Sign in to follow this  
Desaix

Flightsimcon 2016...any news on Austin Meyer's speech?

Better than default XP? Sure, but not better than with addons, maybe depending on the scenario.

Aren't you setting sort of a low bar here?

We are in a thread talking about all the great future X-Plane stuff and not a single word has been uttered by Laminar about the absolutely abysmal weather rendering & depiction...all in a Sim that likes to fancy itself as more realistic and useful for training than other options.

It's a MASSIVE hole in the X-Plane game and it's not about eye candy. It's super relevant to actual training and simulation purposes.

• Upvote 1

Aren't you setting sort of a low bar here?

We are in a thread talking about all the great future X-Plane stuff and not a single word has been uttered by Laminar about the absolutely abysmal weather rendering & depiction...all in a Sim that likes to fancy itself as more realistic and useful for training than other options.

It's a MASSIVE hole in the X-Plane game and it's not about eye candy. It's super relevant to actual training and simulation purposes.

I don't have PD3 or FSX installed on my system anymore. But if I remember correctly as you would fly into and out of the clouds they would rotate and spin unrealistically. SkymaxPro clouds look pretty sweet ! I actually prefer the XPX default clouds when practicing IFR approaches. I like the white out ! And the feeling of flying in and out of the clouds. I would love to see default Towering Cumulonimbus clouds !

Lets keep in mind that we don't know exactly what the full features of XPX-11 is going to be. What we got a preview of yesterday is what his employees are working on. Austin is the weather guy. So he probably hasn't gotten around to tackling that yet. I am sure his a busy guy with all of his other endeavors, patent trolls, xavion, etc.... 

• Upvote 4

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Austin just needs to create a couple more of weather datarefs and, above all, create better, broader hooks for 3pds to create their own weather injectors.

Then, maybe we can finally see HFITech look at it :-)

I have used just about every combination of rendering and injection for X-Plane and for me, I still prefer the default rendering, maybe with some mods ( freeware ) and the NOAA plugin when using it standalone. Since I use it with PSX, I use PSX's own weather generator, and I get, from an IMC pov, better results than with P3d.

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks for sharing the video

It's great to see next-gen technology finally appearing in X-Plane. I'm definitely excited for the future of this platform

Austin just needs to create a couple more of weather datarefs and, above all, create better, broader hooks for 3pds to create their own weather injectors.

Then, maybe we can finally see HFITech look at it :-)

I have used just about every combination of rendering and injection for X-Plane and for me, I still prefer the default rendering, maybe with some mods ( freeware ) and the NOAA plugin when using it standalone. Since I use it with PSX, I use PSX's own weather generator, and I get, from an IMC pov, better results than with P3d.

Add winds and turbulence aloft coming this week, with Joan's NOAA plugin, Aerosoft clouds and we should see some interesting weather effects.

I think this will pretty much wrap up development of X-Plane 10.

Oh... and maybe I'm just getting my hopes up, but in the presentation section about WED and 10.50, I heard the word T-hangers pop up a few times. As someone who builds scenery only for the gateway, I'm going to cross my fingers and hope we get some new assets to build small airports with in 10.50!! Since I'm already going to have the incentive to go back into all of my older airports to revise the parking locations, maybe I'll be able to change out some hangers as well.

Unfortunately, you should not get your hopes up for 10.50; HOWEVER, I am moonlighting for Laminar once again on the scenery library.  I did the original and have now been asked to "add some more" (Not like I didn't know it needed it)...so I am taking note of what folks have been asking for, and T-hangars are indeed on the list (have a picture of something you'd like?).  I can't say what will make it into 10.50 as I haven't been involved until just recently, but I don't think there is anything new as I don't see anything new in the developer files.  It is possible though that the default library could be updated well before V11.  We'll see once I get rolling.

-tkyler

• Upvote 1

I don't have PD3 or FSX installed on my system anymore. But if I remember correctly as you would fly into and out of the clouds they would rotate and spin unrealistically. SkymaxPro clouds look pretty sweet ! I actually prefer the XPX default clouds when practicing IFR approaches. I like the white out ! And the feeling of flying in and out of the clouds. I would love to see default Towering Cumulonimbus clouds !

Lets keep in mind that we don't know exactly what the full features of XPX-11 is going to be. What we got a preview of yesterday is what his employees are working on. Austin is the weather guy. So he probably hasn't gotten around to tackling that yet. I am sure his a busy guy with all of his other endeavors, patent trolls, xavion, etc.... 

I have P3D and have never seen the clouds do what you are saying, in fact they look fantastic. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It looks like the 10.50 autogen is using OSM.. would that mean that it will do what world2xp does now? 

Stefan Ticusan

It looks like the 10.50 autogen is using OSM

The X-Plane 10 autogen since 10.0 has always used OSM - it's just that the authors' interpretation of the data was worse than what W2XP does (similar to X-Plane's default weather and Real Weather Connector). The third-party implementations are just greatly improved versions of the original, which has great potential.

...I did the original and have now been asked to "add some more"...

I wasn't aware you was involved before, as I always say there's always something new to learn!  :good:

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

I wasn't aware you was involved before, as I always say there's always something new to learn!  :good:

Yea, I have a multi-year history working for Laminar.  I did the initial mobile scenery way back when, some of the mobile aicraft, and for XP V10, I did the Beech Baron, King Air (but both have been improved for v10.50 by Jim Gregory)...the F22, F4 Phantom and airport scenery library.....most of the while working on the 737. About two years ago, I had some other opportunities that I felt necessary to take for the sake of my familiy and did so....but have since finished those endeavors and quite looking forward to working with Laminar again to improve the sim.

-tkyler

• Upvote 1

I knew about the MU-2 (acknowledged while reading the development progress of the 737) but nothing about the Laminar side, very interesting experience indeed!

P.S. sorry for the OT.

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

in fact they look fantastic. 

Vanilla clouds, or add-on?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Vanilla clouds, or add-on?

Texture Direct HD +soft clouds. and ASN. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Texture Direct HD +soft clouds. and ASN. 

and so P3D default clouds do rotate and spin unrealistically?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo