Sign in to follow this  
Desaix

Flightsimcon 2016...any news on Austin Meyer's speech?

The OSM data they are using is for building heights. That shouldn't make recut necessary? In my mind why not just have it as a separate data source for that layer.

Good question ... a few months ago I did that data extract for Ben for his experiments (and some "clean up" in OSM, as there were a bunch of totally whacky heights in OSM ... like people tagging the height with house number ... which can be extreme in some cases).

But I can't tell you if he wanted it to be an additional data layer (then it could be added independently from existing DSFs) or as part of the DSF scenery (well, this latter would be easy ... as this "tech" would be nothing new for DSF scenery ... but would need a re-cut).

Did they mention anything about VR? It would be a shame if they aren't developing XP 11 with VR in mind.

Austin said the had it working internally a few times but it broke whenever they updated the SDK. It is definitely on the drawing board. I asked the Flyinside people if they were considering Xplane too and he said yes in the future.

No changes on weather system is a big disappointment. I hope they just kept something for later announcement because looking at REX news for other platform we risk to stay several steps behind.

Weather depiction and trees looking is what should be improved for sightseeing.

• Upvote 2

I'd not get this list as a definitive one, there's not even an hypothetical timeline.

IMHO is too early to (try to) understand what will be in XP11 and what not: good to know about those features listed by Austin, but nobody except Laminar knows their plans.

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

XP with PBR and ambient occlusion will just kill any other simulator graphics wise..

In terms of lightning and how objects will appear , it's what games like GTA V are using , XP looking like this is a dream comes true!

Everyone should be excited , even those who are on FSX/P3D , finally a simulator that is a true "Next gen".

Although they didn't talk about times , if they can show pictures it means it's in a very advanced development , so I think this will most likely be V11.

• Upvote 2

, but nobody except Laminar knows their plans.

And even they can't be certain what exactly will be ready when they release X-Plane 11.

It´s really ridiculous if people now start to think that everything that they don´t talk about right now won´t be a part of  X-Plane. If they show contents now it means that they feel pretty confident that these features will be a part of X-Plane 11.

I would think that they have a pretty good idea about their graphics, since I believe that htey currently try to get WED on the right track for X-Plane 11, so that they all genrate sceneries which are easily understood by X-Plane 11, before X-Plane 11 is released.

This was a big problem for X-Plane 10. The tools were far from ready..

It would be better if the tools are already present, before the release so they can see and check if the new features really work in the new renderer.

Anybody had the chance to hear him talking about XP future?

I wish I could have attended, here is a video from the Flightsimcon 2016 X-Plane presentation:

The bad cloud depiction and terrible performance in clouds are key areas that need improvement.

Cheers,

Jerome

• Upvote 8

And even they can't be certain what exactly will be ready when they release X-Plane 11.

Exactly!

I should have write "but nobody except Laminar knows their plans (maybe: things could change many times in the meantime).".

It´s really ridiculous if people now start to think that everything that they don´t talk about right now won´t be a part of  X-Plane. If they show contents now it means that they feel pretty confident that these features will be a part of X-Plane 11.

I would think that they have a pretty good idea about their graphics, since I believe that htey currently try to get WED on the right track for X-Plane 11, so that they all genrate sceneries which are easily understood by X-Plane 11, before X-Plane 11 is released.

This was a big problem for X-Plane 10. The tools were far from ready..

It would be better if the tools are already present, before the release so they can see and check if the new features really work in the new renderer.

I second all of that.

• Upvote 1

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

I wish I could have attended, here is a video from the Flightsimcon 2016 X-Plane presentation:

The bad cloud depiction and terrible performance in clouds are key areas that need improvement.

I saw the video, very interesting. The improvements should finally put X-Plane in line with FSX/P3D with regard to the rendering of some material/surface effects, and with regard to the basic features of the sound engine.

The new UI is very nice, and also the improvements in autogen and ATC already planned for 10.50 are welcomed.

In my opinion, the only other feature that presently is severely lacking is seasons. I'd be very disappointed if X-Plane 11 wouldn't have them.

From the video, the weather engine doesn't appear to have been changed for now, but of course nobody knows if they'll revise them for X-Plane 11. However, as in need of improvements as the weather engine is, I still think seasons have an even higher priority.

Now we only need an external flight model to plugin (I vote for JSBSim) and it'd be perfect. :wink:

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

XPL future looking and sounding on a whole new level.

• Upvote 1

Cheers,

Jerome

WOW, WOW, WOW !!! 10.50 is going to be a awesome update ! X-plane 11 is going to be epic !

I wonder if 10.50 or 11 is going to be the tipping point where we are going to see a lot of the FSX ADD-ON developers start to port their stuff over ?

Exciting times for X-Plane !!!

• Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Thanks for posting the video - it was exciting to watch it and I found myself clapping at stuff while I was sitting in front of my computer all by myself :smile: .

Very excited about the new features, love the new GUI and the new sound system!

Yeah, seasons and weather engine... I guess global winds is a step in the right direction, I would be surprised if there is really much more to come in Version 10. I know they have plans for that stuff, but just like the scenery, they seem to prefer to do the "rather do it right and thoroughly than quick and dirty" approach. I wouldn´t be surprised to see dynamic snow and vegetation change, all correct for date, location and adjusted for current temperature and precipitation at some point in time. Some distant point in time...

Jan

I remember Ben talking about dynamic snow and how it would be a better approach then having to repaint new textures for all the seasons. Besides they wont have anything to sell you in 12 !

• Upvote 2

Eric Escobar

Just joining the chorus here about weather and seasons.

All the new eye candy coming up for airplane appearance is nice, but I'd be happy with the current version if we just had a much better weather engine and seasonal terrain. I'm tired of flying over Alaska and having it look like Summer all the time. I'm tired of not seeing realistic CB's in the sim. 

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Just joining the chorus here about weather and seasons.

All the new eye candy coming up for airplane appearance is nice, but I'd be happy with the current version if we just had a much better weather engine and seasonal terrain. I'm tired of flying over Alaska and having it look like Summer all the time. I'm tired of not seeing realistic CB's in the sim. 

Sounds like you need some sleep ! lol...The code is in 10 for seasons but I think they are leaving that up to the ADD-ON developers.

I like to see CB's too !

You should shoot Austin a email with feature requests, he does read his emails and he replies most times !

Eric Escobar