Sign in to follow this  
ALF1

Blue Screen After 15 minutes

I checked my temperatures using tech inferno on a flight that I was able to complete. The first two cores always ran hotter, with the second one the hottest peaking out at 75 celcius. I am sure that on other flights the scenery has been more demanding with more weather. My Haswell I4790K is OC'd to 4.8 GHZ with a core voltage of 1.40V using CPU-Z

I am going to work on updating my drivers like Jim suggested. I ran the system checker for corrupted or missing files and everything is up to date.

The first thing I'd do is get rid of the overclock, then work your way back up if you're stable.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Before I update the drivers, I want to show this. The second core always runs hotter than any. I was able to complete this flight however note that at 18:28 first three cores spiked at the same time, with the second at 79 celcius. I am nonw almost certain that it is one of these spikes above 80 that causes the BSOD. I want to mention also that the second core jumps from 49 to above 70 in the readings--there is no 50's or 60's in between while the others might be there. Why is this core running hotter ?

I also want to mention that I have absolutely no experience tinkering with overclock or the BIOS, and feel very uncomfortable doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

28880181310_c35c4592e7_o.pngCapture

Before I update the drivers, I want to show this. The second core always runs hotter than any. I was able to complete this flight however note that at 18:28 first three cores spiked at the same time, with the second at 79 celcius. I am nonw almost certain that it is one of these spikes above 80 that causes the BSOD. I want to mention also that the second core jumps from 49 to above 70 in the readings--there is no 50's or 60's in between while the others might be there. Why is this core running hotter ?

I also want to mention that I have absolutely no experience tinkering with overclock or the BIOS, and feel very uncomfortable doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

The Thermal Status shows OK everywhere.  So what's the problem?  Makes no difference if a core runs hotter than others.  It's still OK according to RealTemp.

Benchmark programs and RealTemp programs have been found to be unreliable by me.  I have ran them all when I had issues and they all passed with flying colors.  Then, I run FSX and it crashes.

So you have no idea how to overclock but you have the i7 4790K overclocked to 4.8GHz. (100 x 48).  So, how did you get it overclocked to 4.8 because that is not a normal overclock.  Any computer overclocked and especially up to 4.8 is subject to many issues.  It is difficult to overclock to 4.8 unless you know exactly how to set the CPU and vcore voltages.  So, since you have no experience tinkering with and overclock or the BIOS, an "expert" must have overclocked it for you.  You need to go into the BIOS (usually by hitting the DEL key or F2 key several times while the system is booting up), and reset the setting to Optimized Defaults.  Or you can go into the BIOS and change the 48 to a 42.  I recommend the optimized defaults.  Had I known you had your system overclocked to 4.8GHz earlier, I would have recommended this immediately.  Overclocks are bad if not done properly.  They will work for a month or two but it will eventually give you issues if not done properly.  I know this for a fact as it has happened to me on many occasions and returning it to optimized defaults fixes the problem every time. 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

:bad:Yes Jim  (SIGH!!) , I had it done from Cyberpower PC where I bought the computer. It came that way and has worked flawlessly for over 2 years now. I have been doing more reading and see that this is an abnormal overclock and this processor runs very hot. I also read that in all likelihood they used 22 celcius as ambient temperature for the OC, and I have been flying here at 26 celcius. So I turned up my air conditioner to get 22C ambient, separated my Tower from the wall some more, and surprisingly the same flight same weather and airplane with this ambient temp now yielded the following temperatures:

29091115461_265d17801f_o.pngCapture

Luckily no issues, but it is too early to tell for sure. I am sorry Jim if I made you waste your time, hopefully this thread will be a reference to other folks. If I have any more BSOD's I will report back after I change the overclock. But just wanted to show what a difference in core temperatures I obtained with the difference in ambient temperature and better breathing by the case.

P.S. I mentioned in post #9 the 4.8 GHZ overclock.

