Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

Asking for help w/ Sidewinder 2 throttle calibration

Guest azflyboy

Hello all,I have a bit of an issue I was hoping someone here could help me with.I have a Sidewinder 2(not the FFB model)that is a couple of years old, and the throttle is now not registering all the way open or closed in FS. If I apply full throttle on the joysitck, FS only reads this as 99% throttle, and if I fully close the throttle, FS reads 1% open. I have gone into the windows joystick setup and have calibrated the throttle with a "dead zone" on each end so that the throttle control has a bit of slack on each end. Although this fixes the issue according to the calibration software in XP, it appears to make no difference in FS at all. I have played around with the controller settings in FS, but nothing seems to fix this, and I don't have the $25 to regsiter FSUIPC to solve this issue. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Guest JIMJAM

Its been years since I swore I would never own another Sidewinder,but after 3 of em I say save up and get rid of it. I have had nothing but troubles with them and calibration was a joke. On 2 of them, it was impossible to calibrate it and I found out the problem was the dirt cheap electronics. One of the best value out there is the Saitek X45. After a year of strong arming it I am yet to have any problems.

Guest azflyboy

Aside from the throttle thing, I have never had trouble with my Sidewinders. Does anyone know how to fix the throttle bug?

Hi.I've had a number of problems with Precision 2 model, the FF and the Pro version, Gameport / USB have been flawless.Does it calibrate OK in the Control Panel? Not knowing the entire system and what changes you may have made recently, here is what I would recommend:Make sure that your Null zone is set to Zero and your sensitivity set to Max.If you have another controller in the system check to see if the Throttle axis is only assigned to one, / SW precision 2, controller.If you added any new utility that may affect your IO ports / hardware use DXdiag to verify that no conflicts exist.If you are connected through a Hub make sure it is powered, try a direct into Computer connector, or try another connector.If none of the above help, post your entire system here, and you will need to look for VIA or whatever chipset you may have, drivers, IRQ conflicts etc. TV

Guest azflyboy

If I go into control panel, It confirms what FS sees in terms of the throttle not opening and closing fully (with the throttle back, I see a small sliver of red on the slider axis). What I have done is recalibrated the stick, but when it says to move the slider through its full range of motion, I only move it through about 80% each way (so there is some extra movement on each end of the axis) and then when I go into control panel, is registers the throttle moving fully both ways. For some odd reason, FS refuses to see this and reverts to not registering the throttle slider at each end, even though I have tried every possible combination of nul zone and sensitivity for the throttle slider. I am using a 2.2GHZ p4 with WinXP home and all o the service packs.

Unplug it ....... wait about a minute.... plug it back in... then try to re-calabrate it. Thats a fine joystick second to none.Joe W.

Hi.The fact that you see the same thing in Control Panel is an indicator that something may have come loose inside the Stick?Save your, fs9.cfg, Rename it to fs9.cfg.ngj or something similar, than try to Recalibrate in Control Panel staying off the top bottom rails, then restart FS9 and have it rebuild the .cfg file. See if that helps. If it does, go into your old fs9.cfg.ngj and remove any settings about Joystick, or just add the mods you had previously to the new .cfg.My educated guess is that it may not help because MS thinks it knows more about the USB devices than CP tells it, and it may ignore the offset Calibration. You may have to take it apart and see if anything came loose. Make sure you Label / Mark screw locations, I think there were 4 white and 3 black, try not to mix them, some (2?) are under the rubber feet. Good luck. TV