Sign in to follow this  
JET 1

Full Screen or Windowed Mode?

Guest jscharpf

I know this might be a question that will cause alot of discussion, but I'm just wondering if either one of these modes is better regarding frame rates, etc..I like full screen mode because it seems "fuller", but windowed mode allows me to see pop up windows better (when using SB3 the box doesn't always disappear).Anyway I'm just looking for opinions and what everyones experience is and what they're preferences are.Jeff

Guest ha5mvo

I'm 100% with you Jim. No comparison as far as immersion is concerned.//Michael

Guest jscharpf

Ok Full screen it is then! Thanks!JEff

Guest Drake34

Definatly full screen."A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting."Don MullinsNiceville, FL.

Guest Gordius

Windowed. Like you I fly online, for me that means pretty much whenever I fly although with IVAO I don't have to use squawkbox.Reason. While flying I sit in on AVSIM chat, check weather, keep an eye on which ATC is online, etc etc etc.Andrew BrownROARING THIRTIEShttp://www.gordiusfs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Windowed.For the same reasons as Andrew.Like to do other things while en-route.My FS window usually only takes up about 4/5ths of the screen area allowing me to access other programs while flying etc.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Full Screen - I believe that DirectX H&L renders only partially in windowed mode.

Guest ThrottleUp

I get a *MASSIVE* performance jump in fullscreen mode. Its something I discovered quite by accident. I was fed up of a slideshow each time I looked left or right (wingview) while taxiing or flying so I jumped to flullscreen view and...whoa! Silky-smooth flying...even in high-stress areas like addon airports full of killer GMAX buildings or loads of clouds...it just flows. Its like I have a whole new gaming machine. I cant understand how this works but it does and Im sold on fullscreen now!Yes its a bit a of a nuisance if you like doing other stuff while simming...browsing the web etc. because the taskbar is hidden and all that but its just one press of the Windows key and its all sorted! And you find yourself changing settings in FS9 incredibly fast because you find yourself using keyboard shortcuts instead of the plodding mouse!

Guest jscharpf

Interestingly, when using FS2002 the windowed mode was always faster for me. So I would jump to windowed mode whenever I needed more frame rates (busy airport, etc.).With FS9 I haven't noticed a big difference but full screen just seems to look better.Anyway, thanks for all the input!Jeff

Full screen. However I've always wondered why menu operation is very slow when in full screen. When I press alt to access the top bar menus there is a 2-5 second delay before they open. Does not happen in windowed mode.

No diff in performance for me. I prefer Windowed so that I can access other stuff as needed on occasional long flights. I don't like the fact you can't hit the ALT key (without interfering with FS) in Full Scrn mode which is a problem since I use the ALT key in hot keys.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

First - two monitors is the way to go.I find that my performance varies by aircraft I fly. Been flying the DC-3 for the World Rally lately - and I have to fly it in full screen on my main monitor to maintain good frame rates - but my FSD Commander or Wilco/Feel There CRJ or Flight 1 Pilatus PC-12 gets better FPS in windowed mode.I do use my 19" flat screen for flying - and stick everything else, including throttle and radio panel and FSNav over on the 17" CRT.My windowed mode is a window which completely fills my main screen.I just find it interesting the difference in aricraft some are so much better in the full screen mode and some are better in the windowed mode.

Guest ThrottleUp

-----------------------------------------------However I've always wondered why menu operationis very slow when in full screen. When I pressalt to access the top bar menus there is a 2-5 second delay before they open. Does nothappen in windowed mode.-----------------------------------------------Yea that happens to me too - but you do not have to wait for the menu to appear. Just type in the keystrokes rapidly (as if you are typing a word) and you get to the menu-item you want very fast.For example press ALT and then rapidly type: oed....and you are in the Display settings before you can blink :) Once you know all the shortcuts you wont touch the mouse (even in Windowed mode)Unfortunately there are no keyboard shortcuts for *all* the menu items.

>Yea that happens to me too - but you do not have to wait for>the menu to appear. Just type in the keystrokes rapidly (as if>you are typing a word) and you get to the menu-item you want>very fast.Yes, I do this also. But the slight delay is still there. I wonder if it's Windows or FS related..