Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

P3D 64 bit status

Pardon me if the question as been asked before.

I am considering upgrading to P3D. I have held off in hopes that Lockheed will release the 64 bit version. I don't care to purchase the product twice.

Is Lockheed still planning a 64 bit version, or is this merely wishful thinking? If they are planning a release, will it be an upgrade option for the 32 bit version or standalone purchase?

Any insight would be most welcomed!

Rich Boll

Wichita KS

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Is Lockheed still planning a 64 bit version? Yes

Will it be an upgrade option for the 32 bit version or standalone purchase? No

Zicheng Cai

No one will be able to answer your first question, and those being able won't do it. However, given all other simulators in development (XP, AeroflyFS2, and DTFS) are 64 bit I would expect they'll release one pretty soon.

Most probably this wil be either Prepar3d 4.0 or something completely new (call it Complet3d 1.0) and has to be paid for again.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I think most people agree that it's in the pipeline. The big question is; when. Majority seem to predict 4.0 and I agree. 

64-bit is becoming increasingly more important for P3D to move forward as a platform, LM knows this.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Thanks everyone.

I'll leave P3D on my wish list for now and make the jump when the 64 bit version comes out.

Thanks!

Rich

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Hi Rich,

I believe it is inevitable that there will be a charge for a new 64-bit version of P3D. LM will have put in a great deal of work to make the transition, and it will open a very wide scope for future developments in all kinds of simulation. LM will want a financial reward of some kind.

At the same time, LM knows that they have to ask for a level of compensation that will encourage a significant percentage of existing users to convert from FS9, FSX and P3Dv3 to gain its advantages. A part of the expected attraction will be the feedback reaction of those of us who do purchase the 64-bit edition.

As ever in a business which has to pay its way, there is a complex process of deciding where to pitch the conversion price. We shall not hear what this is until the product is announced. 

I am very hopeful that the benefit of the new will outweigh my pain of payment!

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Rich,

I believe it is inevitable that there will be a charge for a new 64-bit version of P3D. LM will have put in a great deal of work to make the transition, and it will open a very wide scope for future developments in all kinds of simulation. LM will want a financial reward of some kind.

At the same time, LM knows that they have to ask for a level of compensation that will encourage a significant percentage of existing users to convert from FS9, FSX and P3Dv3 to gain its advantages. A part of the expected attraction will be the feedback reaction of those of us who do purchase the 64-bit edition.

As ever in a business which has to pay its way, there is a complex process of deciding where to pitch the conversion price. We shall not hear what this is until the product is announced. 

I am very hopeful that the benefit of the new will outweigh my pain of payment!

Cheers, Richard

Just wondering if this conversion will involve replacing existing add ons and possibly even upgrading PC's to take full advantage of 64 bit, which would not be an inexpensive upgrade for many people. I clearly remember when the move from FS9 to FSX happened, and many didn't make the move because they just didn't have the money to do it at the time. I notice that the other 64 bit sim requires at least 16 GB of ram and they say 32GBs is even better, and I don't think most people have a PC that can handle that much ram. ( I may be wrong about this). 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Bob,

I think that LM will already know about these potential costs. After all, they are very much a part of our world!

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

The cost of the 64 bit upgrade of P3D won't be a real problem. The real problem will be the cost of all the addons that will have to be updated. Another problem will be the question if and when those addons will be updated. I think the 64 bit version of P3D will be the first sim I won't get on the day of release. I will only buy it once enough addons are available for it. I don't expect the cost of it all will be a real problem for me because in the end I simply want to be part of the simming future, no matter what. Luckily I only use a few addons. I pity those who own hundreds of addon planes and addon airports.

Bob,

I think that LM will already know about these potential costs. After all, they are very much a part of our world!

I'm sure LM can afford it.....

The cost of the 64 bit upgrade of P3D won't be a real problem. The real problem will be the cost of all the addons that will have to be updated. Another problem will be the question if and when those addons will be updated. I think the 64 bit version of P3D will be the first sim I won't get on the day of release. I will only buy it once enough addons are available for it. I don't expect the cost of it all will be a real problem for me because in the end I simply want to be part of the simming future, no matter what. Luckily I only use a few addons. I pity those who own hundreds of addon planes and addon airports.

The only comparison I can make is DTG and their new Train sim which will be 64 bit. They are already telling the 32 bit present users, that their current content will not be compatible and that they expect that many of these people will not switch to the newer version because of it. So what they have planned is to have two versions of their Train Sim, and to support both of them for the foreseeable future. I would imagine that LM will also consider taking that route. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I would like to think that the big players in the 3rd party add on department have already done some R&D for a 64 bit platform, and hopefully will be prepared to support sooner than later. 

JD

• Upvote 2

Just wondering if this conversion will involve replacing existing add ons and possibly even upgrading PC's to take full advantage of 64 bit, which would not be an inexpensive upgrade for many people.

For sure 64bit will break most addons that you have purchased, and you have to basically begin from zero. Then again X-Plane will become a serious competitor because they bring out v10.50 and they will be miles ahead of a naked P3D 64bit. It will take a long time until you will enjoy all the functionalties and sceneries that you have right now in P3D/FSX. But that's the price of development.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

For sure 64bit will break most addons that you have purchased, and you have to basically begin from zero. Then again X-Plane will become a serious competitor because they bring out v10.50 and they will be miles ahead of a naked P3D 64bit. It will take a long time until you will enjoy all the functionalties and sceneries that you have right now in P3D/FSX. But that's the price of development.

I have tried X Plane couple of times, and it has a long, long way to go to even catch up with 32 bit P3D. 

• Upvote 7

I have tried X Plane couple of times, and it has a long, long way to go to even catch up with 32 bit P3D. 

Yup FSX/P3D looks really good in comparison with the alternatives, especially when optioned out with a hundred and fifty or so add-ons! However this is now and that is then.

Sim-wise it looks like I am historically rich, but futurisitically poor!

Hope that makes sense to those in my weird kind of mindset. 

Kind regards,

• Upvote 1

I agree 100%

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB