Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Carenado 350I King Air released beware

I've just watched the promo video and the engine gauges do not give accurate readings. At least FFlow values are bad at idle and ITT needles vs temp are also wrong.

Besides, a good indication of Torque-Vs-ITT  may be optained by trying to takeoff from El Alto, Bolivia in summer, 27 C temperature and aircraft 90 % loaded. If it is airborne then that relationship is not accurately modeled.

Tom

Thanks for that link....  I'll let the "expert" know who is lurking as a viewer in these threads that I previously wrote that 1520 ftlb was the limit (which is correct for the C90 GT/X!!).  And that I was less than 101.5 % in a climb and my engine failed.  I do not own the B350i.

p.s.  To the lurker - FLC is widely used on king airs - I've just confirmed it (again) with two good friends of mine - one flies the B350i and the other a C90 GT.  Have a nice day!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

liking that airport Rob...   which one is it, I might get it

FSDG Seychelles ... I had a friend that lived there for a while (many many years ago), unfortunately political problems (aka France Rene) forced him to leave and basically abandon his house.

Cheers, Rob.

Many thanks Ken, I am very well aware of  Carenado turboprop "limitations" what I experienced with their PC-12 (thankfuly, some enthusiastic customers improved that a lot).

I just wanted to know if there is any improvement with this knew product?

If not, I will wait for the Milviz version.

Tamas 

I was responding to another comment.

I have not purchased the B350i nor do I intend to. Carenado makes some visually stunning products and at least with their King Air 90, the FDE was very well done with only minor gripes. I am just not a fan of their version of a simplified Pro Line 21.

Based on what I have seen with the King Air 90 their FDE is fairly well worth it. I don't know who their FDE guy is, but he seems good at what he does. 

I am not sure about some of the comments on engine performance. There are a limitations with the FSX/P3D turboprop engine model that is platform wide. Somethings can never be fixed right unless you do like Majestic did and move it outside of the sim. So you have to approach this with an appetite suppressant, somethings are just not doable.

Looking at various Carenado King Airs that I have purchased (C90, B200, B1900, and the C90GTx) I have to admit they get better and better FDE wise each time. The C90GTx is a pure pleasure to fly. (Considering cheap plastic controls on an inexpensive simulation platform.) I have never seen any major engine performance related issues. Ultimately, however, you have to compare some book numbers with subjective, it feels right.  A true review of the FDE performance of this product will have to be tackled by someone who has allot more free time then I. 

I am not certified on the PC-12 and will refrain from commenting on that platform. I understand the claims made, but have not the experience in the real airplane to compare them to. 

Thank you. I knew someone was a much better at using the Search Engine then I. 

MilViz scrapped the current version most everyone has (Alpha/Beta), and started over. So whatever version you have (all of which are incomplete anyway), probably will be completely different from final in all aspects.

Still think the coolest thing I've seen is the props slow turn during start up. wish more would figure that out!

Flight1 B200 is probably closest to real thing until MilViz final. It has a complete failure package, including brakes, oil levels, oil changes, engines, etc. Drawbacks: It has a funky throttle set up, and the prop spin during flight is just terrible... sorta like a fan in front of the TV.

Carenado: All the FDE's are done by Stolle.

Carenado: All the FDE's are done by Stolle.

If I remember correctly. Not anymore. (Read it here)

Apparently Carenado is now doing FDE's in house.

VNAV descent is still a mystery. Does the FMS calculate a descent point or is that up to the pilot.  ie does the pilot need to use an old 'prayer wheel" to match forward and vertical speed to find the miles from the destination to begin descent.

In most other cases, the XP10 versions are superior.

I will only by REP-ed versions of Carenado now; well except for the Navajo, but that's only because I really hope the P31 get's REP-ed.

I will only by REP-ed versions of Carenado now; well except for the Navajo, but that's only because I really hope the P31 get's REP-ed.

Yes, I was just wondering today which aircraft(s) Simcoders are planning to do a REP pack for next. I'd love to see something a little different from the last 3 single pistons;  Something like the B1900D, King Air 90/200s, or even if they 'fixed' up something more unusal, like the Pipersport, to make it more realistic.

I have to say though, that I do sometimes find REP a little frustrating - it's sometimes just too keen to fail things, if you don't work within the parameters.  Sometimes this keenness feels a ittle unrealistic.  Eg.   How many times do you get a 'vacuum lock'?    I get one almost every flight :smile:    If the engine stalls for any reason, I also get warned that "the avionics are failing because they should always be turned off for engine start/stop".    The software needs to be a little more modest and less keen to "throw all it's got at you" (feature-wise) on every flight.

I sometimes turn the failures off when they're acting a little OTT in this way.  Even with the failures off though, I love what REP does to the flight dynamics of the aircraft, I love the improved sounds, wind dynamics etc, and of course, I love the interactive walkaround which I actually think is better than A2As.

I have just one other frustration with it - my Checklist page keeps popping up on it's own for some reason.   Not great when you're on short finals.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Turn the checklist off in the settings. I think it's mouse gestures or something similar that I turned off because that was annoying.

As far as failures go I get very few  :Tounge: and many of the messages are hints (if you have hints turned on) reminding the pilot of best practice.

I don't seem to get the vacuum lock message that often tbh. 

VNAV descent is still a mystery. Does the FMS calculate a descent point or is that up to the pilot.  ie does the pilot need to use an old 'prayer wheel" to match forward and vertical speed to find the miles from the destination to begin descent.

As far as I can see the VNAV on this seems fairly rudimentary and a bit problematic. For this reason, although I am using the LNAV elements of the Proline 21 successfully, I have given up using VNAV and just use the ALT/VS buttons to control altitude. Unlike the FMS on the PMDG or iFly Boeings, this FMS will not calculate the 'top of descent' point for you, so I'm afraid it is back to the old prayer wheel method for this, but it all adds to the fun!

Bill

VS isn't too big of a deal if you try to follow pseudo real world ops for turboprops. For example, a 1000fpm descent rate is what ATC typically expects from turboprops, so that's an easy one. For climbs, I've been using VS to control speeds to maintain the following:

Sea level to 10,000 170 KIAS

10,000 to 15,000 160 KIAS

15,000 to 20,000 150 KIAS

20,000 to 25,000 140 KIAS

25,000 to 30,000 130 KIAS

35,000 to 40,000 120 KIAS

p.s.  To the lurker - FLC is widely used on king airs

I just installed v1.1 ... performance (FPS wise) is much improved, but any tips on getting the FLC to work -- I must be missing something?

Cheers, Rob.

I just installed v1.1 ... performance (FPS wise) is much improved, but any tips on getting the FLC to work -- I must be missing something?

Cheers, Rob.

Yes dont use it - use vs  - works perfectly - put in altitude up or down turn vs speed up or down depending on higher or lower altitudes then turn vs it will go to altitude every time - done I dont over think carenado anymore - works for all of them

Rich Sennett