Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

How do I remove these shoreline waves?

You bet I do, I just need to tinker some more, few values I need to tweak. Accidentally made the spawn time for waves quite long, as I just upped a bunch of values.

Also need to write a little guide, which values to modify. Fairly sure I'd land in hot water if I started sharing modified core game files.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Very good Sethos 

Also need to write a little guide, which values to modify

I want to see plenty of nicely snipped, cropped, informative, transparent and colorful pictures please :smile:   

I want to see plenty of nicely snipped, cropped, informative, transparent and colorful pictures please :smile:

LOL.  With witty dialog too! 

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hmmm. maybe because real shorelines often have waves?

IMO, if you are going to display waves, then display them properly. Otherwise, don't display them at all.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm done messing around with it and won't come much closer to what I was imagining.

As I posted on the previous page, this is roughly the result I've achieved; http://i.imgur.com/lHuifhT.gifv

I edited the wave file directly, meaning it's slower, the "follow-up" wave is also slower. Also turned up the time span where these waves are rendered significantly, meaning they are less frequent. The increased time span where they can spawn, is based on a random timer. So you may see a quick burst of a lot of waves or a lull of several seconds with no waves at times.

1) Backup

Before you do this, back up your "Effects" folder, located in the Prepar3D main folder. Just in case you don't like the result.

2) (Optional) Download Notepad++

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ - Must have tool for editing config files and the likes, in my opinion.

You can also just use something like Microsoft's Wordpad if you prefer.

3) Editing the files

The files you need to edit, will depend on whether you are using OrbX products or not. I am not sure at this stage, which OrbX product takes over the wave generation, but I obviously imagine it's in the Global / Vector / LC package. Also note, I'm using OrbX, so all my editing has been done and tested with OrbX wave files. I apologise if you aren't getting a similar result with the base files. However, from what I can see, they are identical in structure and in most of the settings.

Without OrbX, we will be looking at these files, located in the Effects folder; lakewavecontroller.fxwavecontroller.fxfx_waves.fx

With OrbX, these are the ones we will be editing: ORBX_lakewavecontroller.fxORBX_wavecontroller.fx and ORBX_waves.fx

You only have to edit one of them. ORBX_ fx files take precedence over the base files.

ORBX_waves.fx / fx_waves.fx

Open the appropriate file with your text editor of choice.

Scroll down to [Emitter.0]

You want to find and change these 3 entries, to the values listed below;

Lifetime=1.00, 1.50
Delay=0.00, 1.00
Z Particle Velocity=2.00, 4.00

Scroll down to [Emitter.1]

Change the two entries to these values;

Delay=3.80, 3.80
Z Particle Velocity=-3.00, -2.00

Save.

Wavecontroller + Lakewavecontroller / ORBX_Wavecontroller + ORBX_Lakewavecontroller

The contents of these files are all identical, except the effect they are pointing at and how often it executes them. You have to make the same change to both your files, depending on whether you use OrbX or not.

At the bottom of each file, there's two entries we want to change - The ones in bold;

ORBX_ / Wavecontroller.fx  

delay=1,35
effect.0=fx_waves (OrbX users will see ORBX_waves), -30,0,-3, 30,0,15, 1,35

ORBX_ / Lakewavecontroller.fx

delay=1,35
effect.0=fx_lakewaves (OrbX users will see ORBX_lakewaves), -30,0,-3, 30,0,15, 1,35

Save the file and you should be done.

Note for OrbX users: At this point, I'm not sure if the OrbX files cover ALL the global waves, or the default waves can still be played. If the above settings work, then great. If you want to be sure or go somewhere the OrbX waves aren't you can either 1) edit the base files with similar value 2) point the effect.0= to ORBX_waves and ORBX_lakewaves or 3) change the effect.0 to effect.0=dummy_fx and nothing else, effectively disabling the file.

------------------

And that's about it. Hope someone finds the tweak to their liking.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

It's a good improvement.  I'd hazard to say that they could even be slower.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

It's a good improvement.  I'd hazard to say that they could even be slower.

I did try but the way these waves are rendered in the fx files is a bit odd. They also come in multiple pieces that needs to be synchronised.

I'll keep looking into it but this is the best I can do for now :) But I would also like them slowed down even more. 

Thank you for your effort, i wish there were was more freedom to configure these from within the simulator. And in real time as well :) :) :)

</dreamer>

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Can somebody let KNOSSOS aware of this ?   We have a new TAB for his next version of PTA  :smile:

WAT1460.png

Can somebody let KNOSSOS aware of this ?   We have a new TAB for his next version of PTA  :smile:

This is a good idea. Sethos, if you are agreeable,  I can contact him as I spoke to him recently about an improvement that I suggested. Otherwise you could certainly PM him to discuss. Let me know if you want me to reach out to Yuri (KNOSSOS).

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

This is a good idea. Sethos, if you are agreeable,  I can contact him as I spoke to him recently about an improvement that I suggested. Otherwise you could certainly PM him to discuss. Let me know if you want me to reach out to Yuri (KNOSSOS).

I wouldn't mind that at all. Though, as something to keep in mind, probably shouldn't rely too much on the above settings until they have been tested properly by a handful of people. I haven't tested them extensively myself yet, so they may have some issues.

Okay, tinkered with it a bit and just trying to understand the different values. This is just a quick attempt at slowing down the waves + the frequency.

Do note: This is modifying the OrbX effect + wavecontroller file. They may look different per default but they take precedence over the "stock" files, when using OrbX products.

http://i.imgur.com/lHuifhT.gifv

Good work.

That's a big improvement.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.