Sign in to follow this  
mitchb

WIN10 & FSX addon scenery

how do I install addon scenery in FSX ? I can't find where it goes !

It depends on what you are installing.  Most software developers have installers that will install your addon in the proper folder.  For me, when the installer directs me to my installation of FSX, I tell the installer to install the product in a separate HDD.  The installer does what I told it to do and it also links the scenery in your scenery.cfg.

If you have software you downloaded from the AVSIM Library it usually contains instructions on how to install the scenery.  The scenery is downloaded to your HDD with a .zip extension.  You will then have to unzip the program by right clicking the zip file and telling it to extract the scenery.  Windows will then place the scenery on your HDD with the name of the scenery, say, LasVegas.  Under LasVegas there will be a Scenery folder.  In this folder goes all of the files with a .bgl extension.  Also, under LasVegas there will sometimes be a Texture folder.  In this folder goes files with a .dds extension.  You then have to link the scenery and you do this in your Scenery Library by starting up FSX and then selecting Settings and then Scenery Library.  In the Scenery Library, on the right side it will have an "Add" button.  Click on this and it will open up Windows Explorer show all of your directories and files on your computer.  Go to the folder where you place the scenery (it can be anywhere on your HDD/SSD) and click on LasVegas.  Give it a Title so you will know what it is and then hit Okay.  Sometimes the scenery does not show up in the Scenery Library when you click on Okay.  In this case, you need to click on Add again and go to the location of the Scenery.  Instead of clicking on Okay, you click on anywhere in the white space within Windows Explorer and the scenery should then show up in your Scenery Library.  This is a known FSX bug.

There are tons of tutorials across the Internet on how to install AddonScenery.  Just click on the Google button in the upper right hand corner and type in "how to install addon scenery into fsx" and you will get thousands of places you can visit to learn how to properly install the scenery.  I wish one of our members could provide a tutorial on the step-by-step instructions for adding scenery with images of the process, etc., and maybe someday soon that will happen.  :dance:

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

say I want to install KAFW download. there is a a KAFW already in FSX how do I get rid of it ??

I can't find FSX files in C drive, or "this computer"   I hate WINX.

say I want to install KAFW download. there is a a KAFW already in FSX how do I get rid of it ??

KAFW is not a default scenery for FSX.  You must have installed it.  Open up Windows Explorer - http://www.digitalcitizen.life/9-ways-open-file-explorer-windows-10 .  In the left column look for the fsx directory, click on it and then look for the installation of KAFW.  Most likely it will be in the Addon Scenery folder.  Delete it.  Now you can install KAFW again.

In Windows 10 you can also click on the search bar in the lower left corner of your desktop and type file explorer and then look up in the menu and click on 'File Explorer'.  That will open up all of your directories. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have been able to install alot of scenery....BUT  new problem.

Installed KBOS and KSFO and a KORD  but there are no terminal bldgs. the walkout things and planes are there but no buildings.

problem seems to be with scenery of 2 files which go into addon scenery/scenery.

Glad you were able to get it fixed!

Submit News to AVSIM