Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

Uninstalling FSX, what will happen with scenery installed in P3D with the EMT?

Guest Mik75

Hi there, quite a long thread title. ;-)

Let me explain what I want to do:

I have a machine with two SSD, the C: drive contains the OS (Win 7 64 bit) and FSX Acceleration, the E: drive has my P3D install on it.

I don't use the Estonian Migration tool anymore, since it caused some very strange things with my registry and the cfg and exe.xml files. Everything is clean and working perfectly stable again, but I still have some FSX scenery installed in P3D. The control panel, or the I.e. Aerosoft entries in the start menu, show the FSX install only.

If I would uninstall all scenery and addon aircraft, using the control panel, followed by FSX with its SP's, would that have any effect on the old scenery I've installed in P3D, using the EMT?

I hope, one can understand my "problem" ;-)

Thanks a lot in advance for your input!

If you uninstall FSX, if will not affect the installation of P3D whatsoever.  P3D has its own scenery.cfg.  If the scenery is located outside of the FSX folder (I have all of my scenery on E drive), then when you reinstall FSX, you should move your old scenery.cfg back to the new install and all of your scenery will be there again.  I always back up my scenery.cfg for FSX and move it to a temporary folder before uninstalling FSX.  The registry entries for the scenery that was installed will remain but you may have to relink them if you moved the location of the FSX reinstall.  For instance, if the current installation of FSX is on C drive and you reinstall it to D drive, you may have to relink the scenery.  That is easy if you have the SceneryConfigEditor as it will show you in red a warning if the scenery is not linked properly.

EMT is a separate program.  If you uninstall it (which I strongly recommend everyone get rid of this tool), the stuff that was installed using EMT will remain on your system.  EMT was just used to hack your software so it would install in a program where it is not supposed to be installed.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Guest Mik75

Ok, cool! Thanks a lot for this detailed answer!

So, let's say I have Aerosoft German Airports 2 installed in FSX (all on C: drive), with the original installer, and in P3D (all on E: drive), installed using the EMT back then.

In the Win control panel I have only one entry called Aerosoft GA2, same in the start menu, in the Aerosoft folder.

When I uninstall Aerosoft GA2, using the Win control panel, it will only uninstall the FSX version, P3D will remain untouched?

When I uninstall Aerosoft GA2, using the Win control panel, it will only uninstall the FSX version, P3D will remain untouched?

Why are you going to uninstall Aerosoft German Airports2?  Does it require an entry in the dll.xml or exe.xml?  If so, save those files too along with the scenery.cfg before you uninstall FSX.  FSX and P3D are two separate sims.  In some cases, you can use the same scenery installed in P3D to FSX scenery.cfg.  You just make a link to it via the Scenery Library or the SceneryConfigEditor.  I have several sceneries which were installed for FSX but I link to P3D.  All of my MegaSceneryEarth stuff works well in both sims. 

I would leave GA2 installed, reinstall FSX, and then relink GA2 to the new FSX.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Guest Mik75

I would like to uninstall FSX and reinstall XPX instead.

Another possibility could be, to add a third drive to my machine. I am not sure though, if that is possible with my ASUS main board.

Ok, cool! Thanks a lot for this detailed answer!

So, let's say I have Aerosoft German Airports 2 installed in FSX (all on C: drive), with the original installer, and in P3D (all on E: drive), installed using the EMT back then.

In the Win control panel I have only one entry called Aerosoft GA2, same in the start menu, in the Aerosoft folder.

I expect it will remove what you installed last.

Cheers

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Guest Mik75

I expect it will remove what you installed last.

Cheers

Luke

Yeah, I see!

That whole thing might cause a big amount of chaos.

Using the EMT was not a good idea...

Maybe I should consider the additional drive instead. I'll check if a 3rd drive is possible. That way, I could use all three sims, which would be the best thing!