Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

New Rex SkyForce 3D - The ASN Killer?

In short, a lot of new clouds but the usual high resolution texture in 2d that turns around you. I don't think this is something i will be interested in having a previous product already

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

In short, a lot of new clouds but the usual high resolution texture in 2d that turns around you. I don't think this is something i will be interested in having a previous product already

Let's wait and see ;-)

André

Well, for sure I am buying one of them. The REX one looks really good from what I've seen and read. Not really much is known about HiFi's. Gonna have to see who the canaries are and read some reviews.

Eric 

Let's wait and see ;-)

yes of course :) i will be more than happy to be proved wrong, and hey, if the product is worth it will consider it too.

Those are just my fresh impressions from the video AND from that statement that was quoted above

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

As I use Prosim I need ASN as my weather engine ( weather radar ).

At this moment I have several REX cloud products.

I can only hope that ASCA will also have realtime cloud Texture loading or that a future Prosim will work with both weather engines.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I assume that the new REX addon is going to use real-time METAR data to revise the cloud type while the sim is running. REX Texture Direct 4 with Soft Clouds presently does that if one picks a weather station, but of course, that texture theme is static during the entire session of P3d.

The question that I have is, how can that new approach not add to the computational burden?

I can only hope that ASCA will also have realtime cloud Texture loading

At 1:40 of the Hifi video that you posted, they claim to have a dynamic mode that updates textures in real time.

Correct that's new we had previous textures loading before starting based on the WX metar with ASN and REX, but never during flight ;-)

But do we see that transition happen too in flight?  Or does it happen seamlessly?  IIRC from the videos, there's about a 10 second segment that shows this and it's an instantaneous "flash" from old to new?  Guess I'll have to watch the vids again.  I'm not sure now...

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

They are setting very high expectations, looking forward to see the product and what it actually achieves. For a moment I thought they are setting this all up 'outside of core sim' like Majestic did with the Dash 8? Anyway, all innovation is welcome, keeps ASN, Opus on their toes too!

this looks great . check this video out 

, i would love the day something like this can be done without a performance hit flying through a real 3D cloud ...
  • Upvote 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Same, but sadly that would first require volumetric clouds to be in :( And it's something we have never ever seen on the Flight simulator series

Cloud, clouds and more clouds....I purchased REX 4..."best textures ever", "developed from the ground up", and then came Soft Clouds when I thought I already had the best. And I had the previous version Rex Essential plus overdrive! which had clouds flight planning, etc..And now more clouds. Really? A product with all the good "buzz words".."Sky Force!! 3D!!" Can you really see the difference with all these clouds? REX is a great product, no mistake..but how many iterations are possible? I've been through all the cloud textures and REX releases, and when flying, I would never be able to determine the set that I have installed..they all look great! but all the same! We should post pics of clouds and let users determine the type of cloud shown...a general knowledge quiz? I'm not knocking a developer....but every release is always "the best ever" until the next release.....ASN is currently a pure weather engine and if they want to go into textures, then all the best for them. But REX have been through everything..pronounced products which never really materialized and now new mixtures of existing products.....I give up...I'm totally confused...my head is "in the clouds"..

• Upvote 5

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Textures that will be loaded while flying is a big step.

That means that on a longer flight different cloudsets will be shown...

Correct me if I am wrong...

You are correct but that doesn't change my point: my current skies look quite varied already during one flight session, let alone during various sessions. I really doubt I will actually notice different cloud sets being shown. To me clouds are clouds. And 'clouds looking different using only one set' is the same to me as 'clouds looking different with 10 sets'. Different is different and I don't see the point to add another 'different' to that. ;) I don't use REX because I like the (free) skies I already have and never felt the need to load up different cloud sets. I am not willing to pay just for the IDEA that things are changing all around me all the time during a flight. But hey, maybe when the first reviews come in I will change my point of view: maybe there are new features that are actually worth the money. ;)

It's your Avatar...take those dark glasses off....;)

LOL

a cloud is still a cloud... Looks all the same to me

Hey! It tooks them 2 years to develop. :)

Same, but sadly that would first require volumetric clouds to be in :sad: And it's something we have never ever seen on the Flight simulator series

So true.  We have to move beyond 'pretty' to 'real' when it comes to clouds. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

.I give up...I'm totally confused...my head is "in the clouds"..

Me too, i gave up on REX and the 14+ installers to bring it up to date, then try and integrate soft clouds and you have to uninstall again and restart because you went to far..... =@

• Upvote 4

tpewpb-6.png