Sign in to follow this  
twgin

Autopilot disconnects...

What causes the autopilot to spontaneously disconnect (red light on the left illuminates) ?  In my case it won't stay on for more that 10 minutes and when it disconnects it throws the plane into a steep dive...  I am carefully trimming before engaging, using the big black knob to steer to a VOR course, and then setting to "localizer".    I have a force feedback yoke with trim switches assigned and also a Go-Flight module trim wheels; a noisy trim channel somewhere ?  Any suggestions on what to watch for or how to minimize this behavior ?

Thanks...

a noisy trim channel somewhere ?

Likely. Neutralize all trim axes before engaging, otherwise your controls will fight with XPL for control and the AP will eventually defer.

Kyle Rodgers

When mine disconnects the aircraft flies normally but I am unable to activate the AP for the rest of the flight. 

My attempt to re-activate includes:

Return selector to HDG mode.

Lower AP lever to the off position.

Turn ALT switch off

Gyro is already in the off position

Make sure aircraft is properly tirmed, flying normally then try to switch Gyro ON.  No luck, the switch will not move.  I also click Fix all failures with no result.

The plane flies great manually but on long hauls or rotten weather an AP would really be nice.

Looking forward to some help.

Dirob

Looking forward to some help.

If you have the buttons available, assign them to the pmdg custom keycommands for autopilot all ON and all OFF.  I found that resetting AP by placing all controls including mechanical connection to OFF then turning ALL ON... then for example if you only want gyropilot and not altitude you can turn off altitude.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank You downscc, I followed your suggestion.  When AP is functioning the all mode engage and all mode disengage work as expected.  Following abnormal AP shutdown, switching to APP mode from HDG mode kills it every time, engage and disengage do not function and only restarting aircraft will fix.

Simple fix, just stay current with updates.  VERSION v1.10.0044 did the job.