portsmouth4.jpg

portsmouth5.jpg

portsmouth6.jpg

portsmouth7.jpg

portsmouth8.jpg

portsmouth9.jpg

Thanks for viewing

• Upvote 1

Cute little blue spinner! :cool: Great shots of the coastal town.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Well, I first flew from Portsmouth airport in 1954ish in a Dove to Jersey, our home. The flights were direct. But, the return flights were via Shoreham for Customs.

It was only after two aircraft incidents that the airport was closed, as it was dangerous for heavier aircraft and a grass field. Wartime, it was very active.

What you are seeing now, as you fly over the city, was never like that - no motorways. In the last shot, where you have the long tank, yes tank, was Horsea Island, an island. Land fill, yacht marinas are there now. The Navy tested torpedos in there. Also there were a lot of radio masts, used very much for Operation Overlord. Fort Southwick is not far away, up on the hill, where the D-Day landings were controlled from.

Of course, there are other important landmarks around, too.

Thanks

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Nice shots!

Thanks for comments!

Cute little blue spinner! :cool: Great shots of the coastal town.

Appreciate the comment!

Well, I first flew from Portsmouth airport in 1954ish in a Dove to Jersey, our home. The flights were direct. But, the return flights were via Shoreham for Customs.

It was only after two aircraft incidents that the airport was closed, as it was dangerous for heavier aircraft and a grass field. Wartime, it was very active.

What you are seeing now, as you fly over the city, was never like that - no motorways. In the last shot, where you have the long tank, yes tank, was Horsea Island, an island. Land fill, yacht marinas are there now. The Navy tested torpedos in there. Also there were a lot of radio masts, used very much for Operation Overlord. Fort Southwick is not far away, up on the hill, where the D-Day landings were controlled from.

Of course, there are other important landmarks around, too.

Thanks

Thanks very much because the location has a varied history...It's amazing you remember the Navy High Power shore  Wireless stations...It's now used for diving training and underwater engineering.

HLJAMES

It is just a case of our house was on Portsdown Hill with commanding views of Portsmouth Harbour, Portchester Castle, The Solent, Isle of Wight, Fawley in the West and Calshot (where the seaplanes were based, and across to Hayling Island in the East and to watch Argosy's doing sircuits and the Barrage Balloons.

Oh! For a touch of nostalgia...

• Upvote 1

Martin Parr

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

It is just a case of our house was on Portsdown Hill with commanding views of Portsmouth Harbour, Portchester Castle, The Solent, Isle of Wight, Fawley in the West and Calshot (where the seaplanes were based, and across to Hayling Island in the East and to watch Argosy's doing sircuits and the Barrage Balloons.

Oh! For a touch of nostalgia...

The three forts in the Solent are now luxury hotels....I would love to have seen the embarkation of ships for D-Day.

HLJAMES

D-Day was 3 years before my arrival! However, the remnants were still around for many years afterwards and as kids we had great fun exploring the shores and the vessels that failed to leave.

Martin Parr

Nice shots.

nebojsa

D-Day was 3 years before my arrival! However, the remnants were still around for many years afterwards and as kids we had great fun exploring the shores and the vessels that failed to leave.

The scenery has HMS Warrior Harbour Rail Station and Gunwarf Quays Ferry but no Spinnaker Tower....I suppose I can find a tower and put it there!

Nice shots.

nebojsa

Thanks for your comment!

HLJAMES