Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gordius

TO GET THE MOST REALISTIC EXPERIENCE

I tried VATSIM last week, and found the controllers to be most helpful. You just enter 'Newbie' in your comments section and they know your situation. Also the squawkbox program has features that allow you to send private text messages to other pilots or controllers, so you can get easily advice without everyone hearing it.If your a new pilot you can register at VATSIM and read the training documents in the PRC. Then just connect to the network and listen in at one of the busy airports. There are also videos out there showing real flights on VATSIM.John.

Yea, ServInfo has been dormant in the past few years, but the developer has announced recently to develop an updated version. I think it's a pretty nifty tool.

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

>???????? ThAT'S HARD????????????? THAT'S FRIENDLY AND POLITE AND NOT CONDESCENDING IN ANY WAY????I'm sure he appreciates the help, BUT when I first got into FS, it's responses like that that kept me from asking for help.IMO-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Pilot-The friction locks are causing the throttle levers to stick.Mechanic- Umm, that's what they're there for...

I've been flying on VATSIM since 2002 and i just can't imagine flying offline with dumb default ATC. I fly online by all flying rules ( V / I / Y / Z ) with jets , pistons , turboprop and helicopters all over the world. It's great when you can talk to foreign ATC controller. Thanks to VATSIM I made international radio ticket to my PPL with no problems.But I wish that IVAO and VATSIM somehow could merge so 1500+ pilots online everynight would be normal situation.Ericson

You obviously don't know the history of the networks, and the reason why there are several...And competition is a good thing. The existence of several options is what drives them all towards improving themselves.

Yeah, there was SATCO which separated into IVAO & VATSIM. I've nothing againts the comptetition but from pilot point of view there are holes in ATC when flying across Europe becouse country X is on VATSIM and country Y on IVAO. Back to SB 2.3 times I used to switch between networks to get full coverage across the route. :D But now I dunno if FsInn is IVAO compatible...VATSIM has good software and network but least 2x traffic factor would be good. More traffic = more controllers and so on...Ericson

>I enjoy the super realistic AI traffic I have put into the>game way too much to fly with a few airplanes here and there.>I am not familiar with the terminology or all the correct>procedures to fly online either. Personally I don't mind the>robot AI as the world is full of traffic. Just today sitting>at the ramp at Anchorage watching all the cargo birds come in>was amazingExactly :). I've spent ages getting the various AI planes running ... why should I switch that off just to see a few semi-realistic planes ... and reduce my system performance by running the various apps?!?!?! :-hmmm

Guest cactus

By the way you make it sound and how much AI you have going on the , you are dragging the performance down 5X more than you would by using ONE program called SB3.

>and reduce my system performance by running >the various apps?!?!?! :-hmmmThe AI you are using is a much bigger drag on your system performance than Vatsim/Squawkbox/Multiplayer.And what multiple apps are you referring to ? We only use one App to get on Vatsim.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest av84fun

Did you report the controller? They can be put "on report" just like pilots can.Best,Jim

Guest bobsk8

>I've been flying on VATSIM since 2002 and i just can't>imagine flying offline with dumb default ATC. I fly online by>all flying rules ( V / I / Y / Z ) with jets , pistons ,>turboprop and helicopters all over the world. It's great when>you can talk to foreign ATC controller. Thanks to VATSIM I>made international radio ticket to my PPL with no problems.>>But I wish that IVAO and VATSIM somehow could merge so 1500+>pilots online everynight would be normal situation.>>Ericson>> >I just did a flight this morning in the Hurricane in South Florida and used FS9 ATC for the first time in months. Turn to heading 130( one minute later)Turn to heading 100(45 seconds later)Turn to heading 130all this mixed with continual altitude warnings for the same 3 aircraft... you are 300 too high, you are 300 too low, you are 300 too high........ etc..etc......If I had been running AI seperation, I am positive that there would have been at least 3 aircraft on final for ILS 12 at Miami, all cleared for landing at the same time.... :) Give me Vatsim anyday....

Guest Gordius

Help for new pilots. In AVSIM chat there is usually me (IVAO Pilot) another (IVAO ATC) and another (VATSIM Pilot). We often talk with each other re IVAO esp and have helped a few new pilots (I was one such pilot who had loads of help from the ATC guy). Pop into chat anytime we pretty much live there even when flying :-)Andrew BrownRoaring Thirtieshttp://www.gordiusfs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/192029.png

>>http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo...reensh/smap.jpg>>To be honest I'm lost as the difficulty you have having with>it. My experience is it installs like any other program. you>run the install .exe, select the folder to install it in, then>start it up.>>Press the Vatsim button and a few seconds later, there is the>information.>>There's nothing more to it than that really.>>Regards.>Ernie.>Ernie quite some reminissant screenshot you've got there. group flights have indeed some nice memmories.I remember [link:http://data.vatsim.net/stats/private/list11.html?flag_date=true&region=LGAV&auth_num=&date_from=30%2F11%2F2002&date_to=30%2F11%2F2002|that day] of the LGAV EBBR flight (your screenshot) which I could not make it to the groupflight because my girlfriend wanted to go to the movies !!!Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:vateur.org|VATSIM-EUR][link:hvacc.org]Hellenic vACChttp://vateur.org/staff/vateur_m.jpghttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/810309/3.png

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

My fear is that if competition goes away the urge to improve (or even stay at the current level) quality goes away as well.I've heard of people being banned from one network or the other for the simple fact of being a controller on the other.If that didn't happen controllers could work either network depending on traffic needs.The restrictions VATSIM (and maybe IVAO as well) has on controllers working outside their assigned sectors and stations also hurt.For example some sectors have controllers aplenty but at any time there may be only one station manned with controllers waiting for their turn to control there because they're not allowed to control elsewhere.Those people would love to provide service but VATSIM policy prohibits them, leaving maybe 4 or 5 stations needlessly empty...That's being complained about on the VATSIM forums btw, who knows it may change over time.

My Tiger Moth is non-radio equipped thankfully and I keep well away from controlled airspace preferring VFR bimbles to sleep-inducing IFR flights across featureless MSFS landscapes.If VATSIM had flares then maybe I would participate;)RegardsAdam