If you get another ntdll.dll crash or 0124 BSOD, I can say for almost certainty, it is the overclock that somehow got corrupted.  As I stated (and also in my CTD Guide), I have fixed the ntdll.dll error many times by lowering my OC or going back to the Optimal Defaults.  When I get a BSOD with the bugcheck code of 0124, I immediately know what caused it.  My overclock.  I'm not an expert at overclocking but playing with the BIOS is my forte'.  When I overclock, I search Google with a question like "how do you overclock an i7 4770K on ASUS z87" or something like that and I get JJ from ASUS giving me instructions on YouTube -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zPu9255ZI

So, if you run into problems again, I suggest you try that too.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, I got another BSOD so I took the courage up to access the BIOS and found the modification on "last modified" in July 2014, where I found this

28582089243_bc68d97809_k.jpgBIOS MOD

So I went ahead and only messed with two things: Instead of the 48 went down to 46, and in the manual core voltage brought it down from 1.40 to 1.30, and saved the changes so I now show this in Realtemp:

29124030081_1c3d054678.jpgCapture

Obviously I have the computer up and running with browser writing this but before I load it with FSX wanted to ask you if this wont break anything. If I get more BSOD's naturally my next step is to lower some more.

I watched the video you suggested and others, and learned that for each 100 MHz you bring down you can bring voltage down 0.05 so that is what I did.

More news, I fired up FSX and made what had thus far been an unforgiving flight to KSEA loaded with ORBX scenery and T2Gate KSEA. Sunshine and clear skies in Seatle this morning , but even as I approached the airport the highest temperature recorded with the new settings at 4.6 GHZ was only 69 Celcius, and no air conditioner in the room--about 26 Celcius ambient. The performance hit is a bit noticeable but with that scenery nothing is enough. If this runs stable for a good while I might try pumping up to 4.7 GHz and 1.35V, though I have seen from ASUS that there is almost no way to cool over 1.30V adequately.

Thank you Jim for pushing me to do this. I am gaining confidence.

28581280024_1d3c835846.jpgCapture

Thank you Jim for pushing me to do this. I am gaining confidence.

It's how I learned to tell others.  High overclocks like your 4.8GHz can sometimes become very unstable.  I have my OC down to 4.2 GHz and have seen no problems for a super long time and no ntdll.dll errors.  I personally do not see any performance improvements with major overclocking.  Just more frustrations.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

What's the PSU in your build?

People never look at this and in many cases they are the bottleneck in OC'ed systems.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

I have the same processor, and I've not had the courage to raise to 4.8 Ghz. I usually have 4.4 as a conservative overclock. No BSOD's in my setting.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

What's the PSU in your build?

People never look at this and in many cases they are the bottleneck in OC'ed systems.

I have a Corsair AX 850I.

I have lowered the Core voltage down to 1.20V and the system runs even cooler in FSX--no problems so far. temperatures don't go over 60 celcius. I have 4.6 GHz. I must have a good overclocker in this particular unit. As I lowered the voltage FSX seems to be running smoother at the same frequency but lower voltage.

I plan to fly with this setting for a very long time--a full month many flights in all kinds of weather. If it holds well, I might try bumping up a bit but I will never ever go over 1.30 volts again. I don't know what the heck they were thinking when they did that.

I have a Corsair AX 850I.

I have lowered the Core voltage down to 1.20V and the system runs even cooler in FSX--no problems so far. temperatures don't go over 60 celcius. I have 4.6 GHz. I must have a good overclocker in this particular unit. As I lowered the voltage FSX seems to be running smoother at the same frequency but lower voltage.

I plan to fly with this setting for a very long time--a full month many flights in all kinds of weather. If it holds well, I might try bumping up a bit but I will never ever go over 1.30 volts again. I don't know what the heck they were thinking when they did that.

My Devil's Canyon is stable @4.8 with 1.366

For FSX I'm running 4.5 @ 1.22 and see it a s a sweet spot to keep temps under 60 with my corsair liquid cooler.

Also you can try to slow your RAM when overclocking high. I know it sounds weird but I've read people reporting that 4.8+ overclocks on the 4790K's go BSOD with RAM at 1600+ but all goes stable when RAM is set to 1300. Might be a mobo issue too or a faulty batch as I'm at 1800 with my RAM and it's stable.

Anyway. 1.4 voltage will wear your CPU significantly faster according to tests. Anything over 1.35 is considered not so safe anymore.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Hey guys, I really appreciate the input from all of you gurus. Paul, it is nice to see those settings as they are my next step if my 4.6 with 1.20V yields more BSOD's....so far so good though.

Jim, I have downloaded and installed ALL driver updates available subscribing to Driver Agent. The only thing pending is the dreaded BIOS upgrade.

I finished the NVIdia upgrade to the 368 drivers, and wanted to share my settings since they yield a SWEET!!!! graphic presentation and very smooth. This with the GTX 780Ti. You have to enable anisotropic and antialiasing in the FSX graphics section.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KDuoWd]28647591664_cc74fd00bd_o.png