Sign in to follow this  
rtodepart

what MB can i get for 100$ ?

I was thinking of goin with Asus i also see a million other MBs and i cant pick one .I had good times with Gigabyte/MSI i dont plan on overcloking the 6700K so throw me some ideas ???????     

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I went with an ASUS Z170-A. It offers plenty of fan connectors, 6 SATA ports, plenty of USBs. Pretty high ratings all over the internet, and it's been amazing for the $130 I bought it for. (I see it's going for $150 now on Amazon, back up for some reason.) I would recommend it if you can afford a bit more than $100. For my personal needs (OC'ing, USBs, # fans), I found that dipping lower into the $100 range kind of worried me with respect to build quality (from reviews), or there was a sacrifice in hardware capability. 

I'm sure there are good boards for around $100 given that you don't plan to overclock and you won't be running too high a speed of DDR4, but unfortunately I'm not too familiar with any. 

I would encourage you to rethink the overclocking idea, especially if you are getting a 6700K. Getting an overclocking-capable board (Z170 vs say H110, H170) is definitely worth the extra $ relative to the value of the whole computer. As you know, the motherboard is the most vital part of the computer so you wouldn't want to skimp on it, and if you later decide to change it you may have to get a new Windows license and reinstall everything.

Overclocking really is easy now on these Skylake motherboards - In order to OC, I click 2 things: the core multiplier and then set a manual voltage, everything else changes automatically. You could easily get that 6700k up to 4.4-4.6ghz (given you have an aftermarket cooler), which could be a potential 5-10% increase in frames/performance over the 4.2 turbo boost.

• Upvote 2

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

You guys get a better deal than we do in the UK.

Z170-A, $130 you say! So £90.

In the UK we pay £122!

Buy a car here for £30K and in the US it costs $30K  or there about.

Ripoff Britain.

But yes, I went for the Z170-A also. Nice motherboard. PCB a bit thin, and the rear IO shield is the horrible flimsy thing rather than the better padded version... but apart from that great board for the money. Seems to be a bit more stable than the other more complex Asus Z170 boards also.

thanks for the replys. i can go all out and get a top of the line MB but im sure i don't need too ..

No reason to get an expensive motherboard. Usually they just add a ton of useless "gamer" features that you don't really need, and which do not affect reliability or performance (in spite of what the marketing would have you believe).

There are good models at just above $100 from Asus, ASRock and Gigabyte. Just make sure it has the Z170 chipset. You could go with m-ATX to save even more money, but you have to be absolutely sure you don't want to add more to the system later. The lack of expansion slots could be a problem in the future.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yeah ^

Just a side note, a Z170-A would not be going all out, at all really. It's actually low to mid range of the middle tier of motherboards. I would consider going all out to be like the ASUS Z170 Deluxe or Maximus VIII Extreme (getting into the $300/400/500 range). But anyways, yeah just make sure the chipset is Z170 if you want to overclock. Also check to make sure the ram/mobo are compatible. 

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

I was thinking of goin with Asus i also see a million other MBs and i cant pick one .I had good times with Gigabyte/MSI i dont plan on overcloking the 6700K so throw me some ideas ???????     

Why go for an K version if your not OCing? 

He may not be overclocking now, but many change their mind after building or some time in the future, when they realise how easy it is. In which case a non K would leave you screwed.

• Upvote 1

He may not be overclocking now, but many change their mind after building or some time in the future, when they realise how easy it is. In which case a non K would leave you screwed.

I agree, but I guess my way of building is that, I`d rather overclock from Day 1 on a new chip to get the most value out of my new setup, then try OCing a chip thats worked well, on Day 600 and loose that value I could have enjoyed earlier. 

To be fair if you need a Z170 skip the extreme end and the budget end of boards. The parts in the higher end only have value if you use them, otherwise useless ROI. Lower end parts, well for the most part are not a good idea. Midtier boards, especially those that are server or business certified carry a name and at least promise that they have longevity in mind. 

Why go for an K version if your not OCing? 

i like the results that some othesr are getting without OC and like that its runing at 4hz out of the box already . In the pass i had a older quad core with native 3.2 ghz with boosts up to 3.7 an was runing fine so i figure 4gz would do me good for now ....

I agree, but I guess my way of building is that, I`d rather overclock from Day 1 on a new chip to get the most value out of my new setup, then try OCing a chip thats worked well, on Day 600 and loose that value I could have enjoyed earlier. 

Or... as a new architecture usually performs admirably, initial overclocking is not required.

However, as a new architecture matures, and is superseded, it's performance is no longer on a par with the latest chips, thus overclocking becomes more desirable to bring it in line with the latest offerings.