Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

i5 6600k or i7 6700k for FSX

Hi,

Just. Wanted to get an opinion on if I should get the latest i5 or i7. The build will be used purely for FSX.

I have read multi threading does not offer performance improvement, and a lot of OC's have it disabled.

The motherboard will be gigabyte gaming 7 (open to a recommendation on that too), and I would also look to over clock the CPU. In that respect, which CPU would offer the best over clock.

I would like to get your views before committing to the purchase.

Thanks

I went for the 6700K, I don't sim much these days though, mostly games.

I believe the 6700K overclock's a bit higher, but then if you ask yourself what that slightly higher overclock translates to in term of frames per second, it's not much. 4.6-4.8 for the 6700K dependant on the silicone lottery.

My system isn't built yet.

I went for the Asus Z170-A, seems to be a great MB. Great price and all the features I need. UEFI is excellent, and very good bundled software. BIOS seems to be a bit more stable that the more complex Asus Z170 boards.

If you were going to put the two CPU's head to head, then it would be too close to call. If you intend to disable HT, then I see no reason why you wouldn't be happy with the 6600K.

Not sure what other components you have in mind but I recommend the following...

I went for:

Enermax Platimax 850 PSU. Mulit-rail rather than single rail, safer.

EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified, but no doubt you're considering the 1080 now it's released. If so, wait for the non-reference designs, available very soon.

GSkill Ripjaw V 3200. GSkill have done a fantastic job with these modules. Trident Z too. Specifically optimised for Skylake.

Asus Z170-A.

1TB Samsung 850 Evo. 

U.2 and M.2 to consider of course, if funds permit. Although you won't perceive a huge improvement over a conventional SSD in everyday use.

Hi,

Just. Wanted to get an opinion on if I should get the latest i5 or i7. The build will be used purely for FSX.

I have read multi threading does not offer performance improvement, and a lot of OC's have it disabled.

The motherboard will be gigabyte gaming 7 (open to a recommendation on that too), and I would also look to over clock the CPU. In that respect, which CPU would offer the best over clock.

I would like to get your views before committing to the purchase.

Thanks

If the machine is just going to be FSX, then I wouldnt really care whether i5 or i7, just OC the i5 and you`ll be golden. If you are going ham on the machine, for other items, need to list those before anyone can definitively say i5 v i7

If the machine is just going to be FSX, then I wouldnt really care whether i5 or i7, just OC the i5 and you`ll be golden. If you are going ham on the machine, for other items, need to list those before anyone can definitively say i5 v i7

Yeah - this machine is purely for FSX.

Maybe P3D, if they go 64bit.

Yeah - this machine is purely for FSX.

Maybe P3D, if they go 64bit.

If your not using it for any modern titles outside of flightsim, then my advice still stands. Video editing, or anything thats multithreaded (start from 6700K), 3-way SLI might want to look at the HEDT options like 5820K or 68xx series 

If your not using it for any modern titles outside of flightsim, then my advice still stands. Video editing, or anything thats multithreaded (start from 6700K), 3-way SLI might want to look at the HEDT options like 5820K or 68xx series

Will the 6600k OC as well as the 6700k ?, like to maybe 4.5 or 4.6 GHz ?.

From the information I've been able to gather, the 6600 with OC at 4.6 with adequate cooling.  I run the 6600 so far just at stock speeds.  With a GTX970 I can run orbx regions with ASN, moderate settings and hold 30 fps in crap weather.  With better weather or outside orbx regions I'm usually seeing 50+ fps.  

I know that fps is very subjective and heavily dependent on add ons and weather but thus far I've been very happy with my 6600 at stock speeds.  I've been meaning to OC but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I'm only going to go for a mild OC but from what I've been reading many are getting 4.6. 

thats the silicon lottery more then anything. Some i5s will OC better then the i7s and even amongst themselves. Try it, with one of those onboard utilities to see how far can you go baseline. 

I have a 6600K and its OC to 4.6, had it up to 4.7 but was getting a bit hot. best bang for your p3d buck along with a 980gtx. 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

In a word, yes. If you have adequate cooling, the 6700K will achieve anywhere between 4.6 and 4.8 GHz. In fact Skylake has been very consistent.

For the 6600K then generally they clock "slightly" lower, but not much. 4.5-4.6 should be comfortably achieved.