set up, etc.... again, which is a problem. At this stage, I am quite happy the way things are. I do my stuff and all's good. I am aware P3d is better though, but what can I do?

Visit my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/Captain Nav

Follow me live on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/captainnav

I'd post there (but I don't want to go through the hassle of registration) - right at the end ipg1939 is using my statistics. It's a shame, because while he's aggregated the annual totals, the monthly totals for FSX vs. P3D show a very different story.

There have been a few transitions over the years (I have around 14 years of simulator version data). Right now we're on the cusp of the big switch over to P3D. I'm not sure what effect DTG's sim will have on things, but the sim of choice is definitely in flux right now.

Cheers!

Luke

You are aware that those statics are based on a virtual airline which is a small minority of users ;-)

André

Well stated Umberto  :wink: writing is on the wall

Rich Sennett

It makes perfect sense to me. The future of Flight Sim is Prepar3D and XPX. I really doubt that DTG will be able to catch up. There might be a niche for Aerofly FS2 but it really depends on what happens with that by the end of the year and if it is novel.

You are aware that those statics are based on a virtual airline which is a small minority of users ;-)

I'm very aware of the limitations in my data. At best, I think it's somewhat representative of North American users who enjoy simulating commercial aviation. At least in that subset, there's a change going on, and it appears significant.

If anything, I think that subset would be the most resistant to change, since they tend to have the most complicated and expensive add-ons, both in terms of aircraft and large airport scenery.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I'm very aware of the limitations in my data. At best, I think it's somewhat representative of North American users who enjoy simulating commercial aviation. At least in that subset, there's a change going on, and it appears significant.

If anything, I think that subset would be the most resistant to change, since they tend to have the most complicated and expensive add-ons, both in terms of aircraft and large airport scenery.

Cheers!

Luke

Actually P3D in it's current form is very mature and far ahead of what was FSX in 2006 ;) and a moving platform and that isn't going unnoticed indeed...

Well we have always simmers that won't like a change and stay on FS9 or FS10 for their own reasons...

Cheers,

André

Actually it is a good decision to pull the band aid off now and move forward.

I am still on FSX. I am not making a stand or being stubborn, I just have a lot of add ons, etc.... with FSX and it is working nicely enough.

Changing to P3d means getting all those add ons, set up, etc.... again, which is a problem. At this stage, I am quite happy the way things are. I do my stuff and all's good. I am aware P3d is better though, but what can I do?

You are right Fnav77. There are probably 100's of good reasons not to move to P3D. My post not intended to get people to convert. LOL It was just a comment on human nature. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

It makes perfect sense to me. The future of Flight Sim is Prepar3D and XPX. I really doubt that DTG will be able to catch up. There might be a niche for Aerofly FS2 but it really depends on what happens with that by the end of the year and if it is novel.

P3D will only really become mainstream and truly successful when they get rid of the "not for personal consumer/entertainment" caveat in all of their licenses. Many more people would probably buy it if entertainment use was officially allowed.

• Upvote 2

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

This EULA talk is against the rules and this thread is probably going to get locked because you guys had to debate the EULA and who's right and wrong.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Topic locked.  EULA's regarding P3D are prohibited.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10