Sign in to follow this  
torium

Dovetail Games Presentation @ FlightSimCon 2016

Thank you for the video

Well, i`m excited and in doubt equally.

I understand and appreciate the intentions and goals.

Then i look what they made with Flight School and can`t match it with what he said.

I don`t know how to express it.

For me it is simple as that: Give me a few weeks , FSX or P3D, freeware and payware addons and i will build you a better Flight School than DTGFS is now. I`ve done that years ago when i was active in FSX, more or less :P - In terms of graphic, functionality and educational objective, not technology.

I tweaked the hell out of it, installed more than 100GB of add-ons and it looked superb and was an awesome experience. But it was long and hard work to get it working. And one wrong click, wrong dash in the cfg, or add-on and everything was screwed up.

DTG: Just put together all the good things the community (and companies) developed over the years and convert to new technologies. Finished :wink:

I know it`s not that easy, but i fear you missed the course slightly.

Anyway we have to wait and see. Maybe it will blow my mind.

They are playing with their reputation on the Flight Simulator in winter. There we shall really see if they did their homework or not.

• Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Thanks for posting the video, it's nice to get more background as well as some sense of the roadmap.

For the DTG Flight Sim, I hope they recognize they can't build everything themselves and concentrate on making a great platform, like FSX/P3D, but with better support for great weather and ATC simulation so the 3PD products don't need to resort to hacks and kludges to work around sim limitations, and I hope they can incorporate some of the improvements made in MS Flight since they also have that code.

Good to know they will continue to update the built-in nav data as well.

I agree that with flight school they could have built the content on FSX/P3D, but that seems pointless. FSX is a dead platform, and P3D is not on Steam and likely never will be. Makes more sense to get the sim platform they are working on through some development cycles and start getting community inputs.

Barry Friedman

For me it is simple as that: Give me a few weeks , FSX or P3D, freeware and payware addons and i will build you a better Flight School than DTGFS is now.

You don't need a few weeks, just go to the learning center in FSX and there are a flight lessen system,that is as good or better then what DTGFS has now.

• Upvote 2

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks for the link! I thought the most interesting part of the video was during the Q&A, when one of the attendees had some things to say about the focus on progressing through tiers of pilot license upgrades. It's good to hear that this isn't forced (although the product would bomb if it was), but the audience member said that most people who have been flying sims for a long time, get their pleasure from mastering the art of flying, the systems, etc. If those are deep enough that's all we need. I'm definitely in that camp. 

I have a feeling, based on this creative director's focus on bringing in newcomers and giving people "something to do" with the training and upgrades -- which is perfectly understandable, given his personal history and the way rankings work in racing sims -- that DTG may be trying to avoid direct comparison with other sims by focusing on these aspects. At least for the initial release and probably the following year. They won't have many aircraft at first, and it will take time for 3rd parties to develop add-ons. So why not continue the focus on training, so at least it's one way that DTG Flight Sim will be different from what's out there now? They already have an investment in the programming for that with Flight School. 

Again, that's just a wild guess... but offering just a small stable of planes with additional training modules and a mini-game about license upgrades through CPL and ATPL would be a smart way to deflect criticism for limited content in the initial release, compared to FSX/P3D/X-Plane (with all their add-ons).

I wish them luck, whatever they end up doing. We could use another serious competitor in this market, even if it takes them a year or two to get there.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I could care less about progressing through the pilot licenses. Like has already been stated, a solid and expandable PLATFORM is what is needed. I get the feeling they are trying to reinvent the wheel here with all this "vision" stuff. Hang around here long enough and you will see what the people want. I think most would agree, we want a graphically beautiful sim, with the ability to have as many in depth systems as we please...or none at all. I guess, all in all, having someone at least trying to take the simming community to the next level is better than none. In the mean time, I'll just sit back and watch what happens. I haven't bought flight school, but just by watching the videos on youtube I know it's not for me, both in graphics and "fly-ability". I'd rather spend my $15 on cheap case of beer and spend my evening in the back yard playing my guitar around the fire.

I wish them luck.

• Upvote 1

Hang around here long enough and you will see what the people want. I think most would agree, we want a graphically beautiful sim, with the ability to have as many in depth systems as we please...or none at all.

I agree, I'm not looking for virtual pilot licenses either. I already have my flight sim role-playing needs satisfied in the FSEconomy game.

So what will it take me to really get excited about DTG Flight Sim? Well, it has to be better than X-Plane is now, or my other options with FSX/P3D and all the add-ons. That's a heavy lift for a new flight sim on the market, but maybe they can pull it off. I have money to spend, if they can do it. Like everyone else here, I'm watching and waiting.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

When Steven Hood (the Creative Director in the Flightsimcon video) was appointed by Dovetail, my hopes for the promised new flight sim on the block nosedived.

As some of you may be aware, he was previously with Codemasters' F1 franchise and promised us race sim fans the earth in much the same way as he's doing now. However, if you analyse what he says in this talk, in actual fact he says very little of much substance at all - essentially it's a wishlist of vaguely outlined attributes. Again a total similarity with how he tried to "engage", as he would put it, with the race sim community, who I can assure you have nothing good to say about him, or the arcade games that the Codies F1 titles have always been. There were all kinds of "sim" promises made when that title was first in development, with Hood very much in the limelight, something he seems to relish. Sadly, the substance of the titles he has worked on has been very lacking in the realism stakes. So why should this change now?

The conclusion many of us reached in the race sim world was that Hood doesn't really understand what an out and out sim is, as he is clearly a somewhat commercial animal, always with an eye on the biggest possible audience and "accessibility" which in financial terms equals dumbing something down to the lowest common denominator for maximum sales. When you think about it, that never applied to Flight Simulator, as it was essentially a flagship vanity project, encouraged by Bill Gates (and quickly and unceremoniously abandoned very soon after he relinquished day to day control of Microsoft).

Everyone deserves a second chance, of course, but has Hood really changed his spots....

Anyone who remembers the disastrous launch of F1 2010, the first in the Codemasters Formula One series, will already be fearing the worst.

What was most concerning about this presentation was how little there was to show us all, considering the launch is just a few months away - basically nothing at all.

• Upvote 2

Everyone deserves a second chance, of course, but has Hood really changed his spots....

Anyone who remembers the disastrous launch of F1 2010, the first in the Codemasters Formula One series, will already be fearing the worst.

Seems that majority of users would disagree with your assessment with 43 positive "Critic" reviews, 3 mixed, and 0 negative. Even the cynical user reviews are scoring it at a 7.8:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/f1-2010

• Upvote 2

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I really wish for Aerofly FS2...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

He reminds me of "Del Trotter", "Del Boy", the dubious market salesman in the old British Series "Only Fools and Horses"....and has the same Londoner accent! Jokes aside, I respect any developer who tries to move our beloved hobby to new heights.....

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I really wish for Aerofly FS2...

+1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

A very political presentation! Lots of promises and platitudes and the release product "Flight School" doesn't cut the mustard either. Bot the flight training in FSX, FS9 and aerofly 2 are better. Aerofly 2 gives you a rating so that you know you need to practice and improve. Dovetail are beginners in an already established and crowded market. When they release their flight simmulator if it doesn't blow the competition away then it's best that it is quietly dropped.

• Upvote 2

For the DTG Flight Sim, I hope they recognize they can't build everything themselves and concentrate on making a great platform, like FSX/P3D, but with better support for great weather and ATC simulation so the 3PD products don't need to resort to hacks and kludges to work around sim limitations, and I hope they can incorporate some of the improvements made in MS Flight since they also have that code.

I hope Dovetail listen - and understand what is being communicated: