Sign in to follow this  
Crossdrop

How to enter winds in cruise?

Hey there, I know this topic has been talked about before, but I miss one important information (or somethings going on not quite right...)

When I want to enter the winds in cruise (between ToC and ToD) I go to any point in the 2nd flight plan page. Then I enter Temp and Winds as -50/HD050 in the scratchpad. When I then click on the LSK on the right of the respective waypoint, I get a "not allowed" message. Also this is the case for entering the wind only or whatever format I thought about.

Any suggestions?

BTW: Yes, I have the 1.20 Version installed.

The ACT F-PLN page 2 will show winds based on your entry on the F-PLN INIT page.

If you want to add specific winds for waypoints during your cruise, Press the right LSK (with the scratchpad empty) to bring up the revision page, where you can add wind in the format Flight Level/wind direction in degrees/wind strength.

Peter Schluter

Any suggestions?

If you are using an average cruise wind of say a headwind of 43 knots and temperature of -48 C enter it on page 1 of the FL-PLN INIT 6L. Enter 48/43 on the scratchpad, then line select it to 6L. The FMS will know that without a + or - sign the temperature is negative and wind is a headwind. If it was a tailwind, the entry would be 48/+43.

Don't even think about making entries for waypoints. It is to complicated too explain especially if the flight has step climbs, too easy to make a mistake in your entries, and takes a long time.

See page 10.18 of the FMS.

First and last names are required in all PMDG Forums - http://www.avsim.com/topic/458101-guidelines-for-participation-in-the-pmdg-forum-please-read/.

psschlute, thanks for the reply. Guess I didn't try that before. Unfortunately, the next opportunity to test for me is Monday. I will tell here if it works for me then.

Cheers and have a nice weekend!

pcubine: In that FMS section it is hard to understand how and where exactly I have to put in the winds for cruise flight. That's what I was asking.

And, also if it's complicated, I'd like to do this appropriately. On that very flight I had no wind during climb, but later up to 100 in cruise. So I wanted to put in a climb wind and the an average cruise wind, at least.

Sorry bout the name, didn''t know about it ;-)

Okay, in this flight it worked out with the Vert Rev Page. The flight before, I somehow was "not allowed" to get to the Vert Rev Page. How could this happen?

How could this happen?

Sometimes things work in sometimes they don't. It could be operator error or just a glitch in the FMS. On many occasions I have received the same message or "not allowed" when entering winds. I enter the same data as the first time on the scratch pad, click on Insert and the FMS accepts the entry. As long as you are on the ground or at cruise you have plenty of time to find a way around the messages.

Not a good answer. There never is. The FMS has a mind of its own.

Yeah...seems like PMDG has simulated that thing as real as it gets. As the FMS is just a computer, it sometimes does things differently when hitting the same buttons. We all know that ;) And that property of a computer was very well simulated :smile:

Yeah...seems like PMDG has simulated that thing as real as it gets. As the FMS is just a computer, it sometimes does things differently when hitting the same buttons. We all know that ;) And that property of a computer was very well simulated :smile:

Are you trying to enter the winds for cruise as an average or for a specific waypoint?

I looked for different phases in each of which the winds were not changing a lot and took an average for those phases. So in the end I had different "phases" of the flight with different winds. But I didn't enter the wind for each and every waypoint.

BTW: I look up the winds at SkyVector, but do you know a source where I can get the temeperatures from?

BTW: I look up the winds at SkyVector, but do you know a source where I can get the temeperatures from?
PFPX for certain or possibly ASN Briefing.

I had a chance to look at the ASN briefing and it has more temperatures than you will ever need. 

Hah...that would reqiure to have ASN purchased :D

For 29.99 EU + VAT it is money well spent.

Yeah - I want my FSX to increase slowly and not spend 50 € every month and then after one year and a half realize that it starts to be boring ;) As weather engine I keep an eye on FSGRW - maybe they also have temperatures for any altitude. At the moment I use a free weather engine (FSXWX) and am quite happy for what it does for free.