Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

P3D v3.2 crashes when.... crashing

Several times now so it is not a once off. If I crash my plane, P3D goes and CTD's on me almost immediately almost every time. The error I see is:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Prepar3D.exe

Fault Module: StackHash_5351

Any ideas on how to deal with this one? P3D has only ever crashed when I crash an aircraft. Otherwise I can fly for hours without issue so it must be related to the crash itself? Not limited to only one aircraft either.

Thanks!

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Good, it's a simulator, you're not supposed to crash. ;)

If you go into Realism and check "Ignore crashes and damage", does it still ctd?

Good, it's a simulator, you're not supposed to crash. ;)

If you go into Realism and check "Ignore crashes and damage", does it still ctd?

LOL, only when fooling about and testing stuff. If I set the sim to ignore crashes then I don't have a problem. I read elsewhere that a "StackHash crash can sometimes be due to overclocking. I am o/clocked to 4.7Ghz but I have never once had a blue screen or other pc crash for that matter, only this odd problem which can be in default aircraft and scenery or payware aircraft and scenery it seems. The only common thing is the crash itself. The crash show for a few seconds and it appears that the CTD occurs at the point where P3D would be going to load the default scenario up again.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Hi Greg,

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides detailed information regarding StackHash errors (see link in my signature).  There is no know fix for a StackHash but some have fixed it by lowering their overclock or updating their hardware drivers or removing their p3d.cfg and allowing the sim to rebuild it.  What will fix it for you is purely a guess.  I personally think the EMT tool causes most of the problems with P3D, including the StackHash.  I have received a StackHash many times and every time, it's a different fix.  If you search Google for StackHash you'll find it is common for all products and not just P3D or FSX.  There is no known fix for those products too.  I wish I had more positive information but you'll have to try out the investigative techniques in the AVSIM CTD Guide or do like I did once and that's to reformat my SSD, reinstall Windows, and then FSX and P3D. 

Hope you can find a fix and you do not have to go through the turmoil of reinstalling everything.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim,

Ironically, for now the easy way out seems to be to to set the sim to ignore crashes. I will take another read through the CTD guide and maybe try lowering my overclocking a little. I don't use the EMT.

All else fails, planning to fresh install to formatted PC anyway once the Windows 10 anniversary update is released end July, at which time I will also update to P3Dv3.3.

GregH

When you set your sim to ignore crashes, this means, when your aircraft runs into something, your sim will not crash.  If the tires of your aircraft run over a light bordering a taxiway, your sim will crash and you will have to start the scenario all over again.  It definitely has nothing to do with a StackHash or ntdll.dll error, etc.  That's a problem with your configuration, Windows, or your hardware.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim, I suspect it might be my overclock. I am on 4.7Ghz (i7-6700K) set using the MSI easy one click option. The CTD only ever happens if I literally crash my aircraft. If I set ignore crashes, P3D does not CTD when I crash as the aircraft just bounces or does what ever it does when it hits the ground or another object. The CTD seems to happen at the moment P3D processes the crash and thinks to itself, "OK, you crashed you idiot, now lets take you back to the default flight in a F22 Raptor at Eglin AFB". At that moment, it suddenly decides that it too should crash in solidarity with my poor aircraft. :-)

This only became apparent while getting to grips with the A2A Texan / Harvard which took a while to master (ground handling, not air). Subsequently I noticed other aircraft did the same thing, just that I had not crashed them before :-)

Regards,

GregH

Hey Jim,

Just an update here, hope I am not being too quick to call it resolved.... I deleted my prepar3d.cfg and let the sim build a new one. Having done that, I have been unable to recreate the crash, even though I have tried several times in differrent aircraft and after rebooting etc. It was usually rather easy to generate the CTD if crashing an aircraft. Hope it really was that easy.

I tried comparing old vs. newly rebuilt cfg's side by side.  Apart from the HIGHMEMFIX having being added to the cfg by some third party add on (I definitely did not add it!) and some entries for FS Force [force feedback joystick software] I could not see an obvious error - except one - what appears to be a spelling mistake with one of the FS Force entries in the cfg. I will let the developer of this payware program know. Even though I have run the FS Force program, those entries are not reproduced in the new cfg and the force feedback stick is working just fine. So just maybe that was the culprit, but I really have no idea. Hold thumbs!

GregH

HIGHMEMFIX having being added to the cfg by some third party add on (I definitely did not add it!)

This parameter is definitely not supposed to be added in the P3D.cfg.  The fix is already built into P3D.exe.  Not sure if this would cause a crash though or P3D would simply disregard it.  You can always "comment" it out so it does not load by placing two slashes in front of the parameter as follows:  //highmemfix=1.

Hopefully your crashes are fixed and you can enjoy P3D again.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Could have been a problem with the default flight which could have pointed to a plane that won't restart as the default after a crash:

[uSERINTERFACE]
SITUATION=

As it happens, set HIGHMEMFIX=0 and it does alter the characteristics of the GPU, best to leave it out. Won't cause a crash though.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com