Sign in to follow this  
vasanta

Engine freezing enroute

Hey Team,

I really enjoy flying this plane. I really do. However, today I came across a "strange" behaviour that most probably is not strange at all, but first things first.

Flying from SBSP to SBRF, FL 210, about 90.000 lbs, about one third of distance travelled. 

Engine was set up according to provided performance data and I just switched from the ALT-MAIN-MAIN-ALT fuel config to the XFEED-MAIN-MAIN-XFEED fuel configuration.

Then, after a short glimpse, Eng 1 "freezed" like not moving visually (just freezing in its turning position). It was not clearly stopped, more or less freezed in its moving look.

Oil temp was falling rapidly, Oil pressure also dropped more slowly. All the remaining engine parameters freezed in their respective position. When trying to restart that engine (kind of silly but what should I do?) the oil pressure climbed repeatedly, just to drop again for about 20 times with nothing happening. And here comes my question:

What was going on?

Hello Erich

I too have this problem(eng no2);it may be xplane at fault.

Heinz p38,Aerobask Da42.i've seen frozen props with these also.

Save you position with the pmdg save function,then restart xplane.Reload your save usually cures this.

Could be xplane not loading the dc6 or swapping aircraft can cause it.

There's more info on xplane.org.

Dean Stansfield

Hi:

I am almost "happy" to read these two reports.

I have had, today, sudden "freezes" in two engines (#1 and #4). External views showed the propellers turning but the engine displays were not responding.

However, I must "confess" that I did not feather the props, as this would have been a good check of simply windmilling engines.

Upon landing at an airport nearby on two engines (not bad for a newbie!!), I realized that I had not reset the fuel load starting the flight (therefore did not think of crossfeeding tanks) and it is possible that the "failures" were related to fuel starvation of those two engines.

However, I find it interesting that there might be information on similar engine failures at the x-plane forums.

I will certainly check that.

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Hello Roberto

If your props still moved,its a engine failure.Start a new thread and ask pmdg about modeled engine failure.

Xplane has a glitch with resources,it shows as stuck prop or prop static animation of a prop.

If visit xplane.org type frozen prop;there is a more techinical-explaination than me.

Kind regards to all esp.DC6 flyers!

Dean Stansfield.

Thank you Dean.

I repeated th flight today with proper fuel and all went well.

But I will check all of your auggestions.

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Gents,

Seems there is some community knowledge of a flaw within X-Plane that causes this?  Or am I not correctly understanding the replies?

If you guys can get me information on what causes it- I can certainly pass it along to Laminar...  They are very receptive to such reports.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Gents,

Seems there is some community knowledge of a flaw within X-Plane that causes this?  Or am I not correctly understanding the replies?

If you guys can get me information on what causes it- I can certainly pass it along to Laminar...  They are very receptive to such reports.

Must be nice to be able to talk directly with the sim developer huh Robert? ;)

Hello Robert,

I load xplane 10 directly into flight ,rather than the graphic options pick aircraft weather ,airport.

I never asked on the forum for a cure for this.I thought it was  a quirk like FSX load default aircraft before add on aircraft.

All i can give you is bits of what i found to read...

SASL plug-in update cured a 32 bit only aircraft running 64bits.(non rotation of props)

HOT FIX for Grumman Traveler v1.51 - fixes "frozen prop disc" problem when loading other aircraft without exiting X-Plane.vflyteair

Mention of plugins conflict was also a possible cause.

There was at least half a dozen posts a month ago related to this;the other forum members recommended a restart of xplane which fixes this.First noticed on aerobask DA42 then heinz p38 at that time.

I'm not a technical computer type.

The DC6 is obviously a very complex simulation and a exit and restart,is what i always do with stuck prop or frozen animation on prop.Happened twice,usually flying one plane then loading another.When flying DC6 i load nothing else,and fly this exclusively.

I only returned to xplane five weeks ago after a year away with eyesight problems,so i could have missed something between then and now.

Sorry i could not be more helpful.

Best regards to all at PMDDG.(MD11,JS4100,DC6)Xplane10.45 up to date no missing/modified files.

Dean Stansfield

Hi, I don't own the DC6 (but do own all their P3D stuff :smile: ) , but I have had this same problem with the twin Diamond Star DA42 addon as well as the Grumman Traveler... my number 1 engine would have a frozen prop.  I can't remember the steps that cause or fix it, but it was a known issue with X-Plane at the time (last year). Sounds like the exact same thing.

Apologies for my poor remembrance, but I do recall when following certain steps the problem did not occur.  I've flown P3D exclusively the last year, so my X-Plane mojo is rusty ha, but look forward to getting back into X-Plane at some point so would love to see this fixed.