Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Night Lighting

physical size of 3D light bawls is something you can set via our GUI; you can scale up or down any light up to 3 time its original size,
thats why i emphasis that the difference isn't in size! when i say 24 new light models... they are different model each you can resize as you see fit,

I'll be curious about the 3D, though...not sure if it'll perform well.  With lighting it seems like I'm *always* trying to make the bulbs smaller and I hope the street lights are down in the trees. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Chris, will the distance thery are able to be seen be the same as in your regional packs or will they be limited to LOD radius?

Hi Kevin,

its the same as with any landclass elements; LOD's are bound to LOD Radius Slider,

we also use proprietary elements that are not bound to landclass radius to help blend smoother your horizon,

ultimately NE's 60Nm Radius is something only NE brings in that department (few other elements as well),

platform developers reserve this ability for library objects only atm,

with Black Marble your NET radius is currently max 12Nm!

that radius is for LandClass 3D lighting only!

other elements we use in the mix extend 12Nm further,

I'll be curious about the 3D, though...not sure if it'll perform well.

im glad to hear that skepticism in your voice Greg; im actually smiling as im reading,

id love it if you can record your first WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW when Black Marble loads for the first time :)

BTW... that pic i posted on the other page is a random spot in Moscow,

With lighting it seems like I'm *always* trying to make the bulbs smaller

our lights? are you sure?

I hope the street lights are down in the trees.

again... our lights? are you 100% sure?

again... our lights? are you 100% sure?

I honestly can't remember if your streetlights are down in the trees.  I haven't loaded them in 3.x yet.  They should be, though, right?  Trees are usually taller than streetlights.  In terms of size of the bulb, it's a fine line.  Lighting is a subtle art, right?  The real bulbs are, perhaps a foot wide.  With some lights I've seen down by the airport in the sim they're absolutely HUUUGE.  When you get up in the air they seem bright...perhaps the halo too large.  Again, I don't have NE loaded so I can't remember any more...still waiting patiently for those installers.  :)  BTW, here's a good RW example video with 6 miles vis that captures the subtleties...

I could watch these night flights all day.  :)

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I honestly can't remember if your streetlights are down in the trees.  I haven't loaded them in 3.x yet.  They should be, though, right?

that would be wrong Gregg!

you're confusing our work with another publisher's work :)

as for trees; some are taller some are shorter,

lights should be positions no more then 15-20m above ground depends on their class and application,

as you go with height above ground; the bigger the 3D bawl needs to be to comply with real world visuals,

that would be wrong Gregg!
you're confusing our work with another publisher's work :)

Ah, well, that's very possible.  It's been a good while since I've seen them....ahem.  :P 

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

Hey there,

please have mercy on me if this is not the right thread: As far as I get it, there is night textures and night lights. Both kick in at a given time, like 10pm in summer. Is there a way to have them kick in earlier? And may be have the lights already enabled at 8pm and textures following at 10pm? Is this something add ons can do for me in P3D? Another thought I had was to have night lights running depending on sunlight, not time - any add ons?

2 very dark screen shots following - lights are missing.
2016-12-27_14-29-36-29.jpg

2016-12-27_13-56-43-598.jpg

there is a way to set light to come in or out at a specific time, there is also a way to toggle lights on or off with hot keys,

unfortunately night enthronement doesn't offer these functions with our system, reason being...

in order to have individually timed light one must use FX type model instead of a library models,

this limits distance, VAS and many other functionalities sacrificed ,

the biggest is... all FX model are not 3D model, FX only offers 2D modeling!

the visuals rendered by Night Environment cannot be achieved using FX model!

i hope this answers your question there,

Hmmmm p3d 64 bit does not seem to be too far away.

Think ill keep my wallet in my pocket.

there is a way to set light to come in or out at a specific time, there is also a way to toggle lights on or off with hot keys,

unfortunately night enthronement doesn't offer these functions with our system, reason being...

thanks! Well is there then no solution? No way to have lights at dusk and down allready? I love flying at those times but it never looks real when it comes to lights.

Look at that screen, its 5am summertime at LOWS:

2017-1-3_18-19-44-383.jpg

Look at that screen, its 5am summertime at LOWS:

That doesn't seem right.  Lights should be on.  What happens if you roll back the time an hour...are they on?

Gregg Seipp

What happens if you roll back the time an hour...are they on?

yes then their is light in a a small radius and some "glowing" buildings:

2017-1-4_12-9-59-115.jpg

Well, folks...after a couple weeks of being away from P3d because of work and other distractions, I finally got a chance to get back to my "night fires" problems.  I am happy to report that PTA - along with picking the correct night lighting - pretty much solved the problem!  I have seen some screenshots that look better than what I have; but this is a huge improvement from what I had earlier.  It is kind of a pain to experiment in PTA over and over - but it has such a great selection of options that eventually everything looks amazing.

So thanks for all the earlier suggestions.  I can now do night flying again; and not land at dusk!  :-)

Ron

So, it looks good. But, in all honesty, nothing that blows away what we don't already have from orbx. Although I guess this product will be for the planet then? But still, what about from altitude? All the night lighting options look fine from low altitude. What about up high? How far away can you see cities? Is the lighting limited to the populated areas only or do you see "spider webs" of interconnected roads all over unlike real life? Right now, in orbx and in your own NE series, we see all major highways lit up for as far as is allowed to be viewable. In real life, at least here in the states, when you get away from major population areas, the highways aren't lit.

Anyway, might still be hoping for the impossible yet in a flight sim. I don't know. But I'm also just not seeing anything earth shatteringly different here either. Maybe I'm missing it and need to look again and/or see side by side with what I have now in orbx. No offense of course. Just my initial reaction.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

So, it looks good. But, in all honesty, nothing that blows away what we don't already have from orbx. Although I guess this product will be for the planet then? But still, what about from altitude? All the night lighting options look fine from low altitude. What about up high? How far away can you see cities? Is the lighting limited to the populated areas only or do you see "spider webs" of interconnected roads all over unlike real life? Right now, in orbx and in your own NE series, we see all major highways lit up for as far as is allowed to be viewable. In real life, at least here in the states, when you get away from major population areas, the highways aren't lit.

Anyway, might still be hoping for the impossible yet in a flight sim. I don't know. But I'm also just not seeing anything earth shatteringly different here either. Maybe I'm missing it and need to look again and/or see side by side with what I have now in orbx. No offense of course. Just my initial reaction.

True, but, unless you're talking about lights where there are none in real life (like back roads) that's a function of 1) visibility 2) atmospheric shimmer and blurring.  Visibility has come a long way with both AS and PTA.  Nohing on the shimmer and blurring yet, though, I'm hopeful that a shader will come along.  I do agree that, as I see the sim right now, distant lights tend to be much too bright in the distance.

Gregg Seipp