Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

How to permanently disable windows defender?

I know it's a risky business not running any anti virus, but I'd still like to know how to permanently disable windows defender. It keeps quaranteening stuff that is no risk (like some of my p3d addons), and when I turn it off, it's right back on again on the next reboot. It's damn annoying, and I want to take controll of this stuff myself.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Open up Windows Defender, go to Tools on the top menu, and then click on Options. Now click on Administrator on the left-hand pane, uncheck the box for “Use this program”, and click the Save button. You will then be told that the program is turned off.

Richie Walsh

I know it's a risky business not running any anti virus, but I'd still like to know how to permanently disable windows defender. It keeps quaranteening stuff that is no risk (like some of my p3d addons), and when I turn it off, it's right back on again on the next reboot. It's damn annoying, and I want to take controll of this stuff myself.

Another way to go about it, so you don't go unprotected, is to place your P3D folder in the exclusions list, so Defender won't scan it.  I do this as well as exclude my software folder that has all my sims and content.  I was getting a lot of false positives with WD, but after the exclusion, it leaves me alone.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Thanks for that tips, Jim. I guess I will do that :)

You're very welcome.  Exclusions usage come in handy.  I don't use any other 3rd party antivirus and just stick with WD on my system (Win10 Pro).  I'll get the annoying "Windows Defender Needs To Scan Your System" message, once in a while, but otherwise, no more false positives on my sim content or running my sim.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Jim, do you find that WD impacts performance in p3d in any way?

You know, that's a good question, but one I cannot answer.  I don't watch over the processes as they work, unless I have something strange happening to my system.  In fact, I don't watch over VAS or frames or anything else while in sim.  Now, with recent OOMs I've gotten during flight, I did narrow it down to an issue with ORBX's recent changeover to the Unified LCLookup and how that didn't install properly, but I think it's sorted now.  Otherwise, I just click on the P3D icon and let it do it's thing.

If WD is affecting it in any way, it wouldn't be due to it scanning the P3D directory or sub folders within it.

Interesting Jerome, although may I be the first to point out caution.  What I mean is that someone created an application to override something that deals with security on one's machine.  Seems risky, so there's that.

@Yashigashi : Yeah :( just a link, I don't use that tool. I don't use W10 either (it lasted 24h on my computer). Better do it manually.

@Andreas There's a cleaner method

open gpedit.msc
navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender
Turn off Windows Defender = Enabled

It's not safe to disable WD completely but that's the OP requested so..

I'm afraid gpedit is not available on my window version :(

And this thread can be concidered solved for my part, even though I didn't find out how to disable WD. Adding the relevant addons to the exclusion list in essence had the same effect, and left me a little bit safter to boot :)

If any one have any experience with windows defender impacting p3d in regards to framerate or performance, please do let me know.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I use WD and use P3D with no problems. I exclude P3D from active scanning.

Richie Walsh

Windows Defender will also actively scan all 3rd party sim-related EXE files. Even with everything excluded it will continue to run and consume a small amount of CPU resources.

Windows Defender will also actively scan all 3rd party sim-related EXE files. Even with everything excluded it will continue to run and consume a small amount of CPU resources.

Aren't we splitting hairs here?  With the small amount of active scanning going on with WD, I doubt it's activity is going to hamper sim operation.