Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Possible terrain issue?

Hello.  I just recently upgraded to P3D3.3.5 and also ASN SP5 as a background to my issue.  I'm not sure if this will have any relevance or not.

Anyway, since upgrading, I am not getting terrain to show on the ND most of the time.  A flight I did a couple days ago into LEBL(which has mountainous terrain all around it) did not give me anything showing up for terrain until I was on approach/at a low altitude and with a small range set on the EFIS.  But prior to that, I saw nothing for the entire descent.  Which, is unusual.  Never saw it like this before.  My next flight out of LEBL, switching to terrain mode showed returns for a few seconds and then disappeared again. I'm not sure why.  On my next flight, I plan to reset the panel state first and then try again and see if that fixes it.  Hopefully it will as I'm suspecting it's something on my side and with the current state of something possibly due to the upgrade.

I'm also curious though, has anyone else seen this?  What was done to fix it?  Is there any way I can look at a certain file or something to see for sure that I'm in an incorrect state somehow?  Just hoping to have some ideas I can look at to troubleshoot.

Thanks.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Please review the Terrain Peaks Mode option on pg 77 of your Introduction document.

The terrain data is organic to PMDG and neither P3D nor ASN has a role in how it is displayed.

Dan Downs KCRP

Please review the Terrain Peaks Mode option on pg 77 of your Introduction document.

The terrain data is organic to PMDG and neither P3D nor ASN has a role in how it is displayed.

I will dig up the doc and take a look.  However, if this is just teaching one how to use this mode, I'm not sure that will be of much help or contain my answer to my problem.  I've been doing things the same way(more or less) since the release of the NGX.  A flight the day before worked fine.  Then the upgrades and now it doesn't work.  Coincidence?

I think(can't remember for sure) that ASN messes with the dll.xml file, doesn't it?  I can't remember though if PMDG has dll in there or not now as it's been a while since I've been in there.  But, theory there would be what if ASN's update somehow messed that file up or caused the PMDG dll entry to go missing/not work?  Maybe the order of those being loaded?  Again, total theory and that would be assuming then that PMDG's dll(if there even is an entry there) contains the logic for terrain too.  But is also another thing maybe worth checking.  Though I would assume then that more would be broken than just terrain if this were the case.

Anyway, I'm still assuming this is just something 'out of whack' on my machine and still open to various ideas past RTFM.

Thanks.  :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Then the upgrades and now it doesn't work.  Coincidence?

Probably. Ever jump into the NGX and notice it doesn't have a HUD? Why? Where did it go?

I think(can't remember for sure) that ASN messes with the dll.xml file, doesn't it?

It adds stuff, but I haven't found it to be the culprit of the usual issues with that file.

Anyway, I'm still assuming this is just something 'out of whack' on my machine and still open to various ideas past RTFM.

To be honest? Dan's probably right...

Kyle Rodgers

To be honest? Dan's probably right...

Hmmm, thinking more into this...there is a setting that can turn this mode on/off, isn't there?  By the water in cyan stuff too, IIRC?  I know I've changed the cyan setting before and think there is at least one more related to terrain there.  I think I used a different aircraft livery/ini.  It's possible then that the setting would have been different than I've ever been used to/ran into before.  I'll have to check that too.  So then this is a case of RTFM.  lol.  Sorry to be another one of 'those guys'.   :fool:

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

I think I used a different aircraft livery/ini.  It's possible then that the setting would have been different than I've ever been used to/ran into before.

Bingo. That's what Dan was getting at, which is why he pointed to a specific page in the manual. To be honest, a specific page in the manual is much more than anyone can provide here by paraphrasing, so I don't see it as an RTFM at all - it points right to what you need.

Kyle Rodgers

Bingo. That's what Dan was getting at, which is why he pointed to a specific page in the manual. To be honest, a specific page in the manual is much more than anyone can provide here by paraphrasing, so I don't see it as an RTFM at all - it points right to what you need.

Yeah, sorry.  Wasn't trying to insinuate that Dan was being rude with that suggestion at all.  I do definitely appreciate the specific page as you're right, that is way more than most people get.  So, if I can maybe re-phrase and say 'Thank you' Dan, for pointing me right there - right to it.  I will check it out.  I'm sure this is what it is.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal