Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Should I uninstall FSX now?

I'm torn. Since installing UT2 into P3d 3.2 I can no longer use it in FSX, when FSX runs I get a UT3 Runtime error :(.

So I was thinking of uninstalling FSX.

However, I'll miss quite a few add-ons like FlyTampa Boston, a new one will supposedly be out next YEAR, I can't have Tongass X, can't have Approaching Innsbruck, or Nice France LFMN, can't have my Carenado Piper Sport Cruz, L42 by Marble Canyon, Legacy FlightBean KSFO and I'm NOT going to buy the new one, it's an OOM nightmare, can't have Taxi 2 Gate's St. Lucia which I really like, or the Carenado 337.

And I am not going to reinstall that wretched migration tool out of the question.

So how should I uninstall FSX with all the add-ons in it?

I Can't just erase the X drive, I'll have to uninstall ASN SP4, those items mentioned above, and what else should I do, where do I even begin?

This seems to be a daunting challenge.

How do I uninstall FSX without messing up P3D?

Jack Sawyer

That question is for you Jack and only you,  But...........

Personally i would concentrate on Prepar3D for the minute,  build it to your liking, fly it and if your happy with it in a couple of weeks, you have your answer,  Bouncing for Sim to Sim can be nothing more sometimes then a headreck.

In saying that though,  What version of FSX do you have MS or Steam? 

MS Gold boxed. That's just the tings. Since I installed P3D I've spent ALL my time setting it up. I had/have to DL over 48 Orbx's from FSS and am still doing as I type this.

Things are installing fine.

Having some intermittent problems with EZVA and TRIR, Mike at TRIR told me EZCA takes OVER TRIR.

So sometimes TRI will work with EZCA, others not. It ALL depends on the startup sequence.

I even made a list of the correct sequence!

So I haven't spent any time in FSX.

The thing I really need to know though is where do I begin?

What do I uninstall first and whatever I do uninstall, will it mess up P3D?

Jack Sawyer

You could consider to make a complete system overhaul. New windows installation, programs, P3D, ... . It depends how many time you want to invest. I did it when P3Dv3 arrived, Never looked back.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Hi Jack,

Having removed FSX (steam edition) a couple of times to avoid the extra management issues I can give you a high level idea of what's involved. Regardless of whether its boxed FSX or the Steam Edition.

A couple of points before you consider this path.

1. Orbx are taking over the management/sale of their stuff at the end of this month. All your stuff will migrate to Orbx and apparently can be installed directly from the new FTX Central V3. I mention this because if you decide to do a clean install it will soon be much easier to install your Orbx products. And yes the wrapper is going going gone.

2. If you recall when you installed P3D and all your add-ons you directed them to the P3D install folder. Removing or deleting anything in the FSX folder has no impact of the P3D folder. To test rename for FSX install folder to - say FSX.imnothere. Having done that run P3D everything should work. After testing rename FSX.imnothere back to FSX.

For these steps I'm not going to go into minute detail as you may decide to blow it all away. Anyway this is what you have to consider - with some tips thrown in.

1. Start / All Programs

Go through every folder and when you find a uninstall for the FSX version run it.

2. When done go to Control Panel / Programs and Features and scan through every install for any programs associated with FSX and uninstall.

Tip. Don't remove utilities that serve both FSX and P3D. These need to remain for P3D use.  Later, you will just need to edit the preferences. Some examples are PFPX / Plan-G / ProATC. Of course if the utility is for FSX only then uninstall it.

3. Uninstall FSX.

4. Delete the FSX folder that is left behind. (there will be a lot of files)

5. Remove the FSX Folder from My Documents.

6. Delete FSX references in appdata/local/microsoft and appdata/roaming/microsoft

7. Delete reference to your FSX install in the registry.

8. With Orbx FTX Central it may still think you have FTX installed. We might need to double check this because of the new "no need to select hybrid mode" version. But I think you just need to delete FSX references in appdata/local/orbx/ftxcentral/simpersist

9. General clean up work for uninstallers than leave behind folders and .ini files etc.

10. I generally then reboot and run ccleaner to clean the registry.

11. Go to each of your utilities and change any preferences that reference FSX.

Before you do any of the above . STOP, think and absorb. Ask questions before you start and if it doubt, err on the side of caution. I'm comfortable in doing this and don't see a downside, but believe me I have backups of backups.

BTW to anyone interested in backing up their systems. I highly recommend 2 free products. I have both installed.

1. Macrium Reflect Free Edition - I have this set to backup daily.

2. Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5 Free Edition - This is easier to use, and I use it too do a quick backup as needed.

A backup tip - with the rapid spread of ransomware I strongly suggest you disconnect your USB backup drive after performing a backup. This nasty piece of work can and will encrypt your backups if you get infected.

Cheers,

• Upvote 1

howevr

Hi Jack,

I have not flown in FSX anymore since the release of P3Dv2. In the meantime I am on P3Dv3.3 and have not regretted it. However, I have kept my old FSX (and P3Dv2) installations in order to experiment with addons that are by definition not P3D compatible. This way I can install into FSX and move over to P3D whatever addon I like to try. The emphasis is on trying for my own purposes!

If things turn out to be not working then there is no moaning and groaning, instead they get removed and that's it.

That's why I found keeping FSX on my system to be very convenient.

Cheers

Frank

Last weekend I threw my hardcopy of FSX, which I bought on the day of release (so I nearly had it for 10 years), into the garbage bin. For some reason I kept it lying around, just for old times' sake or something like that, even though I never touched FSX anymore since the day P3D v2 was released (apart from a time test after a year or so). But now it's gone. Forever. Together with a few disks of add ons I never plan to use anymore. Good riddance. Bye bye. 

You could consider to make a complete system overhaul. New windows installation, programs, P3D, ... . It depends how many time you want to invest. I did it when P3Dv3 arrived, Never looked back.

Hi nemo, that's completely out of the question.  I'd rather get out of flight sim than do that.  It would probably take me a literal year to do that.  I had my system built for me by and they did all the work so I didn't have to do that.  My hobby is flying not installing and modifying.  I try to keep it to an absolute minimum.  If there's no easy way to install it I don't want it.  But I just went through a couple of day's hassle installing UT2.  It worked but ONLY because of Poppet's excellent guide.

Hi Jack,

I have not flown in FSX anymore since the release of P3Dv2. In the meantime I am on P3Dv3.3 and have not regretted it. However, I have kept my old FSX (and P3Dv2) installations in order to experiment with addons that are by definition not P3D compatible. This way I can install into FSX and move over to P3D whatever addon I like to try. The emphasis is on trying for my own purposes!

If things turn out to be not working then there is no moaning and groaning, instead they get removed and that's it.

That's why I found keeping FSX on my system to be very convenient.

Cheers

Frank

I like your idea Frank, this I might decide to do.

Last weekend I threw my hardcopy of FSX, which I bought on the day of release (so I nearly had it for 10 years), into the garbage bin. For some reason I kept it lying around, just for old times' sake or something like that, even though I never touched FSX anymore since the day P3D v2 was released (apart from a time test after a year or so). But now it's gone. Forever. Together with a few disks of add ons I never plan to use anymore. Good riddance. Bye bye. 

Hi Jeroen, I want to believe me but I'm going to keep it for a little while longer until as Elaine says P3D has all my add-ons installed and I'm satisfied with it.  Only then would I consider dumping it.

Hi Jack,

Having removed FSX (steam edition) a couple of times to avoid the extra management issues I can give you a high level idea of what's involved. Regardless of whether its boxed FSX or the Steam Edition.

A couple of points before you consider this path.

1. Orbx are taking over the management/sale of their stuff at the end of this month. All your stuff will migrate to Orbx and apparently can be installed directly from the new FTX Central V3. I mention this because if you decide to do a clean install it will soon be much easier to install your Orbx products. And yes the wrapper is going going gone.

2. If you recall when you installed P3D and all your add-ons you directed them to the P3D install folder. Removing or deleting anything in the FSX folder has no impact of the P3D folder. To test rename for FSX install folder to - say FSX.imnothere. Having done that run P3D everything should work. After testing rename FSX.imnothere back to FSX.

For these steps I'm not going to go into minute detail as you may decide to blow it all away. Anyway this is what you have to consider - with some tips thrown in.

1. Start / All Programs

Go through every folder and when you find a uninstall for the FSX version run it.

2. When done go to Control Panel / Programs and Features and scan through every install for any programs associated with FSX and uninstall.

Tip. Don't remove utilities that serve both FSX and P3D. These need to remain for P3D use.  Later, you will just need to edit the preferences. Some examples are PFPX / Plan-G / ProATC. Of course if the utility is for FSX only then uninstall it.

3. Uninstall FSX.

4. Delete the FSX folder that is left behind. (there will be a lot of files)

5. Remove the FSX Folder from My Documents.

6. Delete FSX references in appdata/local/microsoft and appdata/roaming/microsoft

7. Delete reference to your FSX install in the registry.

8. With Orbx FTX Central it may still think you have FTX installed. We might need to double check this because of the new "no need to select hybrid mode" version. But I think you just need to delete FSX references in appdata/local/orbx/ftxcentral/simpersist

9. General clean up work for uninstallers than leave behind folders and .ini files etc.

10. I generally then reboot and run ccleaner to clean the registry.

11. Go to each of your utilities and change any preferences that reference FSX.

Before you do any of the above . STOP, think and absorb. Ask questions before you start and if it doubt, err on the side of caution. I'm comfortable in doing this and don't see a downside, but believe me I have backups of backups.

BTW to anyone interested in backing up their systems. I highly recommend 2 free products. I have both installed.

1. Macrium Reflect Free Edition - I have this set to backup daily.

2. Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5 Free Edition - This is easier to use, and I use it too do a quick backup as needed.

A backup tip - with the rapid spread of ransomware I strongly suggest you disconnect your USB backup drive after performing a backup. This nasty piece of work can and will encrypt your backups if you get infected.

Cheers,

Thank you David, this was exactly what I was looking for, a how to step-by-step.  I'm going to keep it a little while longer but print this out for future use as it will most likely go in the trash when P3D is ready.

Jack Sawyer

With FSX installed you can copy and paste all your sceneries that don't have a P3Dv3 installer. Most work fine. Trial and error.

• Upvote 1

With FSX installed you can copy and paste all your sceneries that don't have a P3Dv3 installer. Most work fine. Trial and error.

What?!  Seriously?!?!?  How do I do this exactly?  Can you give me very explicit instructions?  This would save me an enormous amount of time.

How does P3D know?  Would I have to add them via the scenery library or something?

Jack Sawyer

Last weekend I threw my hardcopy of FSX, which I bought on the day of release (so I nearly had it for 10 years), into the garbage bin.

Brave decision Jeroen :wink:

I am a collector of some sort; I still own my set of floppy discs of X-Wing and System Shock. I never had the guts to throw these pearls away (and some other not-so-pearls too). I got them for hard earned money at the time, same for my FSX copy.

They need to bury these media with me when the day comes :Tounge:

Cheers

Frank

On that note, in order for me to not keep getting that UT2 runtime error in FSX is there a way to remove the calls to it in the exe.xml or the dll.xml or Simconfig or any other files?

Go here Jack.    Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Roaming ► Microsoft   FSX    Open this folder and move your exe.xml and dll.xml file out and save it somewhere,     Now Delete these 2 files,  Start FSX and see if that does anything,   That's the first step  

What?!  Seriously?!?!?  How do I do this exactly?  Can you give me very explicit instructions?  This would save me an enormous amount of time.

How does P3D know?  Would I have to add them via the scenery library or something?

You would need to edit your scenery.cfg files directly - I probably wouldn't recommend that unless you already knew how or were happy to experiment.

You could also do it through Options->Scenery Library, taking care to get the order the same in P3D as in FSX. That's a bit more tedious.

This won't work with sceneries that update parts of FSX other than the scenery.cfg file - eg ESI, ORBX and the like as they change autogen and xml etc etc.

Or sceneries with protection (ie anything bought through Steam).

Take a copy of the existing scenery.cfg file first....

Cheers

Keith