Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Should I uninstall FSX now?

Well with the Migration Tool, nearly every FSX addon will install into P3D just fine.

I uninstalled FSX perhaps in 2009 when P3D v1 came out. I uninstalled P3D v1 maybe 2 years ago and P3D v2 3 - 4 months ago, so the only ESP based sim I have installed now is P3D v3.3.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Go here Jack.    Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Roaming ► Microsoft   FSX    Open this folder and move your exe.xml and dll.xml file out and save it somewhere,     Now Delete these 2 files,  Start FSX and see if that does anything,   That's the first step  

Brilliant, will give it a try.  Thanks again Elaine, you're awesome, how did you learn all this?

Well with the Migration Tool, nearly every FSX addon will install into P3D just fine.

I uninstalled FSX perhaps in 2009 when P3D v1 came out. I uninstalled P3D v1 maybe 2 years ago and P3D v2 3 - 4 months ago, so the only ESP based sim I have installed now is P3D v3.3.

I will probably end up the same but I'll miss a lot of sceneries and planes I have in FSX :(

You would need to edit your scenery.cfg files directly - I probably wouldn't recommend that unless you already knew how or were happy to experiment.

You could also do it through Options->Scenery Library, taking care to get the order the same in P3D as in FSX. That's a bit more tedious.

This won't work with sceneries that update parts of FSX other than the scenery.cfg file - eg ESI, ORBX and the like as they change autogen and xml etc etc.

Or sceneries with protection (ie anything bought through Steam).

Take a copy of the existing scenery.cfg file first....

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith, not going to go this route then.  I wish all sceneries had manuals like the way Elaine writes.  The world would be a lot easier.  She could make a fortune writing manuals!

Jack Sawyer

What's FSX??

Yes, I have the same question, my grandson used to fly it.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Assuming you have FSX and P3D installed. Just copy and paste one chosen scenery from one to the other. Some have effects and a scenery/world/scenery entry as well, but not all. Then fire up P3D and install to the library.

Assuming you have FSX and P3D installed. Just copy and paste one chosen scenery from one to the other

You don't even need to do that, especially if you installed the original scenery to somewhere outside the FSX install folder...I share all of my addon sceneries, saving many GBytes :)

Cheers

Keith 

Go here Jack.    Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Roaming ► Microsoft   FSX    Open this folder and move your exe.xml and dll.xml file out and save it somewhere,     Now Delete these 2 files,  Start FSX and see if that does anything,   That's the first step  

Ok, I did this and sure enough it removed the runtime error.

I looked in the dll.xml and find no reference to UT2 but I do find it in the exe.xml.

I could post the text and you could tell what to remove.

But I have to go out right now, real life doctor appnt.

Thanks Elaine.  You're a genius!

Jack Sawyer

Brave decision Jeroen :wink:

I am a collector of some sort; I still own my set of floppy discs of X-Wing and System Shock. I never had the guts to throw these pearls away (and some other not-so-pearls too). I got them for hard earned money at the time, same for my FSX copy.

They need to bury these media with me when the day comes :Tounge:

Cheers

Frank

Haha, well, I learned myself not to get attached to things. And to the past. I think I throw away almost everything you can throw away. Saves a lot of space too. ;) To quote yet another song about this: you've got to leave it behind. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwKEdFoUB0o

Assuming you have FSX and P3D installed. Just copy and paste one chosen scenery from one to the other

You don't even need to do that, especially if you installed the original scenery to somewhere outside the FSX install folder...I share all of my addon sceneries, saving many GBytes :)

Cheers

Keith

Yes, that's the beauty with P3Dv3.x. The feature of remote effect, sound, etc. folders saved me from a lot of duplicate addon installs.

@Jack: read this post if you haven't done so already: http://www.avsim.com/topic/476713-prepar3d-v3-configuration-files-for-add-on-developers/

Do not worry about the batch file talk. It's the concept of the remote paths you can set in the different *.cfg files which may be of interest to you.

Cheers

Frank

Guest Mik75

Hi Jack,

Having removed FSX (steam edition) a couple of times to avoid the extra management issues I can give you a high level idea of what's involved. Regardless of whether its boxed FSX or the Steam Edition.

A couple of points before you consider this path.

1. Orbx are taking over the management/sale of their stuff at the end of this month. All your stuff will migrate to Orbx and apparently can be installed directly from the new FTX Central V3. I mention this because if you decide to do a clean install it will soon be much easier to install your Orbx products. And yes the wrapper is going going gone.

2. If you recall when you installed P3D and all your add-ons you directed them to the P3D install folder. Removing or deleting anything in the FSX folder has no impact of the P3D folder. To test rename for FSX install folder to - say FSX.imnothere. Having done that run P3D everything should work. After testing rename FSX.imnothere back to FSX.

For these steps I'm not going to go into minute detail as you may decide to blow it all away. Anyway this is what you have to consider - with some tips thrown in.

1. Start / All Programs

Go through every folder and when you find a uninstall for the FSX version run it.

2. When done go to Control Panel / Programs and Features and scan through every install for any programs associated with FSX and uninstall.

Tip. Don't remove utilities that serve both FSX and P3D. These need to remain for P3D use.  Later, you will just need to edit the preferences. Some examples are PFPX / Plan-G / ProATC. Of course if the utility is for FSX only then uninstall it.

3. Uninstall FSX.

4. Delete the FSX folder that is left behind. (there will be a lot of files)

5. Remove the FSX Folder from My Documents.

6. Delete FSX references in appdata/local/microsoft and appdata/roaming/microsoft

7. Delete reference to your FSX install in the registry.

8. With Orbx FTX Central it may still think you have FTX installed. We might need to double check this because of the new "no need to select hybrid mode" version. But I think you just need to delete FSX references in appdata/local/orbx/ftxcentral/simpersist

9. General clean up work for uninstallers than leave behind folders and .ini files etc.

10. I generally then reboot and run ccleaner to clean the registry.

11. Go to each of your utilities and change any preferences that reference FSX.

Before you do any of the above . STOP, think and absorb. Ask questions before you start and if it doubt, err on the side of caution. I'm comfortable in doing this and don't see a downside, but believe me I have backups of backups.

BTW to anyone interested in backing up their systems. I highly recommend 2 free products. I have both installed.

1. Macrium Reflect Free Edition - I have this set to backup daily.

2. Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5 Free Edition - This is easier to use, and I use it too do a quick backup as needed.

A backup tip - with the rapid spread of ransomware I strongly suggest you disconnect your USB backup drive after performing a backup. This nasty piece of work can and will encrypt your backups if you get infected.

Cheers,

I just asked myself that exact question in a different thread. What happens to the scenery in P3D that has FSX installers and that was installed into P3D, using the EMT.

I am all on SSD, and I am thinking about getting rid of FSX to have sufficient space for a XPX reinstall.

But doing it the way you described, shouldn't do any harm to my P3D install, right?