Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Best replacement for (faulty) Saitek X52s?

I have two of these, but they drive me crazy. If they worked they would be great, but the axes and rotations keep going off-centre, so aircraft basically do circles with no input from me. MadCatz actually replaced my X52 some months back (and the fact that a faulty mouse component sent my cursor walking uncontrollably across the screen every few sessions), but the new one is just the same. I am really fed up of having to pause FS, unplug the X52 (which minimises my FS to the taskbar) and plug it back in again (which clears the axes for a while)! Plus the fact that I have had to disable USB3 on my PC, because the Saitek software causes BSODs with it enabled...

Problem is, two of these didn't come cheap and I have all the buttons set up as I want them too (plus the fact that I have been using the X52s since they came out and operate all the buttons and switches as second nature now - to have to change controller would be a nightmare!!).

Nevertheless, that would be better than these continually interupted flights, so I wondered if anyone can recommend a similar controller from a different maufcaturer. I have submitted yet another support ticket meanwhile, I'll report back if I get anything interesting as a reply.

Others with the X52 have this issue too, I assume? I think I have seen a number of similar complaints in other forums...

Martin

Stupid question, but have you tried calibrating them through FS? I owned two and except for a squeaky rudder axis on both, they were really great for the few years I had them. I have a Logitech 3D pro now and like it just fine. Only £40. I recommend it. 

I don't think it's a calibration issue. They work fine most of the time (I've used X52s for years), then suddenly (due, as far as I can see, to turning the axes almost as far as they will go, for tight turns when taxiing for example), the default, 'zero' point suddenly ends up off to one side of centre. So planes will no longer taxi in a straight line..

But what do you mean exactly by 'calibrate them through FS'?

Go and get the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. Will last forever, very precise, responsive, and have tons of buttons and switches to play with. The drawback, it's is around USD 450.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

If the Thrustmaster Warthog is a bit too rich for your blood, try out the CH Fighterstick. It's loaded with buttons, hats, etc., works with all versions of Windows, and will last you forever.

http://www.chproducts.com/Fighterstick-v13-d-722.html

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Go and get the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

Oh, now you've done it, Ed!!! I'd never paid it any attention before, now I am wondering...  I'd need to get a LOT of questions answered before I part with that amount of cash. On the other hand, having recently given up full-time work to look after my aged mother, I now spend hours and hours on FS9 every day (one of the distinct advantages of the change!), so I could (kind of) 'justify' it!!

I notice straight away of course that the buttons are pre-labelled, so room for personalisation must be a lot less than the X52 (?). Would I be able to more or less reproduce my X52 setup (with the three modes, red, orange, green all pretty much programmed) on the Thrustmaster? Not really so keen on having, for example, an APU or autopilot engage/disengage switch for example - I always do that via the a/c panel.. And as I said, the X52 is second nature to me to use, and given that I have two of them (what a waste to ditch them!), there are not just financial arguments for me keeping what I've got.

I've submitted a ticket to Saitek-cum-Madcatz, so I'll see what they say. That Thrustmaster does look pretty awesome (not a word, as a Brit, I use very often!!) though, I must say..

Not sure about the Fighterstick... I never fly military a/c. I need something for Boeings and Airbuses (and Cessnas too sometimes).. A button to shoot missiles would never get preseed :smile:

Maybe the Thrustmaster too is more suited to military flying??? The name says it all really, no?

Martin

Newegg frequently puts the Warthog on sale for $299.00. Its  well worth that price just be patient and set a price alert on it at neweggs site. 

Edit I just realized youre in the UK. 

Stuff here is always more expensive than in the States.. I hate comparing Amazon.com with Amazon.co.uk!! On the latter it's available for £277, which is currently just short of $400 :mad: About the cheapest I've found.

Not sure it's really what I need though, especially at that price. For instance (I know I said this), I don't really want labelled and pre-set switches for engines, APU and so on, I always set those kind of things up in the aircraft cockpit... If it were totally geared to commercial aviation rather than military, I'd 'treat myself', I am sure. I wish the X52 were this solid...

Microsoft Sidewinder Force-Feedback 2! Pair it up with FS Force software and you get a whole new level of immersion in FSX. Plug&Play in Windows and I can't recall ever having to recalibrate mine. You can pick up a good one on eBay for about £60 - they're built like tanks.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Can anyone tell me why when I brake using the X52 the brakes just stick on and I have to double tap the trigger to release them. Right pain in the a@$e when you just come to a dead stop when all you need to do is slow down a bit.

Cheers

Karl

Thanks. I do have a Sidewinder (but not force feedback) as a backup for my X52s... It's pretty good but I need all the programming options.

Can anyone tell me why when I brake using the X52 the brakes just stick on

Does the same thing happen when you use the brakes keyboard shortcut? If so, you need to check in the Assignments (FS menu) and see how you have the brakes option set (not repeated action).

Will check later but off the top of my head I don't think so.

Karl

Oh, now you've done it, Ed!!! I'd never paid it any attention before, now I am wondering...  I'd need to get a LOT of questions answered before I part with that amount of cash. On the other hand, having recently given up full-time work to look after my aged mother, I now spend hours and hours on FS9 every day (one of the distinct advantages of the change!), so I could (kind of) 'justify' it!!

I notice straight away of course that the buttons are pre-labelled, so room for personalisation must be a lot less than the X52 (?). Would I be able to more or less reproduce my X52 setup (with the three modes, red, orange, green all pretty much programmed) on the Thrustmaster? Not really so keen on having, for example, an APU or autopilot engage/disengage switch for example - I always do that via the a/c panel.. And as I said, the X52 is second nature to me to use, and given that I have two of them (what a waste to ditch them!), there are not just financial arguments for me keeping what I've got.

I've submitted a ticket to Saitek-cum-Madcatz, so I'll see what they say. That Thrustmaster does look pretty awesome (not a word, as a Brit, I use very often!!) though, I must say..

Not sure about the Fighterstick... I never fly military a/c. I need something for Boeings and Airbuses (and Cessnas too sometimes).. A button to shoot missiles would never get preseed :smile:

Maybe the Thrustmaster too is more suited to military flying??? The name says it all really, no?

Martin

I forgot to mention that MadCatz should have released by now the new X56, which I suppose is similar to your X52Pro, but newer and with more features for sure. Also, I forgot to comment that Thrustmaster Warthog can be programmed in multiple ways using its TARGET software that you should install in addition to the drivers.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Martin,

Its still set to . as the brake action which works fine. Its just when I use the trigger on the X52 it sticks on

Karl

What do you see to the right of the Keyboard entry? Mine shows Button 1 under Joystick and the Repeat slider is all the way over to the right. Did you check your X52 programming is set correctly too?