Sign in to follow this  
Drizzle

i5-2500K vs. i7-4790K for P3D/CV1

So you would recommend the 6700K for use on a system that ONLY does P3D V3?  Any "gotchas" to be aware of?  Any issues to watch out for, like problematic MoBo's or other incompatibilities?  

Win10 Home 64-bit | i7-6700k (OC-4.7GHz) | MSI 3090 VENTUS 3X OC | ASUS Z170-A | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3000 | 5 Samsung EVO 850 SSDs | Corsair 1000W PSU | MSFS2020 (plus P3D V5.x not yet deleted) | HP Reverb G2 | Honeycomb Alpha yoke & Bravo throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Cooler Master HAF 912 case | 

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'm confused.

I'm considering upgrading from an 2600k@4.2 GHz to a 6700k or 6800k and clocking it as far as it can go on a decent cooler. Looking at the CPUboss page it looks like the single core performance of the 2600 and 6700 is identical, even though the clock speed of the latter is 0.6 GHz higher. That can't be right? Has the really been no improvement in single core performance for the past four years?

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

Its a bug in CPU boss , single tread AES is MB/s for 2500k ,2600k and GB/s for 6700k

The 2500k is mor then 400 Times' faster but should be 2.53 GB/s to 5.83gb/s the 6700k is faster.

The same bug with 4770k, 4790k

Thanks for the clarification. That is a pretty inconvenient bug.

Based on this, and the fact that I have had to clock down my CPU lately because it has been getting warmer, it looks like I will pull the trigger and go for a 6700 K.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

My learning point from this, as with a lot of threads over the past few years, is that there's little compelling reason to upgrade from an overclocked 2500K.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

My learning point from this, as with a lot of threads over the past few years, is that there's little compelling reason to upgrade from an overclocked 2500K.

20% slower than Skylake I recall. Other reasons you might regard as compelling are fast DDR4, USB 3.1, NFC, M.2, U.2 etc, etc.

With Skylake I'd say it's worth upgrading from 2500K. I run two systems myself. One OC'd SandyBridge-E and one OC'd Skylake. The Skylake system is giving me noticeable better FPS in FSX during gameplay without needing to look at any FPS numbers. When it comes to photo scenery texture loading however... the 6core SandyBridge-E is still noticeably better at that but at a lower FPS. OC'd Skylake with fast DDR4 is notably faster than SandyBridge, not to mention the improvements the whole platform gives.

Yes. Skylake is 4.5 years later and 'only' faster enough to make a difference. But, you will clearly notice the difference without having to resort to reading numbers from a benchmark. If we look back a further 4.5 years we're at the introduction of Core2 and for that matter, the top of the line hardware at the introduction of FSX. The improvement from the first Core2 CPUs to SandyBridge was a lot, lot larger than SandyBridge to Skylake. A further 4.5 years back and we are talking the first Pentium4 CPUs and AMD Athlon, miles behind the Core2 line. So the single core processor improvements have really slowed down. But they haven't completely stopped.

Well said Sir.

Well said Sir.

Except that SAAB340 has just confirmed that... "The Skylake system is giving him noticeable better FPS in FSX".

That seems like a good reason to me.

Think a had a quite fast SandyBridge 2700k , iam pleased with the 6700k.

Its time for vacation and lot work with other projects, back in a couple of months.

See you

Have a well deserved rest and recreation Hasse! Your input and expertise is widely appreciated.

Kind regards,

Yeah, its sad to see only a 10% gain in frame rate with such a $$$ purchase.