odai

Considering moving to Prepar3d

Hello

I am currently using FSX:SE with the following addons:

- REX 4 Weather Architect

- REX 4 Texture Direct

- Orbx FTX Global

- My Traffic X 6.0a

Unfortunately the various visual issues with FSX are just killing the realism, and having become accustomed to the graphics in more advanced sims like X-plane 10 the problems with performance and visuals in FSX just don't cut it anymore.

I'm therefore considering switching to P3D v3 instead, although I want to make sure this would actually be an upgrade.

Any general feedback as to whether the shift is worth it?

Some specific concerns I have are regarding GPU and multi-core CPU utilisation, have these improved over FSX SE? How about things like scenery popping? This is extremely jarring in FSX SE (and in the vanilla MS version).

Thanks!

Is it worth it - YES - if this latest version is solid you picked a perfect time to move on - REX stuff will work great now - you should wait for Orbx to update Their stuff for this new build - hopefully wont take long - Mytraffic you will have to look into that as I own it but dont use it at the moment 

Rich Sennett

Is it worth it - YES - if this latest version is solid you picked a perfect time to move on - REX stuff will work great now - you should wait for Orbx to update Their stuff for this new build - hopefully wont take long - Mytraffic you will have to look into that as I own it but dont use it at the moment 

My Traffic works perfectly with P3D/ 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Thanks for the replies guys.

Has Prepar3d fixed the issues with scenery popping in FSX?

I notice I forgot to mention that I also use FS Global 2010. Will using that in P3D simply be a case of just installing P3D and pointing the scenery library to the folders in the FSG 2010 directory (outside the main sim folder)?

Scenery/Autogen pop-up is not completely gone. But you won't notice it if you don't focus your attention on it.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I notice I forgot to mention that I also use FS Global 2010. Will using that in P3D simply be a case of just installing P3D and pointing the scenery library to the folders in the FSG 2010 directory (outside the main sim folder)?

Yes, it works this way. If you want to apply the no_flatten config tool you must also adapt the path to terrain.cfg. It is not a requirement for the mesh though.

http://www.fsim.net/files/INSIDE_FSGLOBAL_2010.pdf

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Yes, it works this way. If you want to apply the no_flatten config tool you must also adapt the path to terrain.cfg. It is not a requirement for the mesh though.

http://www.fsim.net/files/INSIDE_FSGLOBAL_2010.pdf

Thanks.

To save myself time, I thought about simply uninstalling FSG2010 but copying the actual mesh folders beforehand. As I'm only interested in the mesh, I could then just replace the folders in a new directory and point the sim to those. Would this work? 

Thanks.

To save myself time, I thought about simply uninstalling FSG2010 but copying the actual mesh folders beforehand. As I'm only interested in the mesh, I could then just replace the folders in a new directory and point the sim to those. Would this work? 

Yes all set do it all the time

Rich Sennett

Thanks.

It would work this way, as long as you insert the correct paths in the scenery.cfg. But why uninstalling? You could just leave the files where they are.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

It would be a cleaner way to ensure the registry entries and surplus files are removed (assuming the uninstaller works correctly). Copying the mesh files only takes a couple of minutes.  :smile:

So I purchased and downloaded P3D, and so far I am very impressed with the base package. I can't believe I bothered struggling with FSX for all this time. 

CPU usage looks a lot more even and GPU usage is far better - it maxes out GPU and VRAM usage on my GTX 960. FPS aren't great with all the eye candy but I'm hoping this will improve significantly when I upgrade to the NV GTX 1070 soon. 

So I purchased and downloaded P3D, and so far I am very impressed with the base package. I can't believe I bothered struggling with FSX for all this time. 

CPU usage looks a lot more even and GPU usage is far better - it maxes out GPU and VRAM usage on my GTX 960. FPS aren't great with all the eye candy but I'm hoping this will improve significantly when I upgrade to the NV GTX 1070 soon. 

There you go - enjoy  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Just been playing with cloud cover and seeing its effect on the ground shadows. It looks incredible - this is exactly what a sim should look like in 2016!

Time now to try and get my addon content installed. 

Just been playing with cloud cover and seeing its effect on the ground shadows. It looks incredible - this is exactly what a sim should look like in 2016!

Time now to try and get my addon content installed. 

Yup gets better - dont over do your autogen sliders - P3D low settings is more than FSX maxed

Rich Sennett