Sign in to follow this  
kevinh

Instrument Glass Reflections

I have to say that in all the videos I have watched on YT of the DC6, the instruments have been perfectly legible. If PMDG have modelled a transient high reflecability as the sunlight passes through the cockpit then that is realistic. That's how it is with steam instruments particularly with a/c of the DC6's vintage. So you guys clamour for more realism and when you get it, "Oh no, it's not what we wanted!" lol

Hi "whatever your name is" (you know the rules here)

I think usability has to come before ultimate realism. It's a desktop sim. The AFE feature recognises this. It wouldn't be unrealistic to be able to read the instruments clearly most of the time, and when the sun can get into the cockpit it will make the instruments lighter and less readable anyway.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Baking in static reflections is not very dynamic or realistic. It is like back in the old monitor days, when you used to be able to bake an image into it, by keeping something open for to long. people complained about that because you would see the same thing over top of what you wanted to see. Then when dynamic screen savers came out you can see the pixel turn on and off and so that stopped the image from backing into the screen. Right so looking at the same pilot wearing the same Flannel shirt and it is the same angle for every flight and as you move the camera then that is not like real life right? it is like baking an image into the screen. When you move your head around the cabin of a real plane you will see the reflections "moving" relative to the angle that you are looking at the panel with. Like if we look at the panel perpendicular we will see our face. If we look at the panel with a different phi then you see the reflection "look down" or "look up" . And as your theta changes you will see the reflections of things more the the left and right respectively.

Best of luck and hope to see you in a dynamic mirror,

Nick Paine

Baking in static reflections is not very dynamic or realistic. It is like back in the old monitor days, when you used to be able to bake an image into it, by keeping something open for to long. people complained about that because you would see the same thing over top of what you wanted to see. Then when dynamic screen savers came out you can see the pixel turn on and off and so that stopped the image from backing into the screen. Right so looking at the same pilot wearing the same Flannel shirt and it is the same angle for every flight and as you move the camera then that is not like real life right? it is like baking an image into the screen. When you move your head around the cabin of a real plane you will see the reflections "moving" relative to the angle that you are looking at the panel with. Like if we look at the panel perpendicular we will see our face. If we look at the panel with a different phi then you see the reflection "look down" or "look up" . And as your theta changes you will see the reflections of things more the the left and right respectively.

Best of luck and hope to see you in a dynamic mirror,

Nick Paine

The reflections in the DC-6 aren't static. The lightened effect on the instruments isn't a reflection as such.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The latest update provides a noticeable and very welcome improvement on instrument readability. Thanks PMDG.

Reflections are still an issue for me and I still think it would be good if a toned down version was available as an option. Just one alternative texture would do the trick.

ki9cAAb.jpg

If you think reflections are an issue in the DC-6 I would recommend you stay well away from a glass cockpit where they are ever present and can be exceptionally distracting.

No complaints here about the DC-6 and its panels.

Darren Howie

Darren Howie

Darren,

I've got many glass cockpit addons, mostly in FSX, a couple in XP, with no issues regarding reflections. If you read the whole thread you'll see I edited a VC texture to tone down the reflections in the DC-6. PMDG have updated some gauge textures which improved readability. These changes have greatly improved things.

ki9cAAb.jpg