Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Looking for people to share cockpit with

Hey, guys and girls :) I'm a 38 years old man from Norway who have a passion for most things aviation related. I have been flight-simming for around 10 years. I'm looking for mature people who share my passion that would also like to share cockpit and do some short to medium hops to various interesting airports. I dont have any experience with cockpit sharing, but maybe you do. If you dont, we can probably find out of it together. Let me know! :)

I'm on prepar3d v 3.2.3. I guess the most interesting airplane to share is Aerosoft's A32x-A31x, or Majestic dash8, but I'm open to suggestions.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I'm pretty new at it myself so I'll just point you to the two resources I know about right now so you can get started.  This is the link to the Online Virtual Pilot's Association managed by Dave Hodges.  He's very active in shared cockpit and has been showing me the ropes lately.  The group's focus is on shared cockpit.

http://ovpa1.webs.com/

This is the Avsim Forum, also managed by Dave...

http://www.avsim.com/forum/195-shared-cockpits-multi-player-forum-for-fsx-fsx-se-p3d/

Hope it helps!

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I'm looking for mature people who share my passion that would also like to share cockpit and do some short to medium hops to various interesting airports. I dont have any experience with cockpit sharing, but maybe you do. If you dont, we can probably find out of it together. Let me know! :)

I would love to share a cockpit....BUT...I am verrrry Leary of security problems...i.e. transmission of malware...which I know is the core concern of the OVPA. http://ovpa1.webs.com/

IF, after reading the rather serious security precautions of the OVPA, AND agreeing with them, AND are willing to adhere to their Computer Security recommendations, you still want to try sharing cockpits, I am your guy!

I am champing at the bit to try shared cockpit!

Message me...since personal info is not allowed in the forums.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

+1 I am Italian but talk English  and other language, I have lived in Oslo for more then a year;

Flying in Norway it's very fun I got also Orbx to add more immersion got Oslo v2 and have Q400+A318/A320.

Now the problem rise to connect between each other where the only way I found out is to use Hamachi but I don't like it as it's very dangerous.

+1 I am Italian...

Now the problem rise to connect between each other where the only way I found out is to use Hamachi but I don't like it as it's very dangerous.

Hamachi is expressly forbidden by the OVPA!

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Tunneling, such as used by Hamachi will essentially bypass a good deal of the computer security that one has in place, however for some people who's ISPs inhibit Port Forwarding (this happens with several large German ISPs) there is really very little option than to use tunneling.

If you HAVE to tunnel through your firewall, I recommend at least trying something like Simple Port Forwarding App rather than using Hamachi.  Man, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hesitate to say that openly, because I know what will happen. Those who CAN use Port Forwarding but believe that Port Forwarding is difficult or mystical will use that program instead actually forwarding their ports.  But the cat will get out of the bag sooner or later, so there it is.

The absolutely BEST thing anyone can do to ensure they don't receive Malware during a Shared Cockpit session is to ensure the other person has a good Anti-virus, they have updated it, performed a recent scan and resolved any issues.  That is 80% of the battle, if not 90%.

If I were operating shared cockpit with the public, I would have no problem flying shared cockpit with someone who used Simple Port Forwarding and could show me their system was clean (with a good antivirus).  Check my guide for a link to the Lab with the anti-virus ratings (updated regularly).

Best wishes to everyone.

By the way... OVPA is going to open it's voice server to everyone who wants to fly shared cockpit. It's a TERRIFIC meetings place, and I recommend people hang out there when looking for a shared cockpit flight or when they just want to talk about flight sim.  Please, use good manners on our voice server

Note:  OVPA is on summer break so activity is not that great at the moment, but if you've hang out you're bound to run into some goo people with the same interests.

Right now we use Ventrilo because the quality is equal to TeamSpeak for a LOT less bandwidth (which is important for shared cockpit for those with slower internet connections). 

Go to the OVPA Webpage and download the Voice Sever Setup Guide from the bottom of the page.

Enjoy!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi Dave,

We follow your guide through OVPA and all went smooth without trouble, the only thing that we can't do is talk to ATC both off us and also one of can't add miles and point LoL.

Thank for your time, and contribution.

Fabrizio

You're most welcome.

What exactly is the problem talking with ATC?  There shouldn't be any trouble with that (VATSIM/IVAO).

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

One get connected with Vpilot with normal call sign and the other with same callsign+A in OBS mode.

The second unfortunately can't talk to ATC.

HAVE to tunnel through your firewall, I recommend at least trying something like Simple Port Forwarding App rather than using Hamachi.  Man, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hesitate to say that openly, because I know what will happen. Those who CAN use Port Forwarding but believe that Port Forwarding is difficult or mystical will use that program instead actually forwarding their ports.  But the cat will get out of the bag sooner or later, so there it is.

Dave, since the cat is out of the bag, may I confirm that the site "contains" The following words:

"simpleportforwarding" ?

Also… Since I don't like lingering contratemps … I may have at some point invoked your Enmity for something I said on Avsim....

To clear the air, I hereby publicly apologize for anything from which you may have taken exception or caused you to feel that I was attacking you personally.

That was not my intention, and I ask what your forgiveness....

...He11, that also applies to everyone I may have pi55ed off in my previous 800 posts...

:-)

Regards,

ChaS

No problem Chas.

Yes, the application name is Simple Port Forward.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

What software are you guys using for shared cockpit? Are more add-ons supporting it now?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Use of any third party software for establishing a connection is strongly discouraged, and I believe most if not all the folks here only use the recommended method (Port Forwarding).

While there are developers working on shared cockpit capable aircraft (the next release will likely be the TFDi Design B717), there have been no new releases of shared cockpit capable aircraft this year.

SHARED COCKPIT CAPABLE AIRLINERS (With Virtual Cockpit)

FSX

Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Pro

Aerosoft Airbus X A318/A319/A320/A321

Leonardo Maddog MD-80 Pro

P3D

Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Pro

Aerosoft Airbus X A318/A319/A320/A321

Leonardo Maddog MD-80 Pro

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

As Dave said, there are several addon airplanes that support shared cockpit in p3d at the moment. I only have two of them, being Aerosoft Airbus 318-321 and the Majestic -8 Q400. Both work well, although I find that the airbus is prone to connectivity issues resulting in asynchronization. I have less experience with the Dash 8, but so far it seems to be more stabile and more sturdy in the connectivity department.

I'm also investigating shared cockpit in Xplane 10, which hasn't really been mentioned much around here or at OVPA (unless I missed it). Search for shared cockpit xplane on youtube.

And finally: I'm still looking for more people to share cockpit with, so please do leave me a pm or reply here so we can get in contact. I am currently trying to adhere to the OVPA security regulations, so I prefer to use the port forwarding method even though it can be a little bit of a pain to set up.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78