Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

How do I remove these shoreline waves?

I've gotten to a point where I'm really pleased with how my game looks, except one thing; the shoreline wave animations. They are big, there's waaaaay too many of them and they are absolutely everywhere. Even harbours are completely filled with them. They are repeating so fast and are even overlapping, the effect looks extremely bad.

These are the waves I'm talking about, you see them along the shore and in the small harbour area;

oQ5kpdt.jpg

I found a post, over on sim-outhouse that mentioned you can comment out (//) Effect=wavecontroller and Effect=lakewavecontroller in the terrain.cfg (I assume it's the one in C:/ProgramData/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v3?) and I did. However the above imagine is taken after having done that, on some custom scenery (Vidan Endelave).

So how do I get rid of these completely, without turning down in-game sliders?

Another example, I took some time ago after a re-install of 3.2, a small harbour-looking area where it was really bad; http://i.imgur.com/tOIJPaV.jpg

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I dislike them too...way too fake for my taste.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

This is the main reason why I am still using v3.1.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have UTX and in UTX menus you have option of turning waves off. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Well, the crude solution also listed in the sim-outhouse thread worked;

Head to the Prepar3D folder and make a backup of the "Effects" folder, just in case. 

Then head into the Effects folder and find the following files;

- wavecontroller.fx

- lakewavecontroller.fx.

If you have OrbX (not 100% sure you need to do it with this one, or if it holds the same effect but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it)

- ORBX_wavecontroller.fx

Open both (or all 3) and at the bottom, you'll find the line "effect.0=fx_waves, -30,0,-3, 30,0,15, 1,4" or something to that effect. Change that entire line to something like "effect.0=fx_dummy".

And no more waves.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

As you mention them, I find the ORBX shoreline waves much better sized and behaving and would not get rid of them (you can seen them e.g. around San Francisco with proper wind). I actually like them.

It's the native Prepar3d waves (which you'll find outside FTX Regions) which I find way too fast moving and unnatural indeed.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

As you mention them, I find the ORBX shoreline waves much better sized and behaving and would not get rid of them (you can seen them e.g. around San Francisco with proper wind). I actually like them.

It's the native Prepar3d waves (which you'll find outside FTX Regions) which I find way too fast moving and unnatural indeed.

Kind regards, Michael

Appreciate the heads-up. I will go restore the Orbx file then. 

Hmm, maybe you can add the OrbX effect the the default wavecontroller files, get the OrbX effect on the other terrain as well ...

In any case, thanks.

I have absolutely no idea why LM introduced those waves....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Same reason they introduced avatars.    :wink:

I've gotten to a point where I'm really pleased with how my game looks, except one thing; the shoreline wave animations. They are big, there's waaaaay too many of them and they are absolutely everywhere. Even harbours are completely filled with them. They are repeating so fast and are even overlapping, the effect looks extremely bad.

These are the waves I'm talking about, you see them along the shore and in the small harbour area;

oQ5kpdt.jpg

I found a post, over on sim-outhouse that mentioned you can comment out (//) Effect=wavecontroller and Effect=lakewavecontroller in the terrain.cfg (I assume it's the one in C:/ProgramData/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v3?) and I did. However the above imagine is taken after having done that, on some custom scenery (Vidan Endelave).

So how do I get rid of these completely, without turning down in-game sliders?

Another example, I took some time ago after a re-install of 3.2, a small harbour-looking area where it was really bad; http://i.imgur.com/tOIJPaV.jpg

Looking at your screen shot, much more than the waves, those 3 foot long raindrops sure kill any thought of realism for me. I got  PrecipitFX  months ago, and rain that looks like rain. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Looking at your screen shot, much more than the waves, those 3 foot long raindrops sure kill any thought of realism for me. I got  PrecipitFX  months ago, and rain that looks like rain. 

I am using PrecipitFX ... This is also an extreme case where I'm floating around with OpusFSI camera. It looks a lot better in planes / during flight.

Oh well, final update. Running the entire OrbX package (Base, Vector, LC) and I also had to modify the ORBX_wavecontroller.fx and ORBX_lakewavecontroller.fx with the same lines as above -- Might not even have to modify the base wave and lake controller? The ORBX_ controllers seem to take precedence over the base controller files.

In any case, waves are gone and I'm happy.

WoEtN0S.jpg

Open both (or all 3) and at the bottom, you'll find the line "effect.0=fx_waves, -30,0,-3, 30,0,15, 1,4" or something to that effect. Change that entire line to something like "effect.0=fx_dummy".

And no more waves.

I love the waves myself but they are far too fast.

Anything here to slow them down?

Thanks,

gb.

Hmmm. maybe because real shorelines often have waves?

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I love the waves myself but they are far too fast.

Anything here to slow them down?

I can try looking into the .fx file for the waves. Think I may already have found a solution.

Okay, tinkered with it a bit and just trying to understand the different values. This is just a quick attempt at slowing down the waves + the frequency.

Do note: This is modifying the OrbX effect + wavecontroller file. They may look different per default but they take precedence over the "stock" files, when using OrbX products.

http://i.imgur.com/lHuifhT.gifv

Nice! Care to share?

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11