Sign in to follow this  
Peter Webber

Why did FSX Gold (Boxed DVD's) become so expensive?

Good day.

Was just searching through various on-line shopping sites and came across FSX Gold Edition (Boxed) being sold at ridiculous prices. Any ideas as to why it became so expensive? I have 3 new sealed boxes at home which I purchased cheaply around 3 years ago but never used them (I bought them hoping to get friends interested in the hobby). I use P3D v3 and don't touch FSX so who would really want to pay so much for a 2006 boxed product which can be found on Steam in a recompiled format? Is it now seen as a collectors item? I've checked in other forums but all give differing reasons.

Regards.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

What sort of reasons were you given?  Most likely that since Microsoft is no longer attached to the sim, it is "collectible".  I'm not even sure if you use the boxed edition that you could still register the license on the MS servers anymore.  It's been so long since I used the boxed edition on my rig, I guess my disc, sans the box and manual, is my little piece of collectibility (sitting with SimCity 4 and Hexen discs).  Perhaps another reason is that since it's no longer made by MS and supported, that those selling it, can charge whatever they want.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

What sort of reasons were you given?  Most likely that since Microsoft is no longer attached to the sim, it is "collectible".  I'm not even sure if you use the boxed edition that you could still register the license on the MS servers anymore.  It's been so long since I used the boxed edition on my rig, I guess my disc, sans the box and manual, is my little piece of collectibility (sitting with SimCity 4 and Hexen discs).  Perhaps another reason is that since it's no longer made by MS and supported, that those selling it, can charge whatever they want.

Mostly that of "collectors item"....but to pay that amount!!

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Collectors Item seems to make the most sense.  If anyone wants FSX, they're better off with the Steam Edition, as they can get support and as you say, a recompiled version.  Since I have both, I would rate the SE much better.

Anyone want my copy of the boxed edition?  Only $30,000.  :lol:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I'm not even sure if you use the boxed edition that you could still register the license on the MS servers anymore.

Yes, registration still works. I registered FSX Gold on a new WIn 10 install a few weeks ago.

I think these boxed prices and the sales numbers for FSX:SE show what a successful product FSX has been. Really quite incredible longevity for a product that was abandoned nearly 10 years ago.

Although there are very few compatibility issues with SE, some older unmaintained FSX addons don't work (FSRecorder for example, and some users report problems with the PMDG J41), so compatibility might also be a cause of high prices for the boxed versions. Also, the deluxe DVD that comes with Gold includes the SDK which may be important for some people.

Barry Friedman

So why don't you put yours up for sale at half price and still make a pretty penny! :P

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I have 3 unopened, sealed boxes! My friends weren't interested at the time so I kept them intact...

Peter Webber

Also, the deluxe DVD that comes with Gold includes the SDK which may be important for some people.

Since the P3D v1.x SDK is free for anyone to download, and is functionally identical to the FSX SDK, that "benefit" to the FSX Gold Edition is dubious at best.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Since the P3D v1.x SDK is free for anyone to download, and is functionally identical to the FSX SDK, that "benefit" to the FSX Gold Edition is dubious at best.

True. However many of those buyers of the boxed version may not know that.  :wink:

Barry Friedman

This is a great mystery. Even now a lot of theories but no resolution....

Peter Webber

Speculators and gougers, that's all.

I've got a boy who has been interested in nothing but Legos his whole life and the same thing goes on in that world.  Once Lego stops making a product its price on the 'grey market' increases astronomically.

I've been tempted to 'buy-and-hold' unopened products myself, but that would be futile until my boy is no longer interested in them.

Richard P. Kelly

It's just simple free economics.

Supply and demand, though I'm not sure where there is much demand... but there's obviously a small supply.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

If I only kept my Big Jim GI Joe dolls from back in the 70s too. Yes things become collectable over time. I guess even an unopened FSX has value too

Matthew Kane