Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Night Lighting

Ditto.  I just upgraded to 3.3.5 and for the first time used PTA.  As far as I can tell, works fine.

May I also say Thank you so much for your hard work on this!!!  With this tool, now I think the only advantages XPlane has over P3D is 64-bit and night lighting.  Just amazing!!!!

For now Chris Bell Black Marble lighting for entire world is in development and looks awesome

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

For now Chris Bell Black Marble lighting for entire world is in development and looks awesome

Yeah, I've seen that too.  I'm hopeful as well about this product.  But, even still, I think X-Plane will still have the slight edge due to just the way lighting works more like the real world than in FSX/P3D.  In X-Plane, light is something that shines on things and those things react to that light.  In FSX/P3D, it's just textures changing, more or less.  Right?  At least that's my feeling on the difference between the two.  So unless Chris is/can do something new in regards to the way the lighting system works, I think X-Plane will still have the edge.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

we already brought volumetric lightning to all platforms!

the only thing keeping us from fully running all our light as volumetric is current 32bit limted VAS space,

if we were not limited by this we would be running all light full 3D volumetric out of the box as default config,

at the moment it is an option to use volumetric lighting with our system,

(its an option we offer if you have VAS to spare or if the area is not crazy dense)

as shown below; compare left (yellow non volumetric) line of lights to the right orange street lights show with Volumetric lighting,

these are naturally aspired with no added bloom!!! (enlarge so you can clearly see volume lighting there!)

Moscow.jpg.15eec97d872c9bc7d783b17ded17b

• Upvote 1

Oh man looks great - cant wait for this - good times ahead - was a bit shaky but P3D 3.5 seems very nice so far - well done Chris  :dance:

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Thank you Rich :)

among the 24 different (and not in size!!!) all NEWLY!!! developed light libraries Black Marble comes with;

we included two full sets (set = 4 different colors) of different volumetric styles!

Edited by Chris Bell
  • Upvote 1

thought it would be better to split this thread out rather than hijack the PTA thread.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

thought it would be better to split this thread out rather than hijack the PTA thread.

Vic

Nice Vic

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Vic

Thanks Vic,

was just being informative there; no hijack plans :)

This is the missing piece for all regions where I do not have Night Environment...

Ready to purchase when ready.

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

What is the VAS/performance hit of volumetric lights?  I've seen that the performance hit of the regions isn't small.  I'm hoping that they come in different sizes as well.  I tend to use the smallest possible.  Any P3D 3.x installers for the regions yet?

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Thank you Rich :)

among the 25 different (and not in size!!!) all NEWLY!!! developed light libraries Black Marble comes with;

we included two full sets (set = 4 different colors) of different volumetric styles!

Just an instant purchase Chris looks like great work :-)

• Upvote 1

André

Thank you guys,

What is the VAS/performance hit of volumetric lights?  I've seen that the performance hit of the regions isn't small.

that is correct Greg, volumetric lighting is a far more complex model to render then a none volumetirc model,
lights layout is 100% modular, from distance to size, color, and shape, mixing volumetric in the grid is hardly noticeable with Black Marble,

with that said we learn new things everyday; all our new lights models been redesigned from scratch using every possible advantage we know,
the result are volumetric light models that practically acts like a normal 3D light with very little overhead in comparison,

physical size of 3D light bawls is something you can set via our GUI; you can scale up or down any light up to 3 time its original size,
thats why i emphasis that the difference isn't in size! when i say 24 new light models... they are different model each you can resize as you see fit,

Any P3D 3.x installers for the regions yet?

not yet,

i cant be too specific atm, something is coming through the pipeline!

if all goes as planned; something will come up in matter of days!!!

With BM will we have the ability to have the lights but if VAS is an issue have something other than the volumetric model sets?

• Upvote 1

Eric 

Hi Eric,

YES! you will have 24 different light models to choose from! 2 of the sets (set=4) are volumetric lighting,

the rest (16) are "simple" 3D bawls in different colors and shapes,

you can select any light model you want to use with each road class you set,

further more you can mix in the same class random colors or shapes you pre-assign,

Hi Eric,

YES! you will have 24 different light models to choose from! 2 of the sets (set=4) are volumetric lighting,

the rest (16) are "simple" 3D bawls in different colors and shapes,

you can select any light model you want to use with each road class you set,

further more you can mix in the same class random colors or shapes you pre-assign,

Chris, will the distance thery are able to be seen be the same as in your regional packs or will they be limited to LOD radius?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024